IGNORED

Biker shot in back. Shooter claims self defense

royalstarjac

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was that mentioned in any of the other articles, and I simply missed it, or is this a new condition at this point in the case?

I read all the posts/replies to the article, most from local people.

The murderer remembers firing two "warning" shots but conveniently forgets firing the fatal shot.

Sounds like a family full of losers: the girls probably at fault in some serious way; the wife stupidly yelling at hubby to get his gun; the idiot firing at a passing bike.

Who knows what happened exactly but, if someone hit you on your bike, would you just drive away? Nope, you'd follow them and find their address....

Sad story. Hopefully, the Dad goes to jail forever, the wife is sued and loses everything, the idiot daughters lose a father and feel the guilt of lying/crying wolf the rest of their lives.

Keep us posted on this story, very riveting.

sounds like a dirt bag family from the word go. it's ashame the new biker did'nt use better judgment and let it ride. i feel bad for his family. if the guy did try to run him down and missed as is claimed, you go in and call the police. you don't run out in the driveway with a loaded gun. and call it a medical problem. i think his wife is guilty of something for instigating it. :cool10:

sounds like a dirt bag family from the word go. it's ashame the new biker did'nt use better judgment and let it ride. i feel bad for his family. if the guy did try to run him down and missed as is claimed, you go in and call the police. you don't run out in the driveway with a loaded gun. and call it a medical problem. i think his wife is guilty of something for instigating it. :cool10:

Everyone here seems to think the same thing "that if I was hit by another motorist I would just drive away and chalk it up to experience."

I'm not sure that any of you wouldnt at least try to find out where this person lived so that if there were damage to my bike I could seek damages.

Thats not even mentioning the idea that these girls were way out of line.

Are all of you really so forgiving?

Or is hind sight just so much fun to espouse.

Everyone here seems to think the same thing "that if I was hit by another motorist I would just drive away and chalk it up to experience."

I'm not sure that any of you wouldnt at least try to find out where this person lived so that if there were damage to my bike I could seek damages.

I think I too might have followed the vehicle, if for nothing more than to get a license plate number. I don't know that I would have necessarily followed it all the way home. But who knows.

never said he was wrong following the girls. just said if he would have used better judgement, he would still be with us. the guy is a murderer anyway you look at it.

Glancing at some of the comments on the linked article, it seems the guy has stage 4 kidney failure, but that wouldn't affect his mind. Another indicated that there was at least one other "incident" involving Gear, his daughters and a gun, a couple of years ago! (not involving the young man)

I think the "illness" is a ploy to garner sympathy from the jury. If he actually has a functional, mental problem, why on earth would his wife tell him to go get the gun and why would he still be permitted have one in his posession, especially, given the previous incident?

I don't know the area, there, but if the kid were not familar with this specific neighborhood, wouldn't it be logical for him to turn around and ride out the way he came in??

This whole thing reminds me of this old sourpuss tobacco farmer around here. For years and years, he has said things, made threats, done some off-handed and back-handed things to people and has gotten away with it all this time because everybody knows him and "Aw, that's just him, he'll blow up & off, then he'll cool off and you won't hear anything more about it". Or, they don't want to provoke him more. Well, a little while back, he got his britches in a wad, started shooting off his mouth, pulled a knife and threatened this young, new county cop (well known to the area and to the old guy). He was warned and in front of witnesses...the cop had no choice but to hook him up and take him in!

The point is that my "old guy" should have been called on his actions a long time ago and wasn't, so he basically thought he could do whatever he darn well felt like and get away with it and did pretty much, right up to the point our young cop set him straight. I have a feeling this guy Gear may be a similar personality. But, no matter what the situation, the young man was shot going away. It's a lousy, cowardly thing to do and a lousy way for the young man to have to die (not that any of them are any good)! icon8.gif

Nope and said so in my comments in a previous post:

"if someone hit you on your bike, would you just drive away? Nope, you'd follow them and find their address...."

I think most of us, if hit by someone, would follow them to see where they lived. Then, leaving out the same road you came in is perfectly normal. What's also sad is that this guy was wearing a helmet for protection. It's likely the helmet, bike/wind noise prevented him from hearing the first shots. Guess we need to add kevlar body armor to our list of equipment.

Fortunately, it's sounding like this local police force is really on the ball and this guy should be going away for a long time. Sure hope they take the guns away from his crazy wife and loser daughters too.

Also, is it me or are there a lot of crazy, super-aggressive young women driving these days? The worst tail-gaters I see are often very young women....

Went back and looked didn't you??:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

There are all sorts of names for people like you....

How many of them do you answer to...???

I answer to almost all of them myself.. http://www3.telus.net/drbar/pics/doggie_2.gif

It's starting to look like Gear is going to be a prime candidate for Georgias electric chair. I'm trying not to form an opinion, but the evidence being released by the media sure is making it tough.
probably not premeditated murder but, involuntary manslaughter. he'll probably get alot of years with possibility of parole. don't think he will walk the streets for a long time. just another piece of crap we have to support. :depressed:

Bill, I'm not so sure about the premeditation or involuntary part. The girls called home some period of time prior to actually getting there. He got the gun and waited till the young man passed by in one direction..several minutes pass, then the young man passes by in the other direction, and is shot from behind. That and Gear lied about the point on the victims body where he shot him. Said he fired facing the guy, when in fact he shot him in the back! Even if they don't go after him for premeditation, there was nothing involuntary about it. I'd say more likely man-1.

I think Gear will have a hard time proving that he DIDN'T have every intention of trying to shoot to kill the young man, particularly given prior acts, timing of the events, his attempts to make it look like self defense and his own relatives testimonies that dispute Gears story. If you're an minimally skilled, minimally trained, you don't shoot directly at a person to try to scare them (if that were your intent), without knowing you MIGHT very well kill them. If you DO have any training and/or skill and shoot directly at someone, you obviously intend to try to kill them (unless you're very highly skilled, then you could merely wound them; so again, if you killed them, it would be intentional and I believe from the available evidence so far premeditated or man-1, as above.)

I also think that if they convict the father of murder and can show that those girls lied about who hit who and that they embellished the story to their parents to stay out of trouble, my opinion is that they should be charged with "accessory (before the fact) to murder". They might well get off, but the process and the prospect of jail or worse should put the fear of God in them and make them think before they ever did anything similar again! But that assumes they even get charged.

And for what it's worth, I (nor anyone else) don't need to follow anybody home in this situation. If I have make, model, color of the vehicle, occupant descriptions and tag number, I can find out where they live or leave it to the cops when I file a hit & run complaint.

OK, I'm done

the kid is riding a brand new 250??? Sounds like a young man on his new bike its not like he was someone riding something bigger or knarly. Not that someone on a small bike can't be dangerous but a 250 Ramming a Car???!!! come on!

Oh and the kidney thing , my girl friend has stage 3 kidney disease and it doessn't affect the mind or judgement for her it was a symptom of misdiagnosed diabeties.

At least the jury locked him up where he belongs! don't get me wrong, I believw that a man has to protect his family no matter whatever, but he stepped over the line and a kid is dead! No amount of jail time will bring the boys family together again.