IGNORED

VMax rear end - first 600 miles

So far, I would say I have a keeper. The bike just 'feels' stronger. She moves easily through the gears. She responds when I twist her throttle. Everything just feels more comfortable. I don't know how else to describe it. I'm getting a little more noise, but I can still hear my tunes... no problem.

As far as fuel mileage... First lets agree to limit any comments to the bikes rear end. I know I get bad mpg compared to many of you, but why that is would be another thread. Yes I keep the tires within 2 psi of max sidewall pressure. Changed the plugs... one was a little darker, but not bad. All were dry. I use SeaFoam several times a year. Chokes all the way in. Carbs are tuned regularly by me. Engine runs good and can haul my rear around faster than I have any business going. Maybe it's a combination of being as big 1up as most of you are 2up... of pushing a lot of air with a wide windshield and lower deflectors and a wide body... or flying the two 11x14 flags (a buddy said his mileage went down when his flags went up)... or riding at the speed limit +5mph (real speed, not yama-speed)... or not wanting to waste time getting from 10 mph to 75 mph... or who knows what else. I've fueled up 234 times since she first hit the driveway. I've averaged 31.5 mpg in 31952 miles. I also keep a running avg of the last 10 fill-ups. Over the winter, that avg has dropped from 32.5 to 29.5 now. I say all this so you can decide for yourself if you think your mileage may be affected in the same way as mine.

Four tanks before the VMax rear swap - avg 29.57

Four tanks since the VMax rear swap - avg 29.47

Yep... I think it's a keeper.

Where did you get the rear end ?

Blue Ridge Mountain SportMax

I logged in to answer your post and their advertisement was in the upper right corner. John's been on vacation the last 2 weeks but I think he is due back on the 27th.

$300 for the rear end (+$25 shipping) with a $300 core charge. I wanted to keep my OEM final drive, so when I saw Brad (Squidley) had one for sale, I bought it to use as a core.

I was sure, most Guys would like the shorter rear End, but your Records made out the Guestimate of others and myself that the Mileage won't get hurt, or at least not going real bad.

I just want to thank you for a real investigative Approach on this Swap Issue.

Yes, it's nice that somebody finally did it. I had always intended to but was having problems figuring out why my mileage had dropped so bad before I even added the rear end. I knew that it hadn't hurt my mileage and based upon running a tank of gas through mine on the freeway in 4th gear before changing the rear ends, I think that in some instances, like when pulling a trailer, the mileage may actually improve.

or not wanting to waste time getting from 10 mph to 75 mph... or who knows what

Could be it. With the "blue Beast" I never got out of the 30's MPG when riding by myself. Riding with others I could break 40. Could be because I like listening to that V-4 in the lower gears when it is winding up? My claim to seeing 120 MPH in 3rd gear might fit in there somewhere. Although I've been told it is not possible I saw the thing hit 120 MPH in 3rd Gear just about Redline. That's my story and I'm sticking TO IT!! Faster than I needed to be going anyway. When I ride with others I tend to be a little more "sedate" in manner. The only good ride I got to take on the "Parts Bike" I matched Skid in the 40's MPG.

Just babbling this morning but it bugs me that Skid stays in the 40's and I can't seem to. And I'm looking for that V-Max rear for whichever one I get on the road.

So that's where the rear gear from my bike went. I was wondering. Squid had bought that from me a while back after I did the swap. I rolled my own though. I took a V Max rear gear housing and milled the speedo sensor boss out to match and removed the shock bolt and installed it. It's a lot cheaper that way, but you do have to have a mill or have a friend who's a machinist. The original rear gear sat on the shelf for a while in case I didn't like the results. But it only took about a day of riding and I knew it would never go back on the bike, and I sold it off.

or not wanting to waste time getting from 10 mph to 75 mph... or who knows what And I'm looking for that V-Max rear for whichever one I get on the road.

Dan, I'm a little confused this morning and I've already gone thru a pot of coffee.... :) Why would you want to put a v-max final in a 1stGen? We're already running 4000+ most of the time at freeway speeds. Put a V-Max in there and you'll be up in the hi 4's, mayvbe low 5's. Granted you're hole shots will be awesome, and you're burnouts a piece of cake, but your mpg will go to hell in a handbasket.....:whistling:

Dan, I'm a little confused this morning and I've already gone thru a pot of coffee.... :) Why would you want to put a v-max final in a 1stGen? We're already running 4000+ most of the time at freeway speeds. Put a V-Max in there and you'll be up in the hi 4's, mayvbe low 5's. Granted you're hole shots will be awesome, and you're burnouts a piece of cake, but your mpg will go to hell in a handbasket.....:whistling:

:sign yeah that: I gotta agree that would be too high of rpms at cruise. I'm putting a Vmax rear on my 1st Gen but also putting a 2nd Gen tranny in also. I want those lower rpms at highway speed. There might be a 1st gen tranny for sale on ebay if I like the results.

They're great on a 1st gen. for 2 up mountain riding. Just stick it in 4th and you could go up and down the mountain all day without shifting. Kind of sucks on the highway...looking for that extra gear all the time. Mileage...not sooooo bad I'm getting around 37 just back and forth to work at, indicated, 80mph (with the higher octane stuff...about 34 to 35 with regular). That's only about 16 miles on the highway.

Oh and mileage on the last mountain trip, up to Breckenridge 2 up, was around 45 or so.

Oh and she'll do well over 75...:whistling:

They're great on a 1st gen. for 2 up mountain riding. Just stick it in 4th and you could go up and down the mountain all day without shifting. Kind of sucks on the highway...looking for that extra gear all the time. Mileage...not sooooo bad I'm getting around 37 just back and forth to work at, indicated, 80mph (with the higher octane stuff...about 34 to 35 with regular). That's only about 16 miles on the highway.

Oh and mileage on the last mountain trip, up to Breckenridge 2 up, was around 45 or so.

Oh and she'll do well over 75...:whistling:

Thats what I'm talking about!!!

I like the idea of a Vmax rearend on a 1st gen too, it's an almost nessecity on a G2. If your 2 up and pulling a trailer it's much more responsive. If your going to be running at 80 or better then you will take a hit on the MPG with the 1st gen. I would like the piece of mind that I could get out of a situation just a bit faster

:confused24:

Lynn....it's good to see that the rearend we swapped made good use :happy34:

To each his own I guess. When I'm running down the highway I wish I had one more gear above 5th... Don't do burn outs... can't afford the tires. Don't need to beat anyone off the line... Don't need to prove anything. I'd rather mooch along and enjoy the scenery.:thumbsup2:

I know this description won't mean a lot because you can't really quantify it. The bike just seems to 'like' these gears. I haven't changed my riding style, but the bike seems 'happier'. It seems to have more 'energy'. That's just my subjective take on it. Another rider may find that nothing feels good about the change.... and both of us would be correct. I still think this mod is right for me. BuddyRich... if you are thinking about the swap, let me know. You're close by. I bet we can arrange for you to sit in seat and run through the gears a few times.

Todays fill-up brought the avg since the swap down to about 29.1. Been fighting winds though. I'll post the results when I have 10 tanks through it. That helps smooth out those times you don't top off or have unusual conditions like todays winds.

I have a V Max rear in my 87 and like Big Shell said "it likes it". Gas mileage will decrease mainly because the FUN has BEGUN. I haven"t lose any top end, because it seems to have less problems pushing through the wind at higher speeds and it does it much quicker. The quirkness i had at 112-117 mph is not there now, before the rear change towing a cargo trailer ( Kompac Kamp ) 125 mph was no problem. These motors seem to be more affected by wind resitantace than a lot of other engines.