IGNORED

clutch gear whiiiiine TAMED 25% better YESssss

whineee TAMED 25% better YESssss

I have an 08 royal star and I put in a I basket last year it helped a bit !!!! I noticed that on the side stand while changing gears there is no oil in clutch chamber!!!!!!

HI the MAIN DRIVE GEAR SITS DRYYYYYY all the time on the side stand HMMMMMMMMM:detective:

I Now stand the bike up vertical when home. it coats the gears in a bath of oil which flows passively into the clutch chamber=I USE a combo of lucAs OIL 20/50 AND MOTOR kote also lucas oil additive helps with the noise too best yet! tried it for a week now well see if its accumulative:cool10:

I TRIED it leaned over on side stand again for two days and loud :backinmyday: WHIiiine was back there isn't enough oil on that gear while driving really

BUT if it is soaked it sticks which is lucas oil specialty so stand er up pour in your engine kote let it sit for day and 25% quieter try er out boys good luck THERE is in fact a center stand available from Rivco:080402gudl_prv:

http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=60&cat=202&page=1

:stirthepot: now for windshield pouches to tone down reflective noise HAS any body tried that?????:080402gudl_prv: :fingers-crossed-emo

progress.gif

Edited by RussLightwing

Would you have a part number and form whom did you order it from

I have to same issue I want to resolve

Most shops I say clutch basket they say OK

I mention I basket I just lose them

Is the motokote OK WIth the wet clutch ?

I have thought a couple of times when guys get in this discussion about trying something. We use to have an ocasional problem with some wear issues on straight cut gears in racing transmissions. Didnt care about noise. :whistling: But the gears would get hot spots and what looked like excessive wear. So we would take the gear face and mill or cut a couple small lines in them sort of angled from center to outer edge. Our theory was that it gave poil some place to collect and possibly cool/lube the gear. I wounder if anybody could try this with say a used basket and try. If you can get a thin film of oil on the gear face it should remove some of the face to face contact. Whats you all thoughts?

Would you have a part number and form whom did you order it from

I have to same issue I want to resolve

Most shops I say clutch basket they say OK

I mention I basket I just lose them

Is the motokote OK WIth the wet clutch ?

Another thread started the other day talking about clutch whine. I posted a link to one source and details on the clutch basket.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=86055

whineee TAMED 25% better YESssss

I have put in a I basket it helped a bit !!!! I noticed that on the side stand while changing gears there is no oil in clutch chamber!!!!!!

HI the MAIN DRIVE GEAR SITS DRYYYYYY all the time on the side stand HMMMMMMMMM:detective:

I Now stand the bike up vertical when home. it coats the gears in a bath of oil which flows passively into the clutch chamber=I USE a combo of lucAs OIL 20/50 AND MOTOR kote also lucas oil additive helps with the noise too best yet! tried it for a week now well see if its accumulative:cool10:

I TRIED it leaned over on side stand again for two days and loud :backinmyday: WHIiiine was back there isn't enough oil on that gear while driving really

BUT if it is soaked it sticks which is lucas oil specialty so stand er up pour in your engine kote let it sit for day and 25% quieter try er out boys good luck THERE is in fact a center stand available from Rivco:080402gudl_prv:

http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=60&cat=202&page=1

:stirthepot: now for windshield pouches to tone down reflective noise HAS any body tried that?????:080402gudl_prv: :fingers-crossed-emo

progress.gif

I'm just curious, Why wouldn't the clutch get an oil bath and lube when the bike is vertical and rolling?

HI thanks for the interest its passive the oiling in that part of the motor! So only a bit of spray on spinning parts a sparse bit of spray that's all! no direct stream on the gear that needs it most, it is barely oily/damp when I take off the cover! because it gets soo hot where the teeth are IT really needs a constant stream on the most used gear of the whole bike:lightbulb:

Motor kote has had no effect on slipping clutch plates ONLY one I found does that is ROYAL PURPLE OIL but I ran Castrol a great cleaner after and it returned to normal

I will further investigate gear dressing remedies which haVE BEEN RECOMMENDED IN SEVERAL ENGINEERING magazines for resolving gear noise in cars and manufacturing concern's like drawing lines in as they scrape the opposite face of individual gear drive and putting it one one side of tooth then alternate on clutch gears:detective: BUUUTTTT

how come when I let off the gas and engine braking happens it disappears ??????? all together did they reverse the clutch gear on the basket should the rivets on clutch basket it be removed from basket and gear flipped and reattached I would love to try! Could it even be done love to try :080402gudl_prv::fingers-crossed-emo Fascinating subject:080402gudl_prv:

:detective:PICKED UP' I ' basket went home and cracked her but still would have taken an hr I think to my best recollection IT is all immaterial really I think if you stand her up every day Just prop her up I use my toolbox under the engine guard with a steel bowl under the kick stand for over all stability try it for a week and see for yourself I still think pouring in the engine kote helps too with 20/50 lucas oil so good luck:080402gudl_prv::fingers-crossed-emo

I have thought a couple of times when guys get in this discussion about trying something. We use to have an ocasional problem with some wear issues on straight cut gears in racing transmissions. Didnt care about noise. :whistling: But the gears would get hot spots and what looked like excessive wear. So we would take the gear face and mill or cut a couple small lines in them sort of angled from center to outer edge. Our theory was that it gave poil some place to collect and possibly cool/lube the gear. I wounder if anybody could try this with say a used basket and try. If you can get a thin film of oil on the gear face it should remove some of the face to face contact. Whats you all thoughts?

hi thought a lot about it WHY these gears are so loud ONE reason IS the large gear is like a bell with the clutch housing attached Secondly if the Gears are miss aligned so it only touches on the side so I am thinking of dremeling a better face I will try that hatch pattern BUT why not bullseye two circles wouldn't it keep more oil on it JUSt curious what you think Do you hVW drawing of your idea to show im fascinating and will try it this week

thanks again Russ lightwing:bighug::cool10::fingers-crossed-emo

i basket helped a bit only I'm not impressed ORRRR they sold me an h or g in a I basket box I didn't know where the friggin I basket stamp was just put it in for 500 dollars im checking this week so 2 years on the I basket bud

FURTHER some of this problem may have to do with the 170 rear tire I put on too reduce wear get two years out of em BUT I can see perhaps this stresses the drive line in 5th IF THE OUSIDE DIAMETER IS LARGER THEN A 150 WILL CHECK etc too much hooo boy complicated stuff deduce this fom the fellow's comments after putting in a vmax rear end and the whine going away so easing the compression tension from rear end up using lower gearing is easier to turn just needs more rpms soooooo next change will be for 150 again tire in rear and maybe even a lowest profile one available HMMMMMMMMM the whine never ends but I love th bike otherwise so I will keep you posted on the 2 other experiments im planning yessss cheers russ :rotf::080402gudl_prv::cool10::detective:thanks

Edited by RussLightwing

i basket helped a bit only I'm not impressed ORRRR they sold me an h or g in a I basket box I didn't know where the friggin I basket stamp was just put it in for 500 dollars im checking this week so 2 years on the I basket bud

FURTHER some of this problem may have to do with the 170 rear tire I put on too reduce wear get two years out of em BUT I can see perhaps this stresses the drive line in 5th etc too much hooo boy complicated stuff deduce this form the fellow's comments after putting in a vmax rear end and the whine going so easing the compression tension from rear end up lower gearing is easier to turn just needs more rpms soooooo next change will be for 150 again tire in rear and maybe even a lowest profile one available HMMMMMMMMM the whine never ends but I love th bike otherwise so I will keep you posted on the 2 other experiments im planning yessss cheers russ :rotf::080402gudl_prv::cool10::detective::stirthepot:thanks

finding some way to get the oil to stick to the gear sounds like a wonderful idea possibly drill a couple of divets to the leading face of the gear alternatively also to the rear of the gear just to make sure makes sense either way I like this thread best thoughts in a long time just hope for a lot of you that it makes some difference that whine can be very annoying to say the least

I have tossed this out a few times now and never got a reply.

The first and second gen motors share a lot of parts.

First gens do not whine. (or they are to fast for the whine to catch up.:stirthepot:)

Will a first gen basket work in a second gen?

Has anyone tried it?

I tried a vmax basket in this :detective:it was an 85 same exact still whined worse chirped too:no-no-no: lolol :rotf:the old ones/first gen oiled the clutch gear better somehow differently the oil is in a bath as the piston crank spins in it with a tub wall separating the clutch chamber and the drive gear throws it up over this wall perhaps its too high on the new ones so the clutch ONLY gets a mist it needs a stream so I put in the MAX oil possible NOW:cool10:I NOW have a block/prop against foot peg that allows me to lean over the right side and the oil that sits in gear chamber flows in the clutch then I start it up while leaned right it coats the clutch and chamber for about 45 min clutch is quiet before the muted sound gets somewhat loudish again:cool10: over all 25% better:backinmyday:

ANYWAYS its clear they have decided to run it as a largely dryISH clutch and it whines we must get more oil on that clutch gear in there SOMEHOW I WILL solver this soon GOOD LUCK bro:080402gudl_prv:

Edited by RussLightwing

Just a note::, When I had the EFM conversion Garry drilled lots

of 1/8 or 3/8 holes all down each side of the basket to get

more oil to the clutch. so far so good. however it does nothing

for the (whine).

Garry, thinks that these basket do not get enough oil to the disks.

Jeff

I have tossed this out a few times now and never got a reply.

The first and second gen motors share a lot of parts.

First gens do not whine. (or they are to fast for the whine to catch up.:stirthepot:)

Will a first gen basket work in a second gen?

Has anyone tried it?

Yes a first gen basket will work as will a Vmax basket. Some first gens (86-93 maybe) did have a whine and as I recall (been 25 years) there was yamaha service bulletin to address whine in the first gens. If the gears were match mated at assembly there would be no or very little whine. Those bikes without whine are luck of the draw on the gear set match at assembly.

First three characters in a yamaha part number following the XXX-12345-00-00 convention indicate the model code which is the first model that part was used on. Digits 456 of the Yamaha VIN# is the model code.

Does not apply to Bearings and fastener part numbers which are mostly numerical and folow the XXXXX-XXXXX-XX convention, however for bearings, the 4 digit common bearing number (6303, 6304, etc) is often imbedded in the Yamaha Part number and some fasteners have the bolt diameter and length in the middle 5 of the part number i.e 93XXX-06M24-00 is a 6 mm bolt 24mm in length.

Look up some part numbers and you will see what I mean.