IGNORED

What does the backup fuse do?

I seem to have traced a short to the backup fuse. I am not sure what the purpose of the backup fuse or rather the power of the line the fuse serves.

I think it goes to the condenser and the RR. When the bike is off and backup fuse out and condenser disconnected I get a reading of 3.2 volts at the neg pole and neg wire on volt meter accross both. The condenser was bad I am guessing by radio problems and the fact with it connected the volts reading goes up to 12.75.

Now when I put in the backup fuse it sparks but does not blow and the volts go back up to 12.75 even with the condenser out.

Would it hurt the bike to run it with the backup fuse removed?

What would cause a short in the line that the backup serves does it go to something beside the condenser and RR?

Thanks for any help with this.

Roger

Hmm....I can see no reason the "Backup Fuse" would be needed as the manual states it is for the odometer & clock. Not sure how that ties into the capacitor or R/R.

The clock & odometer are located in the instrument cluster. To reset the clock or odometer you use the two buttons labeled RESET & SELECT to the left of the right front speaker. I would be looking in that area.

You said you had traced a short to the backup fuse but its not blowing the fuse. Don't follow that. What exactly is the problem?

1. Backup fuse (for odometer and clock)

2. Radiator fan fuse

3. Headlight fuse

4. Signaling system fuse

5. Ignition fuse 6. Spare fuse

The 'back up fuse' is the same as 'keep alive' in automotive. There is no internal battery as in your PC or lap top computer. So a separate memory maintainer circuit is used. This keep alive circuit has a separate fuse called the 'back-up' on the Venture.

Mike

Hmm....I can see no reason the "Backup Fuse" would be needed as the manual states it is for the odometer & clock. Not sure how that ties into the capacitor or R/R.

The clock & odometer are located in the instrument cluster. To reset the clock or odometer you use the two buttons labeled RESET & SELECT to the left of the right front speaker. I would be looking in that area.

You said you had traced a short to the backup fuse but its not blowing the fuse. Don't follow that. What exactly is the problem?

1. Backup fuse (for odometer and clock)

2. Radiator fan fuse

3. Headlight fuse

4. Signaling system fuse

5. Ignition fuse 6. Spare fuse

RougerRay

I have been trying to find what is causing a continuity reading across the Neg pole and the Neg ground wire of 12.75. With every fuse out and a new RR and the condenser out I got a reading of 3.5 which is what you think to power the memories on the bike.

Then connected all the fuses and the 3.5 reading held. When the last fuse (always the last) the backup fuse was put the 12.75 returned. Sooooooo figured what ever was causing the reading had to be somewhere in the backup system. Also the radio fuse was taken out and left out as well. The bike with new RR now charges at 14.3 and with backup fuse out, condenser out and radio fuse out the reading is 3.5 volts so my question was trying to determind if anyone saw any harm to the bike if I rode it like that at least long enough to see if the RR didn't short out or start to charge back down at 13.4 which is were the old RR was doing. I have another condenser comming and when it gets in I will put it on the bike and see if the 3.5 holds if it does then I will add the radio fuse and see if it holds at 3.5 and if those things happen then I would again try the backup fuse back in to see if it stays at 3.5 or goes back up to 12.75 reading.

At this stage I am ready to even leave it in and see if it drains the battery or rather the reading is just some kind of electric ghost.

• 8 months later...