IGNORED

Hard to find a replacement for my 91

Guest HdHtr

Guest HdHtr

After 23 years and a touch over 235,000 miles I have decided that the old thing is not worth fixing any more. So I started looking for a replacement bike.

I have been to all the brands including Yamaha. Big disappointment in what is being offered for touring now a days. Really disappointed with Yamaha. Replacing a first gen with something like a first gen is not gonna happen for me in a new machine.

So started rethinking stuff. Not into cruiser style bikes like the RSV, Stratoliner and Star stuff or the Harley, Kawa or zuki bikes in that category. I don't fit a sport tourer well any more after a couple of hip replacements and a knee replacement. So I started looking at the Adventure type bikes and some standard (naked) bikes.

Found the VStrom 1000 Adventure was really a good fit and I could live with it, in the naked bike offerings, the Bonneville and the CB1100 were good.

Have I missed something that's out there? I never realized that replacing a first gen would be so difficult.

Yes, I know what you mean........times have changed for us old geezers. If it were me, I'd opt to renew my bike with newer motor, paint etc, or find a low mileage used. There is no substitute. Those naked bikes just don't have the wind protection for longer hauls. Maybe the Honda ST1300 is worth a look as it is faired and has a standard sitting position.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Have I missed something that's out there? I never realized that replacing a first gen would be so difficult.

Since you did not mention what you think of the Honda CTX 1300 thought I would bring it up. It is not a 2-up touring bike but should be reasonably capable for one person. The ST 1300 engine has been re-worked to supply more low end torque and the seating position on the CTX is more upright. The stock postage stamp windshield fairing bump can be replaced with a full size touring windshield which would offer more protection and might make it look more balanced. The CTX 1300 is a downsized version of the Goldwing F6B, both of which need the addition of a trunk to be much good for serious touring.

Yep,

I'll agree. There is no substitute for the First Gen Venture.

I've looked at all the 'tourers' out there and with the exception of the GL1500 or GL1800 there is nothing that offers the power, handling, pillion comfort, load capacity, weather protection, audio performance with passenger/rider intercom sophistication, 'two-up touring capability' etc., etc. all in one motorcycle. Sure, some have some things that are better than the Venture, but then those same bikes fall short in some other important area.

I am with Pete on this: find another low mileage First Gen and ride it 'til either it or you die.

When I picked up my '91 last fall, I realized that it was gonna be the last 'two-up' touring motorcycle I will probably be buying. After all, barring an accident (again), the bike is good for 100,000 plus miles yet. And at my current rate of annual mileage, that 100,000 miles ain't gonna happen in MY lifetime.

Guest HdHtr

I have looked at the ST ... literally everything. I've seen the listing for the 87 and everything else that's within a 150 miles of me here.

These things do last ... I was really hoping that my 91 would out live me!

If I could find a low mileage 91 or 92 I might just go for another one. I do have a lot of good parts!

That new Kawasaki touring bike has a really good feel to it... Cant remember the name of it but it has a different looking fairing on it,, that bike has a certain good feel about it that I like..

Besides all the stuff already mentioned about the 1st Gens I gotta say,, I would REALLY miss my adjustable bars and leg/foot movement room on any other model.. I like to pull my bars back and in so I can all most lay down and stretch out when I ride.. I have back issues, really really get sore riding in a car after even 3 or 4 hours,, on my 1st Gens set up properly I can ride sun up till sundown (move around, stretch when needed) and be just fine..

Got a buddie with a Strom,, he loves it,, a little to "upright" for me and certainly wouldnt work for wife and I in two-up mode...

By the way Hd,, I kept seeing a 1st Gen listed on Ebay with 10k miles on it,, I think it was in Ontario Canada about 40 minutes from Detroit.. They were stuck on 3600 as I recall.. It was on there all winter and was still on the last time I looked... Might be worth looking into,, making an offer....:confused24:

Did tyou check out Victory CCT?

Not a good choice to replace a 1st gen Venture.

After all, it doesn't have all the ..."power, handling, pillion comfort, load capacity, weather protection, audio performance with passenger/rider intercom sophistication, 'two-up touring capability'" that a 1st gen does.

:stickpoke: :Laugh: :Laugh:

I've been looking for a 1st Gen Venture and several of the owners are selling to buy a newer Goldwing. I looked at the Gold 87 in the previous craigslist link. The owner rides it daily and says every thing works but it does show its age in person much more than the photos. The owner lives in Durham and works at Sneads Ferry, NC.

There are several for sale now with 20k miles on them in NC and SC.

You could use your current bike for spare parts if you bought another 1st Gen.

Guest HdHtr
Not a good choice to replace a 1st gen Venture.

After all, it doesn't have all the ..."power, handling, pillion comfort, load capacity, weather protection, audio performance with passenger/rider intercom sophistication, 'two-up touring capability'" that a 1st gen does.

:stickpoke: :Laugh: :Laugh:

I did look at the CCT. Just not my style. But I am still looking.

Guest HdHtr
I've been looking for a 1st Gen Venture and several of the owners are selling to buy a newer Goldwing. I looked at the Gold 87 in the previous craigslist link. The owner rides it daily and says every thing works but it does show its age in person much more than the photos. The owner lives in Durham and works at Sneads Ferry, NC.

There are several for sale now with 20k miles on them in NC and SC.

You could use your current bike for spare parts if you bought another 1st Gen.

Yeah, been thinking about that. I am kind of used to a first gen.

But. I am getting a bit old and tired to be doing any major wrenching on these things anymore.

I mean mine is fixable, I am just not into pulling the fly wheel off this thing. Just not gonna do it!

[/i]

Yeah, been thinking about that. I am kind of used to a first gen.

But. I am getting a bit old and tired to be doing any major wrenching on these things anymore.

I mean mine is fixable, I am just not into pulling the fly wheel off this thing. Just not gonna do it!

The guy who owns that gold 87 says he doesn't work on his bike. He takes it in to his favorite mechanic when it needs anything. Says he wants to spend his time riding and not working on the bike.

Another possibility that no one has mentioned is the BMW K1200LT. They are less expensive than Goldwings to buy and they are great bikes from what I hear.

Of course there are lots of other BMW models to choose from depending on your preferences.

I was just about to mention the bmw k1200lt. I had a 1999, when I sold it it had over 90,000 miles on it, all I ever did in those miles was change oil, plugs filters and finally replaced clutch at 85k. Oh yeah, and a couple batteries. It was comfy, smooth as silk and powerful, great gas mileage too, always 50+. Handled on rails too. One of these days I will probably own another one along with my rsv. I would definitely look into one, good luck. :)

you could look at the honda valkyrie interstate. They are pretty good looking little bikes. I have never ridden a 1st gen, so I would not know how it compares.

Valkyrie Interstate are heavier than First or second Gen. But they ride like a GoldWing reason I sold mine is due to it being a dinosaur parts were very $$$

Valkyrie Interstate are heavier than First or second Gen. But they ride like a GoldWing reason I sold mine is due to it being a dinosaur parts were very $$$

Parts are getting there for 1st Gens but if I was looking for a #1 ride and could find a real low mile 1st Gen......Then "Ugly" only has 24k and there is that 83 with 19k showing....:whistling:

Guest HdHtr
There is a 1990 VR with a little under 38K miles on it in Vegas. for $2995.

Yeah, I saw that one. Thinking I might see if Fred can go look at it for me. But, I am still looking. Dunno what I am looking for, but I am looking!