IGNORED

R U Offended ?

SilvrT

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saying Merry Christmas is now considered racist and offensive.

Well, if you're offended, here's two words for you...

Merry Christmas

OH MY!!!

WELL I NEVER.....

BUT YOU ACTUALLY SAID.......

MY POOR EYES ARE GOING TO FALL OUT!!!!!

I can't think of anything that would even express how your putting that in big bold letters makes me feel......:scared:

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you to.......:essen_018:

Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas!! Merry Christmas!!!

And if anybody was missed....

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Apparently if someone wishes you a "Merry Christmas"/"Happy Holidays"/"Happy xxxxxxxx" you are supposed to say "same to you".

When you think about it though, not all religions celebrate Dec 25th as a religious holiday. Why should someone that doesn't have the same faith be forced to take that day off work and work on a day that is a religious day to them?

I think diversity should be celebrated....therefore, every day in the year that has some major significance to any religion, culture, country should be a day off work for ALL of us. PAID holiday!

We'd have more days off than working days.

Got a beautiful early Christmas present this morning. We got up and were looking out at the lake which had a rainbow on it. An eagle flew through the rainbow and came straight at our window then swooped up over the house, went around and did it again. Of course we did not have a camera handy. It was wonderful.

Merry Christmas to one and all.

Apparently if someone wishes you a "Merry Christmas"/"Happy Holidays"/"Happy xxxxxxxx" you are supposed to say "same to you".

When you think about it though, not all religions celebrate Dec 25th as a religious holiday. Why should someone that doesn't have the same faith be forced to take that day off work and work on a day that is a religious day to them?

I think diversity should be celebrated....therefore, every day in the year that has some major significance to any religion, culture, country should be a day off work for ALL of us. PAID holiday!

Won't work for me... I only get 2 holidays off a year....retail.

I actually agree with you on this. Atheists and non-catholics should treat the Dec. 25th like any other work day.

As far as getting a day off for their religious holiday, that would be between them and their boss.

Guess that leaves the atheists at work...:stirthepot:

Merry CHRISTmas!

I actually agree with you on this. Atheists and non-catholics should treat the Dec. 25th like any other work day.

As far as getting a day off for their religious holiday, that would be between them and their boss.

Guess that leaves the atheists at work...:stirthepot:

Merry CHRISTmas!

Actually, the Atheist's already have a holiday. It falls on April 1 every year.

:santa:

Why should someone that doesn't have the same faith be forced to take that day off work and work on a day that is a religious day to them?

Let's take that one a step further then.

Here in BC, Canada (and in several other provinces) we have what is called "Family Day" ... it's a paid holiday. Now, if you don't have a family, get back to work! LOL

Really, they are getting their "religious" day off with pay ... it just so happens that THAT day is Dec 25th.

As for the Athiests (like me), Dec 25th is for when Santa Claus comes. :rasberry:

(now let's not go turning this into a religious debate coz we all know what will happen then.... right Don?)

Actually, the Atheist's already have a holiday. It falls on April 1 every year.

:santa:

As an Atheist, I believe in one less god than you do, probably for the same reason Christians, Jews, Moslems, etc. don't believe in all the gods they don't believe in.

I do not see that as any reason to indicate that Atheists are fools!

No, I am not offended... just saying!

PCism (being forced to refrain from offending someone politically) is just another way to get "we the people" to quietly surrender more of our freedoms found in the very "roots" of the original idea our founding fathers had... Tell you what, those founding fathers offended a TON of people in what they did, and what they did is STILL offending many many people!!

Maintaining their ideals has not been easy or cheap. Many many people have spilled their blood to begin and insure that our way of life, defined by the Declaration of Independence and The Constitution, is something that will be available for many generations to come..

I, personally, am thankful for each and everyone one of our military guys/girls who have/are willing to defend our constitutional rights and the continuance of our Democracy.

Due to our 1st Amendment (freedom of speech/religion), I love this time of year, I can openly celebrate my faith and I get to proclaim Merry Christmas at will.. To me, when I do so I am not just celebrating Christmas, I am also celebrating our Constitutional Rights,, kinda like I do when I shoot my gun during the 4th of July, ride my bike to a rally to protest something I dont agree with, vote in elections, or go to bed at night KNOWING that "authorities" cant just break into my home while I am sleeping and search my home..

So, that being said, I wish everyone a MERRY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A FANTASTIC NEW YEAR!! :bighug:

Oh yea, dont forget to VOTE IN THE 2014 MID-TERMS,,, maybe even reread the Declaration of Independence/Constitution/Bill of Rights before ya do - it is REALLY interesting!!!!!

The other day I was in Home depot, one of the Gentlemen there said, Happy Holidays as I was leaving the store, and I corrected him, By "You mean" Merry Christmas, don't you? He then said, the store would not allow him to say Merry Christmas, Not to offend others. REALLY !!!!!!!!!,

I'm sending a letter to my Home store in protest. Its okay to except every other holiday as they come up, But NOT CHRISTMAS. — feeling annoyed in Miramar, FL.

Today I was in my Home Store, "Home depot" and I talked to the Manager, explained why I was annoyed, that your employees are told to say Happy Holidays, to their shoppers, Instead of Merry Christmas. we talked about everyone's Festive days, you sell Christmas trees and Lights, but you can't say Merry Christmas, what up with that!!!!!.

A few moments later I here over the loudspeaker, The Management, employees, and our vendors, would like to wish EVERYONE a Very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year, and thank you, for shopping the Home Depot !!!:thumbsup2::thumbsup2::big-grin-emoticon::clap2::clap2:

PCism (being forced to refrain from offending someone politically) is just another way to get "we the people" to quietly surrender more of our freedoms found in the very "roots" of the original idea our founding fathers had... Tell you what, those founding fathers offended a TON of people in what they did, and what they did is STILL offending many many people!!

Maintaining their ideals has not been easy or cheap. Many many people have spilled their blood to begin and insure that our way of life, defined by the Declaration of Independence and The Constitution, is something that will be available for many generations to come..

I, personally, am thankful for each and everyone one of our military guys/girls who have/are willing to defend our constitutional rights and the continuance of our Democracy.

Due to our 1st Amendment (freedom of speech/religion), I love this time of year, I can openly celebrate my faith and I get to proclaim Merry Christmas at will.. To me, when I do so I am not just celebrating Christmas, I am also celebrating our Constitutional Rights,, kinda like I do when I shoot my gun during the 4th of July, ride my bike to a rally to protest something I dont agree with, vote in elections, or go to bed at night KNOWING that "authorities" cant just break into my home while I am sleeping and search my home..

So, that being said, I wish everyone a MERRY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A FANTASTIC NEW YEAR!! :bighug:

Oh yea, dont forget to VOTE IN THE 2014 MID-TERMS,,, maybe even reread the Declaration of Independence/Constitution/Bill of Rights before ya do - it is REALLY interesting!!!!!

Amen, brother, and a very Merry Christmas plus a great Happy New Year!

:farmer:

Per stats :(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religious_populations)

"The CIA's World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as:

Christian 31.59% (of which Roman Catholic 18.85%, Protestant 8.15%, Orthodox 4.96%, Anglican 1.26%),

Muslim 23.2%,

Hindu 15.0%,

Buddhist 7.1%,

Sikh 0.35%,

Jewish 0.2%,

Baha'i 0.11%,

other religions 10.95%,

non-religious 9.66%,

atheists 2.01%.

(2010 est.)"

(I changed the format for easier reading)

Based on those percentages...you should only say "Merry Christmas" to 1/3 of the population. That is why stores tell their staff to say "Happy Holidays", to not offend the other 2/3rds. Due to national holidays, most people are off between Dec 25 and Jan 1 so saying "Happy Holidays" covers everyone. If the U.S.A. and Canada were to recognize Muslim or Chinese holidays instead of Catholic them our holidays would be at different times of the year.

(following dates/info from Wikipedia)

For Chinese New Year you should say "Kung Hei Fat Choy" is based on the Lunar new year and is centuries old :

2014 date Friday, January 31, Horse

2015 date Thursday, February 19, Goat

My ancestry is Ukraniane and according to the Julian calendar January 6th is Christmas Eve, and January 7th is "Jordan" or Epiphany. Should I celebrate Dec 25th or Jan 7th? Would you be offended if as the January 7th date I said Merry Christmas then, and not before Dec 25th? Would you consider me odd (no comments Carl ! )

For Muslim's there are two official holidays in Islam: Eid Al-Fitr and Eid Al-Adha. Eid Al-Fitr is celebrated at the end of Ramadan (a month of fasting), and Muslims usually give zakat (charity) on the occasion. Eid Al-Adha is where Muslims usually sacrifice an animal and distribute its meat among family, friends and the poor. Both Islamic holidays follow the lunar calendar, and thus move each year relative to the solar calendar. The Islamic calendar has 12 months and 354 days on a regular year, and 355 days on a leap year.

Wars have been fought on religion. We need to remain understanding of peoples beliefs. Diversity is what the U.S.A. and Canada are built upon...it is the immigration to North America centuries ago that made our countries what they are.

When I left work today, I said "Merry Christmas" to those I know celebrate Christmas and "Happy Holidays" to those that I know are Muslim or "other". If one of my Chinese co-workers says "Kung Hei Fat Choy" to me, I'll wish them a "Happy New Year".

Sorry for the long post. Knowledge is a good thing and anything we learn is useful. Don't be "tolerant" of others but be understanding and accepting....whether someone is Catholic, Muslim, or Athiest.

Thought we were talking about in the United States...

Believe I heard we have well over 100,000,000 Christians....

On the other hand, I wouldn't go over to Iraq, Iran or India and expect a Merry Christmas greeting to go over very well either:confused24:.

Actually 73-80 percent of Americans identify themselves as Christian...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_States

Edited by CaptainJoe