IGNORED

Windows 8 on way out

jonesy

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My two cents worth (and we all know what that's worth :) )

Vista was supposedly the worst OS in the world.

I installed it, had absolutely no problems with it.

Now Windows 8 / 8.1 is creating some major dislikes.

I installed it, it's much faster and I really don't find a problem with any of it.

I just don't find the problems that other folks seem to be having. I tried Linux on a spare machine once. Didn't like it much but it seemed to be working well. Just a personal thing I suppose.

When Windows 9 (or whatever) is released, I'll try that one also. Once a geek/nerd, always a geek/nerd

EDIT: I forgot this one, Windows ME...installed an ran it totally without incident.

:whistling::big-grin-emoticon::whistling:

Edited by alwrmcusn
addition to text

Have you ever noticed how Microsoft

Every other OS Microsoft is good with a total mess in between

Win 95 nice - Win 98 an improvement - 98 SE - nice cleaned up some issues

Do we need to mention - Win ME ( Mistake Edition ) - Win XP( Nailed it ) Still using it here for the districts main OS - Vista ( OUCH ) - Win 7 ( use it at home and in the office ) -

Win 8 -What the hell were the thinking.

Win 9 should be awesome I cant wait

I would use Linux but I like my games

I have a mac book pro I use at work - I love it great display

To much $$$$$ for me to shell out

I would use Linux but I like my games

You can install virtual machine software on Linux distro's and run WinXP with your games.

I use Linux Mint 15 at home with a Win7 VM and I like it.

FWIW, as an "old timer" in the IT biz (since 1987), I've taught and worked with every Windows version since Windows began with exception of Win8.

Four versions were standouts: Win-4-Workstations 3.1, Win NT, WinXP, Win7

As n IT pro, I refuse to move from WinXP to Win8 in my workplace. Win7 or Linux will be the only considerations.

I have great fear that a very expensive day is coming in the not to distant future.

I have a 12 year old laptop running XP Pro SP2. On that laptop is over $20K worth of software that will not run on any newer OS, even going to XP Pro SP3 does not work. Tried Linux with XP emulation, tried win 7 with XP emulation, but they did not run this software either.

It will require buying all new software for what is available in newer versions. And the software that I still need that is from companies no longer in business. I'll be SOL.:crying:

Tried Linux with XP emulation,

XP Emulation? Are you referring to "wine"? If so, do not rely on that... install VM Ware or some other compatible Virtual Machine and install WinXP SP2 in it.

I'm running Linux Mint 15 and Oracle VM Virtual box.

Edited by SilvrT

Someone please post a link to this story about HP dropping Windows 8.

Might also want to send an email to HP telling them about their decision to drop it, since it seems they may not know about it. Check their website, still offering Windows 8. The only difference is, they are displaying Windows 7 prominently for those who didn't know they could still get it.

If they have truly announced that they are abandoning Windows 8 I'd like to see that article.

Someone please post a link to this story about HP dropping Windows 8.

Might also want to send an email to HP telling them about their decision to drop it, since it seems they may not know about it. Check their website, still offering Windows 8. The only difference is, they are displaying Windows 7 prominently for those who didn't know they could still get it.

If they have truly announced that they are abandoning Windows 8 I'd like to see that article.

Perhaps "HP dropping Windows8" is hyperbole, but they DO seem to be pushing Win7 over Win8:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2089403/ouch-hp-brings-windows-7-back-by-popular-demand.html

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/20/parsing-hps-decision-to-push-windows-7-more-than-a-year-into-the-windows-8-era/

Dell is also pushing Win7 for their "business class" workstations and laptops. Systems come with Win7 Pro and a Win8 upgrade licence.

The laptop I'm using right now came with Windows 7 Home. I paid over 1000 bucks for it. It has Blu Ray and a wide screen. As far as I'm concerned, the day I installed Windows 8, I ruined it. Then I upgraded to 8.1, and it still sucks. I think Windows 7 is the best. I guess I will have to wait and see about Windows 9. I will probably get it as soon as it comes out. One thing that really pissed me off about going from 8 to 8.1, is that Norton doesn't work with 8.1, and i didn't even know it. Now I'm using Defender.

The laptop I'm using right now came with Windows 7 Home. I paid over 1000 bucks for it. It has Blu Ray and a wide screen. As far as I'm concerned, the day I installed Windows 8, I ruined it. Then I upgraded to 8.1, and it still sucks. I think Windows 7 is the best. I guess I will have to wait and see about Windows 9. I will probably get it as soon as it comes out. One thing that really pissed me off about going from 8 to 8.1, is that Norton doesn't work with 8.1, and i didn't even know it. Now I'm using Defender.

Consider Webroot as your AV software. I use it for my 20 work PC's and at home.

For home, got it off Ebay, 5 PC's for around $20.

I can remember when XP was the dog OS and consultants and sales people at Compaq were advising to stick with Windows 2000. Lots of us simply have trouble with change... Win 8 likely won't go away for geeks though, you'll need it to admin 2012 servers (W7 wont do that.) And here's another stick in the eye, instructors are telling me that even the desktop computer is on it's way out. It'll be a tablet world baby! YMMV on that one though.

-JK

Guest tx2sturgis
XP Emulation? Are you referring to "wine"? If so, do not rely on that... install VM Ware or some other compatible Virtual Machine and install WinXP SP2 in it.

I'm running Linux Mint 15 and Oracle VM Virtual box.

WhooHooo!

There IS life after windows, people....been saying this for years...SilvrT does this for a living and he made the switch.....you can too!

:happy34:

WhooHooo!

There IS life after windows, people....been saying this for years...SilvrT does this for a living and he made the switch.....you can too!

:happy34:

LOL Brian, I've been sitting on the fence with Linux since around 1999. Just had too many things I used Windows for here at home but I finally forced myself to find alternative ways to do what I do ... and I did! As it turns out, nowadays I don't need to support clients using my home system.

Now I have to do the same for the office computers and applications they use but I'm doubtful that will materialize as our phone system, which is being replaced this summer, doesn't show Linux as being a compatible OS and I have my doubts it will run in a VM ... but I've yet to research that. And that is only the beginning.

Running Windoze 8.1 It has never crashed, I run a high end graphics card with dual DVI LCD displays, 2TB drive, 500GB SSD boot drive, 32GB memory, 2 DVD/blueray burners. Again, never failed. But finding things you install and the Apps/Start menu sucks big time. Windoze 8 is perhaps the most user hostal/unfriendly interface I've used.

I dual boot either Linux (default) or Windoze 8 as there are a few programs that I use that need Windoze. Like Garmin Base Camp (that POS is another story). I believe Linux takes far better advantage of HW capabilities and runs extremely fast. Graphics rendering takes 1/3 the time in Linux. I believe Windoze has way too much overhead trying to be the end all do everything. My wife's laptop has Windoze 7 that I'll never change, my Netbook has XP which I'll update to Linux if/when XP no longer supports what I need for my motorcycle traveling.

One of us asked for a link on "WHO SAID?".

Here's one article and it links to HP home sales,, featuring "Windows 7 is back".

They still feature W8 boxes but sounds like they are expanding back to 7.

I get Dell promos weekly that make 7 available (to order from Dell, not on the shelf).

Dell usually offers W7 Home Premium on retail site, but can get PRO and Ultimate if you dig.

Would not be surprised to see Best Buy start same soon. Maybe they will kick in a cassette player!

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/20/5326844/hp-brings-back-windows-7-by-popular-demand

HP: http://www.hp.com/country/us/en/hho/welcome.html

HP Desktops: http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Desktops/Desktops

Guest tx2sturgis
LOL Brian, I've been sitting on the fence with Linux since around 1999. Just had too many things I used Windows for here at home but I finally forced myself to find alternative ways to do what I do ... and I did! As it turns out, nowadays I don't need to support clients using my home system.

Now I have to do the same for the office computers and applications they use but I'm doubtful that will materialize as our phone system, which is being replaced this summer, doesn't show Linux as being a compatible OS and I have my doubts it will run in a VM ... but I've yet to research that. And that is only the beginning.

Well either way...welcome to the dark side!....

Linux was not ready for primetime in 1999....today its a mature, capable, reliable OS.

I have never said that Linux or even Apple is a perfect replacement in the business world...I'm talking about home use. One or two guys or gals, one or two computers.

Too many IT people would be jobless if the business world adopted reliable computers!

:cool:

[using Tapatalk and on the road again]

Edited by tx2sturgis

Linux was not ready for primetime in 1999....today its a mature, capable, reliable OS.

Not exactly true. for example, I was playing with Debian based Corel Linux in 1999. It was a full-featured OS and being that it was from Corel, even included WordPerfect. I could network it to Microsoft OS based computers, read/write to their file system, surf the web, print, send faxes, you name it.

It was ready, but folks just weren't.

From Wikipedia...

Corel Linux, also called Corel LinuxOS, was a Debian-based operating system made by Corel that began beta testing on September 21, 1999[1] and was released to the public on November 15, 1999. It mainly competed against Windows 98 and Windows 2000 by Microsoft, plus Mac OS 9 by Apple.