IGNORED

Legalized pot. For it or against it?

Ventureless

it is also used in medical situations.

my mother was offered it when diagnosed with cancer. she turned it down and suffered through the treatments. she was violently ill for a week after each treatment. she was on the floor heaving, could not eat for that week, lost weight every month for a year. god bless her that she has been cancer free for 12 years now.

i have two other freinds who used weed while going through their cancer treatment and they were not in pain. they were able to eat normally and keep food down while going through chemotherapy with no weight loss.

i have had people in the house that when given a couple of drinks are a pain in the ass. yet if they go outside and have a puff they come back in nice, calm and relaxed.

i have no problem with it being legalized, treat it the same as liquor.

My sister has been diagnosed with cancer 3 different times, Surgery, Chemo and radiation. Without the use of pot to allow her to eat she would not be alive today.

My vote:2cents: Medical pot, absolutely no question

Recreational Use, I'm leaning toward yes with restrictions and regulations.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the state of Louisiana if you are arrested for pot (from a seed on up) and are in possession of a firearm and are convicted of such, it is a mandatory 5 years in the slammer! The judge has no leeway, it is mandatory! Ten years for second offence!

So your sitting in your house smoking a joint minding your own business. Cops come to your door for what ever and smell pot. They can enter your house search for drugs and if you have hunting guns or say a pistol for protection the above law applies.

I'm a Vietnam vet and I remember the "juicers" alcohol drinkers and the "stoners". The juicers would go to the club and get all sh*t faced and want to fight while the stoners would sit back, relax and laugh at them.

Legalize it!

Mixed feelings here! As Dragonslayer put it I'm a product of the 60's, plus a Vietnam veteran so it should be a given there. Finally stopped using it in the 80's, and have no desire to ever go back to it. There really IS a reason they call it dope! And yes it can and will lead to other drugs.

Now, just like my Christianity those are MY beliefs for MYSELF. To each their own. We all have free will and have the right to choose what we do. Myself it wrecked my life and was a factor in two divorces. I shudder to think just what I could have been and accomplished if my brain wasn't clouded up with drugs. It made me lazy and stupid!

OK now to the point in hand, legalization. I will draw an analogy to prohibition. When the government tried prohibition it lead to one of the highest times of crime this nation had ever seen, and a huge loss of revenue as well. That being said the idea of legalization does make sense in terms of tax revenue and if it is not a crime then a lot of the criminal activity including the violence will decrease drastically. Drug addiction will then be a social issue just like alcoholism and gambling addiction. Of course burglary and robbery will continue to be an issue as people addicted will need to support their habit, and unemployment will still be a problem. No, I'm not saying that those that occasionally use will become addicts any more than I would say anyone who drinks is an alcoholic, I'm just saying that addiction will not go away just because it becomes legal.

Bottom line, as it becomes legal more power to it, great source of tax revenue, and it will make some people happy and who knows maybe it will be helpful to some, just like giving narcotics works as a pain killer. I shudder at the implications that it is one step closer in the decline of advancement of science and technology as people in general become stupider by the minute...

Been there, done that, bought the tee shirt, what's next!

I mostly agree with these points considered.

No doubt it has a detrimental effect on developing minds. I often wondered where my career could have gone if I didn't spend so much time during those years eating cookie dough and watching cartoons.

Addictive gateway drug: I personally believe that pot may be pyschologically addictive and not so much physically addictive like herion, cocaine, meth and other narcotics. People who have addictive personallities will find something to become addicted to such as gambling, food, chocolate, sex and watching to much TV (and yes motorcycle riding). Pick your poison.

In my opinion it will eventually be legalized but the 'benefits' are dubious.

Governments will have to enact regulations for the growth, production, distribution, sale and taxation. Laws to punish violators will also be needed.

Governments will have to fund studies to determine levels of intoxication which impair someone ability to operate a motor vehicle and the like. Studies would be done to determine damage done to the body based on level of usage.

Governments will have to fund methods of detecting levels of intoxication such as breathalyzer and then train police forces on the use of these methods.

Governments will develop laws concerning the smoking of marijuana likely similar to those for tobacco. Some jurisdictions here in Canada have made tobacco smoking very prohibitive.

Government taxation of any commodity leads to higher prices so criminal organizations would not leave because there's just too much money to be made outside the government system.

In the end the taxpayers will foot the bill just as we are now and always do.

I have no problem with it being legal. If it's legal then the drug dealers won't make the profit off it. Saves on arrests as well. Way too many other things to take care of. I never really believed it's a gateway drug. Anything can be considered that if you are the type of person that becomes addicted to stuff. Majority of folks don't go on to other drugs those that do would have regardless of what they started with. Just my opinion.

Margaret

Well said.

The other aspect of this trend I like is the money making part. No I will not grow or sell or anything like that. I do a little stock trading here and there so about 6 or 8 months ago, I invested in a company that sells grow equipment and has some other exciting ventures into the legal pot world. I bought about 100K shares at $.06. Well a few weeks ago I sold half of the shares for $.44 each. You do the math. I almost quadrupled my money and still have about 50K shares left for the long run. Will it make me rich. Probably not, but maybe I will have enough to pay cash for a new bike or build a garage or something.

So what are everybody's thoughts on this trend?

OK...... Since no one else has asked, how about letting the rest of us in on what stock this is? I like to gamble once in awhile.

Make it legal, tax and regulate it the same as alcohol. In fact, I think they should make all drugs legal. Abusers will abuse no matter what the legal status is. Use some of the tax revenue to fund free drug abuse treatment programs. By doing so it would eliminate most of the criminal activity involved in the drug trade, ie. turf wars, smuggling, murder, drive-by shootings.

I can't say that I've ever heard about anyone smoking them selves to death.

I don't smoke it, but, I have no problem with those that do.

As with any "drug" it should be solely between you and your doctor. All drugs can have positive and negative affects. It should be between you and your doctor to determine where the benefits outweigh the negatives for you. That being said there will always be those that go outside the law to get a hold of medicines that their doctor will not prescribe for them. A price that has always been paid for access to the beneficial drugs by all. The government does not need to be involved in who should or should not be able to get a drug. At best it should only be able to control who can best make that decision and that brings me back to the thought that it should be between you and your doctor.

Ride Happy Ride Safe

I agree. I did not start this thread to start fights. As I said, I am just intrigued that such a thing as this is happening in my lifetime. Similar to the whole alcohol prohibition times which was a big thing in our history in this country just as this is now.

One thing I learned watching Ken Burns "Prohibition" documentary on PBS is that alcohol was way cheaper when it was illegal. We see that happening with pot now, not that I am a pot buyer but in Nebraska we hear every detail about our neighbor Colorado. If they really want to defeat illegal trafficking then they need to set competitive pricing for it.

BTW, I haven't read the whole thread yet, but what was that stock tip?

there is one issue that has not been addressed in the legalization of pot what will happen to all the drug users and so called dealers that are in prison for said drug offence they will think it unfair for being there when it is now leagal and will still be branded for life with the felony conviction over shadowing them the rest of thier life now that is a touchy subject me i dont care for the stuff since im allergic to it but i say to each his/her own just dont bring it around me as i do like to breath thats the problem the stuff closes up my air way and i swell up like a ballon yes i have a bad reaction to it found that out when i was 13 spent 2 weeks in the hospital was not fun

One thing I learned watching Ken Burns "Prohibition" documentary on PBS is that alcohol was way cheaper when it was illegal. We see that happening with pot now, not that I am a pot buyer but in Nebraska we hear every detail about our neighbor Colorado. If they really want to defeat illegal trafficking then they need to set competitive pricing for it.

BTW, I haven't read the whole thread yet, but what was that stock tip?

With the government tax, depending on the blend it can go for as much as $400.00 per gram.. What ever happened to the "nickel" baggy from the 60's??????

OK...... Since no one else has asked, how about letting the rest of us in on what stock this is? I like to gamble once in awhile.

The company is Growlife. The stock ticker is PHOT. The company is the one that has sold Phototrons for 25 years. They have put together a pretty good management team and have some good ideas for the industry. A lot of people say they are a pump and dump company, but at this point in the growing industry, it is hard to tell who will do well and who won't. And please don't take what I say and not do any research on your own. I am not a professional investor. Just like to play sometimes and I win some and lose some. On this one, I won so far. Like I said, I bought 100K shares for .06. It got up to .about .47 and I sold half at .44. So I paid about $6K and by selling half got back $22K. The stock rose rapidly and dropped just as quick. It has been around .20 for a couple weeks now. So I have made plenty of money so far and if it drops out and I get nothing from the last 50K shares, I am still ahead and happy. And if I hold and it goes up over the next couple years, I will be even happier. :fingers-crossed-emo

The company is Growlife. The stock ticker is PHOT. The company is the one that has sold Phototrons for 25 years. They have put together a pretty good management team and have some good ideas for the industry. A lot of people say they are a pump and dump company, but at this point in the growing industry, it is hard to tell who will do well and who won't. And please don't take what I say and not do any research on your own. I am not a professional investor. Just like to play sometimes and I win some and lose some. On this one, I won so far. Like I said, I bought 100K shares for .06. It got up to .about .47 and I sold half at .44. So I paid about $6K and by selling half got back $22K. The stock rose rapidly and dropped just as quick. It has been around .20 for a couple weeks now. So I have made plenty of money so far and if it drops out and I get nothing from the last 50K shares, I am still ahead and happy. And if I hold and it goes up over the next couple years, I will be even happier. :fingers-crossed-emo

I really would like to buy a grower/retailer from Colorado right now. I think that by the time legalization spreads to other states the operators in Colorado will have very well established business acumen dealing with a tightly regulated climate. As Buffet says they will have a wide moat, if they are allowed to spread operations into other states. All of the stores are selling all of the pot they can grow right now, there is no inventory backlog.

If it was legal here, I don't know that I'd ever use it, but I think that if you can grow it in your back yard, harvest it and smoke it, the gubment should have no say in what you with it.

I wouldn't be comfortable with all drugs being legal, but I think it's an over reach of government to have made it illegal thus far.

No skin off my nose either way, but I'm all for anything that creates greater individual liberties.

:cool10:

State officials project $67 million a year from taxes on marijuana sales. These consist of the existing 2.9 percent state sales tax (plus local taxes), an additional 10 percent state tax on retail marijuana sales, and a 15 percent excise tax on the "average market rate" of wholesale marijuana. In Denver, that means a $30 eighth of pot (1/8 oz.) will have about $8.59 in taxes tacked onto it, or about a 29 percent overall tax rate.

http://taxfoundation.org/blog/colorado-begins-legal-marijuana-sales-collecting-marijuana-tax

At the rate they are taxing it makes me wonder who the real "dealers" are....

I see nothing wrong with it just so the person using it stays put for 5 or 6 hours before hitting the road....

Legalize it, no question. I first smoked pot at the age of 14. In the 41 years since I have gone as long as 4 years without smoking. It should be treated just like alcohol. Even though I feel it is less dangerous. Gateway to other drugs? Poppycock. It just ain't so. It's the individual person who may go to other drugs. Remember alcohol is a drug. Makes no more sense than thinking a bourbon habit will lead to smoking crack.

Did I ever try other drugs? Yes, the list is embarrassing. Did they "stick"? No. I made choices.

But, if I could drive without having to pass random drug screens, my drinking would decrease a bit and my weed intake would increase. A bit.

Legalize it, no question. I first smoked pot at the age of 14. In the 41 years since I have gone as long as 4 years without smoking. It should be treated just like alcohol. Even though I feel it is less dangerous. Gateway to other drugs? Poppycock. It just ain't so. It's the individual person who may go to other drugs. Remember alcohol is a drug. Makes no more sense than thinking a bourbon habit will lead to smoking crack.

Did I ever try other drugs? Yes, the list is embarrassing. Did they "stick"? No. I made choices.

But, if I could drive without having to pass random drug screens, my drinking would decrease a bit and my weed intake would increase. A bit.

I disagree with you completely. Some people have an addictive personality and as such can easily move to harsher drugs. You are fortunate to not have that trait. Some food for thought is found in the scriptures for example: I Corth. 6: 19-20, Ephesians 5:18, Galatians 5: 19-21, I Peter 4:7, I Thess. 5:8. I am a Pastoral Counselor and I have seen marijuana lead people to do other drugs. And who's to say kids will not get their hands on marijuana through other people who obtain it possibly legally that don't care that it get's in kids hands. There will always be ways for people to get around the system. The government seems to me screws up more than they help when it comes to managing things. Just my opinion.

many of my friends got hooked on much harsher drugs than marijuana, but they all started with the marijuana scene. :

The argument has been made that every alcoholic started on mothers milk!

I used to be very much pro marijuana. I used to deal as much as 5 pounds a week. Not to make money off the weak....but so I could party with my friends for free.

That was then...this is now.

On the pro side.....the drug problems and related crime are not really pot related. You just don't hear about murders and robberies because someone NEEDED to smoke up. It's the crack heads and heroin addicts. Pot heads are too mellow to cause major problems....other than a munchies shortage.

On the down side....I now realize that my memory sucks.

(Long term loss of short term memory)

What was I saying??? Oh Yeah..... I wasted about 10 years of my life sitting around just shooting the breeze about nothing and getting stoned.

I'm probably a lot lazier now than I would have been without it.

On a religious note....the Bible talks about avoiding the defilements of the flesh.

Smoking is one of them...regardless of what you smoke.

IMHO

Something that makes me shake my head.

Medical Oxycontin is legal and Medical Marijuana is not. (in majority of states)

Oxycontin is just Oxycodone that is time-released. It's a godsend for cancer patients, people dying of cancer. Without the time release drug my mother would get behind on her pain meds and suffer horribly before the nurses could get her caught back up. We had someone from the family sit with her constantly and monitor her pain meds so that her nursing staff didn't let her schedule slip.

Don't believe all the sensational news programs vilifying Oxycontin, it's very useful and very much needed.

I disagree with you completely. Some people have an addictive personality and as such can easily move to harsher drugs. You are fortunate to not have that trait. Some food for thought is found in the scriptures for example: I Corth. 6: 19-20, Ephesians 5:18, Galatians 5: 19-21, I Peter 4:7, I Thess. 5:8. I am a Pastoral Counselor and I have seen marijuana lead people to do other drugs. And who's to say kids will not get their hands on marijuana through other people who obtain it possibly legally that don't care that it get's in kids hands. There will always be ways for people to get around the system. The government seems to me screws up more than they help when it comes to managing things. Just my opinion.

I have to agree with JohnT and others that have said it. I don't believe pot is physically addictive, but mentally. And I am not saying it can't lead to harsher drugs, but even you yourself said some people have addictive personalities. So are you saying that if somebody has that type of personality, it should be banned from all the other responsible people? If that is the case, we should outlaw motorcycles. They can be very addicting in many different ways. There is the money people spend on buying every bike or accessory they see and want. There is the speed addiction that can harm themselves and others. But there are some responsible riders who know there spending limits or just enjoy riding and not putting themselves or others at risk. This is just one example out of probably thousands of non drug related examples I could come up with. So why punish the responsible because of individuals that can't control themselves? That is just my opinion. Not trying to start fights. Just trying to work through everything here and understand all the opinions.