Some guidance needed

dave_wells

Looking into two things:

The first would roadside assistance that will cover motorcycle and car

The second would be a tire plug kit and 12 volt compressor

Thanks for the input

Edited by dave_wells
detail for heading

This is the one I have. Called CyclePump It is small, works well, and had good write ups when I did my research years ago. Still have it, still works. Not cheap though.

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/images/Product/medium/30.jpg

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-30-cyclepump-adventure-combo-w-gauge.aspx

For plug kits, I bought a kit by BMW that uses mushroom plugs. It also works well. Never used it on my bike, but fixed two car tires with it. Can't remember how much it was. Someone in our SCRC got them and I bought one from him years ago.

Rather than an electric pump I carry a CO2 inflator & extra cartridges. It's a lot smaller than a compressor. MC tires take about 2 cartridges to inflate a flat.

Also carry a tire plug kit.

Gary

I know this sounds NUTS but I carry one of those $7.00 (on sale with coupon) Harbor Freight pumps and cheapy lil plug kits from Walmart.. I have used my "kit" on numerous occasions both with mine and other bikes and LOTS of cars!! Its a little yellow plastic cheapy throw away pump that has always worked!! I like carrying the "throw away" model cause then I can afford to give it away and replace it (which did happen) during one of those days when "Murphys Law" is trying to get the best of someone.. Also, I know lots of folks who ride lots of miles on repaired tires, I am not one of them, flats on a loaded out dresser with a passenger on the back are not much fun to ride down,, I am one who will plug it, fill it and head to a bike shop to get another new tire and mount it up (carry tire irons too)..

I too have carried the CO2 cartridges (years ago) and they do work good unless your dealing with reseating a bead or helping out a cager.. Better than nothing though!!

Funny this thread came up.. I used my little piece of junk Harbor pump the other night to help a guy at the gas station.. He needed air and the stations pump was froze solid (-5),, little yellow worked great!!!

Puc

I carry THIS. The things that look like keys are plastic corkscrews that the tab snaps off after it's threaded into the tire. The cylinders are CO2, but the adapter isn't as nice as the one in Dingy's picture.

The full kit is HERE.

The reason I have the refill rather than the full kit is I don't need to pay all that extra for a set of pliers I already have in my tool kit.

I haven't needed to use it yet but it should do the trick if needed.

I think it probably is useless for tube type tires.

I have a compressor and plug kit (both were recommended here - would have to look to see what brand). I've never used a plug kit and not sure I'd know what to do with it ... but I have it just in case.

If you are going the air compressor route, you shouldn't use the accessory outlet on the fairing. Add a cigarette lighter outlet connected to the battery (with a proper size fuse) or splice into the accessory plug under the drivers seat (on 2nd Gen). There is a pop-out plug on the left side of the bike below the drivers seat.

The lighter I put on the bike was only a few dollars and isn't waterproof but I've never had any issues with it. Where the plug is is in a relatively protected area.

I also carry the little yellow pump from Harbor Freight and a tire repair kit. I have twice fixed a flat and pumped the tire up enough to get to a station. I also use the pump to fill up my rear shock and with the gauge on it, I can put it exactly where I want. I have a digital air gage that I to confirm and it is always where the pump gage reads.

The coupon page from Rider magazine sometimes have these pumps for $5.99.

RandyA

I also use the pump to fill up my rear shock and with the gauge on it, I can put it exactly where I want. I have a digital air gage that I to confirm and it is always where the pump gage reads.

RandyA

Yep,,,, same here Randy!!! Of course I get a lot of riding buddies with those $70 Hand Pumps (cool pumps, even have "HD" (which stands for heavy duty I guess) stamped on em, who laugh at me but hey,, at the end of the day I usually get home safely AND have a few bucks in my pocket for some of that Fried Chicken,,, mmmmmm mm.. :big-grin-emoticon:

If you were up here, I'd say - "Join the CAA" (Canadian equivalent of your AAA. I've heard that AAA doesn't do bikes, but you could join the Goldwing Road Riders Association (You don't need to own a Goldwing.). You get roadside assistance for your bike with he membership and for an extra $25 per year, you can get expanded coverage for the bike and coverage for your car. There may be others in the U.S. but that's the only one I know of that covers both.

Andy

This is the one I have. Called CyclePump It is small, works well, and had good write ups when I did my research years ago. Still have it, still works. Not cheap though.

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/images/Product/medium/30.jpg

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-30-cyclepump-adventure-combo-w-gauge.aspx

For plug kits, I bought a kit by BMW that uses mushroom plugs. It also works well. Never used it on my bike, but fixed two car tires with it. Can't remember how much it was. Someone in our SCRC got them and I bought one from him years ago.

I think I paid about $20 for my slime compressor which came with tire plug kit and a pint of green slime. I've used the compressor and tire plugs many, many times but, have yet to use the green slime. I think I bought it auto zone. No need for going big bucks for a portable compressor.

There is a organization called B.A.M. which is free to join and gives free roadside assistance for bikes. I see them at the bike shows all the time.

I have a compressor and plug kit (both were recommended here - would have to look to see what brand). I've never used a plug kit and not sure I'd know what to do with it ... but I have it just in case.

If you are going the air compressor route, you shouldn't use the accessory outlet on the fairing. Add a cigarette lighter outlet connected to the battery (with a proper size fuse) or splice into the accessory plug under the drivers seat (on 2nd Gen). There is a pop-out plug on the left side of the bike below the drivers seat.

The lighter I put on the bike was only a few dollars and isn't waterproof but I've never had any issues with it. Where the plug is is in a relatively protected area.

About the plug kit.... It's kinda like having sex wearing a condom but, you leave the condom behind.... Did that give you a useful visual

The AAA+RV covers all vehicles including motorcycles and I have used it for the bike when we hit a deer about 50 miles from home. The first 100 miles are free so we were delivered with the bike right into our driveway because it was Sunday, and then the following day the bike was delivered to the dealer, all for free!

Rather than an electric pump I carry a CO2 inflator & extra cartridges. It's a lot smaller than a compressor. MC tires take about 2 cartridges to inflate a flat. Gary

Thanks Gary for this post including the picture. First time I have seem one of these inflators (I already have the cartridges).

I bought a Husky compressor from Home Depot for $30. It's reasonably light weight but draws 15 A so like XV1100SE I had to run a fused line from the battery (found out the hard way). I ran it to the rear trunk, following the CD player cable. It's bailed me out a couple of times. Never leave home without it.

I couldn't find exactly the same kit as I bought, but it is similar to this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-AND-VAN-TYRE-PUNCTURE-REPAIR-KIT-WITH-15-STRIPS-/140586300652?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item20bb98b4ec except mine came with a tube of vulcanising gloop. It might not be needed, but it doesn't seem to hurt and maybe lubricates the needle as I push it in. It has been pretty good and I treat it as a permanent repair. there's no point sharing the pump I bought as I finally got a high spec pump when it was available at Lidl or Aldi and I don't think you have them in the states.

check with your local AAA here in Florida you can add motorcycle coverage for an extra $35 annual fee. I have never use it but they claim to tow you for 100 miles.

I was trying to decide weather an Air comp or a CO2 ............I think because of space and simplicity go for the CO2 kit

I also bought the SLIME compressor with plug kit. Threw the slime in the car trunk and got some RIDEON (doesn't affect the alloy wheels) use the compressor a lot after picking up a nail and plugging *slow leak until I got new tire. Also use it for the front and rear suspension as it can be set to the pound. It was under $20.00 at Wal-Mart. Last joint ride I was the hero. When another bike picked up a screw in the tire. I also carry a small pair of dikes for pulling screws and nails.

check with your local AAA here in Florida you can add motorcycle coverage for an extra $35 annual fee. I have never use it but they claim to tow you for 100 miles.

That's what it is here in Canada with CAA, which I understand is the same as AAA.

For the extra annual fee cost, you get several extra benefits, including motorcycle coverage.