IGNORED

What was I thinkin?

SilvrT

JohnT's dictionary lists "boat" as

A hole in the water surrounded by wood, metal, or fiberglass into which you :mo money:"

I do still own a "ghetto cruzer" for getting into camp and such, but it hardly sees the water anymore.

Have fun!

Even though I live in Fl where I could probably be on the water every day they are not for me. but if you like it thats what counts. I dont have good memories of boating when I was a kid and my dad had one. Way to much time in the shallows with motor raised and him changing a sear pin for the prop.

Nice boat, looks like fun.

But comparing a sail boat to a power boat is like comparing a 2nd gen to a 1st gen.....:stirthepot:

I had a boat for several years, Mine was probably one of few exceptions where I actually made money on the deal. It was a very fun boat being only a 16.5 footer and having a 250HP inboard engine. Had no issue popping up 4 big fat skiers.

But looking back I have to agree with the old adage that the two happiest days in this boaters life were the day I bought it and the day I sold it.

especially around here in the north where it seems the water is only soft enough for a boat a few weeks out of the year.

Mine was probably one of few exceptions where I actually made money on the deal.

Considering the age of this boat and the price I paid, and that I'll probably get rid of it in 3 yrs when I retire (coz I won't be able to afford the thing then), I figure I'll break even. Heck, even if I wind up selling for a grand less, that's worth it.

Interesting the "negative" comments posted ... seems they surface faster than the positive ones LOL ... kinda like "Joe Shopper" that never says anything good about his shopping experiences but doesn't hesitate to tell the world about the negative ones. :D

Owning a boat has been one of the greatest adventures we've had in life. The first was a 17' outboard with a 70 HP Mercury motor and the second was an 18' in board with a 208 Ford V8 engine. Great experiences and made many new friends with them. Taught many adults and kids to water ski. Towing the boats to distant lakes led to camping, so we could spend the week ends. Then, we and most of those friends ended up riding motorcycles and ran trips together. Happy days to look back at. I'm sure you'll truly enjoy that new boat!

Ah heck you can use that hing in the summer and then bring the Victory down here in the winter and ride.

That would be a great retirement plan .... but I think we'll only have money enuf for one "toy" and the bike will ALWAYS come first! :cool10:

We are on our third boat. We have had this one for 10 years. 19 foot 190HP I/O. We love it. We love the bike too. We have a 1926 Model T car that we love to drive around also. To each his own I say. Motorhome is for sale as we don't camp anymore. Lifestyles change.

I started owning boats not long after I got my first bike ( bicycle that is). I found I really loved sailing, especially in the gulf islands. Lots of challenges with freaky winds, extreme tides and insane stink potters ( er...I mean power boaters)

I say stop giving the man a hard time; at least his boat motor is made by the right company...more than we can say about his bike.:stirthepot:

There is that. :stickpoke:

Boats are fun. They really are. We had many great days in all of ours.

But every adage quoted here is true. First time I have heard Break Out Another Thousand

Our entire package, Nice trailer, 50 Horse Evinrude, and Starcraft aluminum boat was barely a grand. Before I peddle it I will put in a new floor and carpet and make money on it. And that will be a rare thing.

I grew up with a boat, used to love to get out there and ski, and was darn good at it. Later after my girls got into there teens we got another, we had a lot of fun with it- camping every chance we got and tubing skiing or just fishing from it. Great memories, kids all grown up now but they sometimes still bring up stories about camping and boating!

I grew up with a boat, used to love to get out there and ski, and was darn good at it.

I didn't have the luxury but I have been out with others on their boats and have done some water skiing years ago when I was about 1/2 my current age LOL. Got to be fairly good and was at the stage where I felt I could solo .... unfortunately things changed and I never got out again for maybe 20 years. By then, I'd lost all my strength and coordination and had to start all over .... but that's as far as I got ... start.

Well, I will try it again but I'm not expecting much ... but I do love getting up on the skiis.

That's a nice looking boat. I'm sure you will enjoy it!

I bought my first boat 7 years ago, an 18' Boston Whaler Ventura with a 150hp Yamaha OX66 2 stroke on the back. I work away from home most of the time and we haven't used it that much but it hasn't let us down yet on the water. It's a great feeling to be out on the water in our own boat!! I live a few miles from the coast. Other than a couple of batteries and regular service, the fuel pump failed probably due to getting gummed up from sitting and not being used. So, it hasn't been too bad so far. (Knock on Wood!)

• 1 month later...
B.O.A.T.

Break Out Another Thousand......

Well, these words have some truth to them, I am here to say....

Last Tuesday we got caught in a bad squall on the Shuswap lake and took on water while trying to tie up to a dock. Basically sunk the boat at the shoreline. Unfortunately the boat got pounded by the waves (3+ ft) against rocks under the water at the shoreline and the hull got scraped up pretty bad to the point of leaking at a couple places.

Luckily I was able to find a guy who could repair it for a reasonable price otherwise it could have become a write-off (considering it was older and we didn't pay a lot for it). Engine is fine, not sure about all the electrics yet but the bilge pump works and the engine starts. I think the stereo is toast.

Everything else was totally soaked (waves filled the boat to the top) and one of the seats got broken when somebody stepped on it during the process.

3 hours later things died down and we were able to bail out most of the water but we had to be towed back to where we were staying. Thankfully Nina and I are fine except I royally wrecked my back when I stumbled on a submerged rock and fell between the boat and that rock.

Folks at the cabins there say they've not seen a squall come up that fast and last for so long. It caught us off-guard and in the middle of the lake. For those who don't know, the Shuswap is a very large lake in the interior of BC. If you google it, we were appx 1/3 of the way between what's called "the Narrows" and where we were staying which is across the lake from Sicamous.

[ATTACH]86014[/ATTACH]

Edited by SilvrT