IGNORED

A Indian paid me a visit

Condor

Your right Condor That is one sweet ride!

Did you remember to get the money fore the helmet and control the drooling over his MC. LOL :322:

I know I may forgotten to collect the money. Thanks for the pics

Bubber

aka Steve

Nice looking bike. One of my friends bought one new. He has had nothing but trobule with it. He has been towed home numerous times. Once by me. Thankfully we were only about a mile from his house. First time I ever towed a bike with my Venture. I'm not kidding, if he could have he would have had the best "lemon law" bike case going. Only thing is they went belly-up no one to take it back too. So don't drool too hard ya might have to repaint it.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::D

OMG-----------That's gorgeous!

Takes ya back to real motorcycles.

I'm gonna have to check them out.

I have said that my 05 RSTD looks like a 49 Indian-------Absolutely not true----need that front fender, and lots of leather.

Steve

Indian is now under new ownership and giving it another try. Here is their site.

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/

The pictures that Condor posted are one with the S&S motor. They actually designed and started producing their own motor before they went belly up again. Looks like the new 2009 model will be using their own motor again. I like that.

A buddy of mine is a Harley mechanic, die hard Harley man. When he isn't working For Harley, he's working on the older bikes in his shop. He has told me he actually thinks that the S&S motors are a better engine. The oil pump is better. He wants to do some mods on another buds Indian, a scout. That Indian Scout has been on a lota rides with me, and nary a problem. They are all good looking scoots, and seem to be very reliable. I beleive they came out with their own motor just before the Co. failed, but I have not heard anything about that motor.

They look great but I wouldnt have one at least no the Chief from about 4 years ago. Bike runs great when it runs but A buddy of mine has one and even though its garaged its rusting all over. Bad chrome and at welded joints. Lots of wiring trouble too. For him to complain it takes alot because he had a Borguet before this.

Nice looking bike. One of my friends bought one new. He has had nothing but trobule with it. He has been towed home numerous times. Once by me. Thankfully we were only about a mile from his house. First time I ever towed a bike with my Venture. I'm not kidding, if he could have he would have had the best "lemon law" bike case going. Only thing is they went belly-up no one to take it back too. So don't drool too hard ya might have to repaint it.

I donno?? After looking at this one I could see a lot of really nice equipment and design. If your friend had problems with the motor maybe he should have contacted S&S. This one ran great and had a hell of a bark to it's ride-away. Maybe the quality parts were there, but the folks that built the bike didn't know what they were doing.....? It looked pretty basic for anything to go drastically wrong. I hope the new group has a bit more business sense than a 'build it and they will buy it' philosphy.

Condor, tell me about these helmets you have listed.

I had them listed here in Classified, but caught a bunch of flack from a member about the price, so I said the heck with it, life is too short, and removed the listing. I've been running them locally on Craig's List for $125 bucks and sold a few. They retail for about $235 and you can find them on sale for $199. The helmets are RJ-Air Platinums 3/4's. In White I have 1/sm, 2/med, and 2/lg. In Red I have 1/med, and 1/lg., and in DkGray I have 1/med. Attached are a couple of pics. PM me if you're interested...... :)

This bike has nothing to do with the old Indian Motorcycles of the past other than the name. Years ago when it became cool to resurrect old marks there was a big fight for the Indian mark in the courts, if I remember correctly between an American Native tribe, a Canadian business (apparel manufacturer) man and others who claim to have the rights to the name. The decision was made by the courts: Native Americans were awarded some money, Kawasaki was fined for the bike they made the Drifter (look at the picture below, which I think is more like the old Indians with its blackout chrome and satin engine side covers than any modern bike). Whomever was awarded the Mark was required to build a certain amount of production bikes per year in a hurry or they would lose it. That is when CMC (California Motorcycle Company) a Harley clone bike manufacturer united with individual with the rights they slapped the name of the tank & were done. Afterwards they designed a complete new motor to make it look more like an Indian, instead of using the average looking S & S. But last I heard poor quality control led to their demise.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/vulcandr.jpg

I donno?? After looking at this one I could see a lot of really nice equipment and design. If your friend had problems with the motor maybe he should have contacted S&S. This one ran great and had a hell of a bark to it's ride-away. Maybe the quality parts were there, but the folks that built the bike didn't know what they were doing.....? It looked pretty basic for anything to go drastically wrong. I hope the new group has a bit more business sense than a 'build it and they will buy it' philosphy.

Ok, I'll tell you just what I can remember about all the things wrong.

Front fork seals leaking very quickly after new. Fixed them, but reason for leaking. Severe rust on the inside of fork protectors dropping down onto seals. Remedy remove rust and paint inside of fork protectors.

Ignition failure twice

New ignition installed

Blown head gasket twice

Engine shaking so bad literally pulled coil wire out from coil.

Starter gear fell off.

Motor shakes so bad and had so many problems he had a friend who has rebuild many Harleys rebuild his. Upon tearing the motor apart and putting it back together he found that the push rods were incorrectly installed and a few more things not kosher.

Motor runs better but he was stopping at my place and just before turning into my driveway it quit on him again. It sat at my place for 3 days before he came to trailer it home he was so peeved. I talked to him about a month ago and asked if he had found out what was wrong with it yet. He said that he hadn't even looked at it. He's about at the end of his patience with it. It's to bad too because like you I think that it is a good looking bike. Plus he is a great friend the kind of a guy that would give you the shirt off of his back.:D

Ok, I'll tell you just what I can remember about all the things wrong.

Front fork seals leaking very quickly after new. Fixed them, but reason for leaking. Severe rust on the inside of fork protectors dropping down onto seals. Remedy remove rust and paint inside of fork protectors.

Ignition failure twice

New ignition installed

Blown head gasket twice

Engine shaking so bad literally pulled coil wire out from coil.

Starter gear fell off.

Motor shakes so bad and had so many problems he had a friend who has rebuild many Harleys rebuild his. Upon tearing the motor apart and putting it back together he found that the push rods were incorrectly installed and a few more things not kosher.:D

OK, and was this one with an S&S motor, or, as Max pointed out in the previous post, one of the last motors built, that seemed to cause the demise of CMC???? Electrical happens. Do a search on this board for 'ignition' and see what happens,,,, And like I stated before, if it was an S&S motor, give 'm a call. Maybe the bike I saw was one of the originals built in the first year?? It looked good, sounded good, and ran great. Sounds like your buddy has one of the last ones.....

Condor, tell me about these helmets you have listed.

I have a LG Silver HJC Symax modular helmet with J&M elite headset installed I am willing to sell.

It is 2 yrs old, it does have black reflective eagle stickers and white on it to add to visibility. The clear visor is recently replaced.

New the helmet new goes for $259.00, headset and lower cord new are $229.00

PM or email me if you are interested and we can talk price

saulst@sbcglobal.net

Had a fellow stop by to pick up one of the Shoei's I have listed on CL, and he rode up on the back of an Indian..... Made my heart go pitter-patter when I saw it.....:thumbsup2:

That should have been their Millennium but it's the Silver Cloud. Always did love the look of that one.

That should have been their Millennium but it's the Silver Cloud. Always did love the look of that one.

Wonder how many of the Silvers they made??? After poking around on the net, I think this one is a 2000, and if I ever got the antzy's to buy one I'd make sure it's with the S&S motor like the one pictured. I think the company might have sealed it's own fate by thinking they could produce a better engine themselves......

This bike has nothing to do with the old Indian Motorcycles of the past other than the name. Years ago when it became cool to resurrect old marks there was a big fight for the Indian mark in the courts, if I remember correctly between an American Native tribe, a Canadian business (apparel manufacturer) man and others who claim to have the rights to the name. The decision was made by the courts: Native Americans were awarded some money, Kawasaki was fined for the bike they made the Drifter (look at the picture below, which I think is more like the old Indians with its blackout chrome and satin engine side covers than any modern bike). ...................................................................

I don't remember anyone giving me any money! :scratchchin: And I am a Native American. I was born in Denver Colorado. Granted I'm not an American Indian but I am a Native American, born and bred.

I also fail to see how any American Indian Tribe would have any right to money from the Indian Motorcycle Co! :confused24: No more so than a Martian deserves a kickback from the Mars Candy Company! :soapbox:

OK, I'm gonna stop here before I get myself in trouble!

Rant over!!! :rant:

I don't remember anyone giving me any money! :scratchchin: And I am a Native American. I was born in Denver Colorado. Granted I'm not an American Indian but I am a Native American, born and bred.

I also fail to see how any American Indian Tribe would have any right to money from the Indian Motorcycle Co! :confused24: No more so than a Martian deserves a kickback from the Mars Candy Company! :soapbox:

I fully agree with your thoughts on this one. This same attitude should also be applied here, north of the 49th.

Hey, :confused24:I just posted what I remember reading about it. I did not make any judgments. Although I think I would have done a better job. As far as what Native American Indians received any money probably the one who made the most noise. Besides if Indian is not politically correct why should any Native Americans feel they have any rights to it that name.

As far as the quality it did not matter which engine S & S or the other. CMC was a s***t bike to Begin with. Over priced over rated and it fell apart even if the motor did not.

As far as the quality it did not matter which engine S & S or the other. CMC was a s***t bike to Begin with. Over priced over rated and it fell apart even if the motor did not.

Very pretty piece of "s***t...."

I wasn't jumpin' on you, Joe! I just get tired of PC Names and hyphenated-names!

I had a friend years ago that was pure Navajo, I asked him once if he preferred Native American, Indian or American Indian?! He said "We don't care what you call us, we know who we are. We are Deenah (sp)." Which, in Navajo, simply means The People.

i guess i'll have to take some pic's of a real Indian that is parked in my front yard rite now :stirthepot: witch one ? the 1936 ? 1946 ? or one of the 1947s maybe the 1948 ? there is 5 old running Indians here rite now , i rode with them Mon. , they back fire a lot and i am so glad i don't have a kicker:cool10: , those things are hard to start and use a lot of oil :rotfl: