IGNORED

GPS

papatop49

That would be probably the same deal I linked here. The 765 is an older unit. They are getting harder to find. The reason I wanted one because I can build my own routes on my computer and import them on to it.

So I just looked around e-bay. It looks like you can still get some decent ones for around $45 and up. I would buy from a place that is an authorized seller and reconditioner and buy the insurance, its pretty cheap. There are some older units like a street pilot for around $20. They have more features, but the screen is a lot smaller. Then on top of not only buying the unit, you will be in another $40-50 for a bracket/holder for it. And if you ever change units you have to buy another one as they are made for each unit. Which got me to thinking. Do you need a GPS for making routes? Or are simply using to go from A to B. In which case you can use a smart phone, and you can load music on your phone or use Pandora. So while I was thinking of that it lead me to think of the mount. I bought a new mount for my cell from RAM mounts. Its sort of a spring loaded X deal. But it will fit lots of things and would work on all most any GPS or smarty phone. So I would look more in this direction instead of the "custom" fit mount. This is the one I used. pp_ramb174un7u.jpg

• 1 year later...

I also got the Garmin 765t a couple years ago and really like it. However, when going long distances, I didn't like that the FM transmitter would start cutting out if you have motored into an area where the station you are transmitting on is now in use by a radio station. You will get interference. To counteract that, I split the fairing and installed an audio cable directing into the sound system and plugged it into the Garmin. Everything seemed to be fine, except I couldn't get it to work. Until yesterday!!!! I finally discovered that on the Garmin there is setting in which you can choose FM transmitter or Internal Speaker. You must choose Internal speaker if you wish to hear anything over your audio cable. Now that I discovered that, I don't need to constantly find an unused FM station.

I won't tell you how many months (or years) it took me to discover that.

Yup ran into the "in use FM station" on my first long trip with my Garmin. Depending on where your riding it's not to big of deal. But the closer you are to bigger cities the more frequent it is. I to just built a cable and splitter and tapped into the Aux input and ran it thru the cable. Actually was clearer too.

That would be probably the same deal I linked here. The 765 is an older unit. They are getting harder to find. The reason I wanted one because I can build my own routes on my computer and import them on to it.

So I just looked around e-bay. It looks like you can still get some decent ones for around $45 and up. I would buy from a place that is an authorized seller and reconditioner and buy the insurance, its pretty cheap. There are some older units like a street pilot for around $20. They have more features, but the screen is a lot smaller. Then on top of not only buying the unit, you will be in another $40-50 for a bracket/holder for it. And if you ever change units you have to buy another one as they are made for each unit. Which got me to thinking. Do you need a GPS for making routes? Or are simply using to go from A to B. In which case you can use a smart phone, and you can load music on your phone or use Pandora. So while I was thinking of that it lead me to think of the mount. I bought a new mount for my cell from RAM mounts. Its sort of a spring loaded X deal. But it will fit lots of things and would work on all most any GPS or smarty phone. So I would look more in this direction instead of the "custom" fit mount. This is the one I used. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=97242

Where did you find your mount? The best I came up with on my phone is something that clamps the sides of my phone and a rubber strap to keep it secure.

Its called RAM mounts X mount. I looked on their site and collected the part numbers I needed for bits. Then searched e-bay for prices to see if I could score a deal. I think I still ended up buying from Ram mounts, as no deal was found on e-bay or amazon at that time.