IGNORED

Carb sync tool ...

darthandy

A friend loaned me a set of vacuum gauges to sync my carbs. I noticed that one had a needle well off zero and another was slightly off (He hasn't used them in a few years.). There seems to be an adjustment screw (Just a guess on my part.) on the face of the dial but there's no way to get at it. I emailed the company, asking if there was a way to remove the face cover to get at the screw. They replied that the units (Actron) are factory sealed and if they are off zero the unit needs to be replaced. I wasn't impressed with the company's reply. I seem to remember reading a thread on this forum that talked about zeroing out the gauges with an adjustment screw so I assume a better quality gauge would have that capability. Now I'm thinking of buying a set of Emgo gauges to do the work and was wondering if anyone had experience with these and if they knew whether or not they are adjustable.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/EMGO-VACUUM-CARB-SYNCH-84-68594/dp/B003CJGDE8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375723294&sr=8-1&keywords=emgo+carb]Amazon.com: EMGO VACUUM CARB SYNCH EMGO 84-68594: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51BYvgAYrjL.@@AMEPARAM@@51BYvgAYrjL[/ame]

Andy

I've never seen a vacuum gage that wasn't adjustable, but in this case it is more important that they all read the same under the same vacuum than whether they all start at "0". You can check that by putting "T"s in the lines until you can hook them all to the same vacuum source at the same time...at that point you should be able to adjust a decent set of gages to read all the same.

A friend loaned me a set of vacuum gauges to sync my carbs. I noticed that one had a needle well off zero and another was slightly off (He hasn't used them in a few years.). There seems to be an adjustment screw (Just a guess on my part.) on the face of the dial but there's no way to get at it. I emailed the company, asking if there was a way to remove the face cover to get at the screw. They replied that the units (Actron) are factory sealed and if they are off zero the unit needs to be replaced. I wasn't impressed with the company's reply. I seem to remember reading a thread on this forum that talked about zeroing out the gauges with an adjustment screw so I assume a better quality gauge would have that capability. Now I'm thinking of buying a set of Emgo gauges to do the work and was wondering if anyone had experience with these and if they knew whether or not they are adjustable.

Amazon.com: EMGO VACUUM CARB SYNCH EMGO 84-68594: Automotive

Andy

I have this same set of gauges. That is an adjustment screw on the face. All you have to do is carefully remove the plastic cover by gently twisting it:301:

Im looking for what one to buy also. I saw one that said it had all these adapter but ni mention of yamaha. So does the carb tune come with all you would need?

Whats the one very similar to the carb tune soms in us? Carb somwthung looks almost the same is on amazon for like 75 bucks.

Im looking for what one to buy also. I saw one that said it had all these adapter but ni mention of yamaha. So does the carb tune come with all you would need?

Whats the one very similar to the carb tune soms in us? Carb somwthung looks almost the same is on amazon for like 75 bucks.

I believe the Carbtune has aluminum rods in the measuring unit. These avoid some potential problems with liquid based units but they can have their own problems. The similar unit you saw on Amazon is probably the Motion Pro synchronizer. It uses liquid in the measuring unit and can therefore be subject to bubbles which can throw off the reading or to having the liquid sucked out of the unit. Having said that, the reviews I've seen for both units seem to be pretty good overall. Do a search of recent threads on the subject and you'll see some pretty good explanations of the pluses and minuses for each type along with personal experiences from members who have used them. At the end of the day, I suspect that the best choice is to go with the unit that you feel most confident will do the job you want. That's my reason for looking at the gauges - I've used gauge-based measuring tools over the years and am comfortable using them and I've found them reliable - provided you stick to good quality units. Of course that's true of any tool.

Andy

i have the EMGO VACUUM CARB SYNCH EMGO 84-68594 they are fine the needles get a bit bouncy so you have to adjust the little taps that fit on the tubes have had then for years and have used them on all my bikes. the rubber vacuum tubes get a bit daggy on the ends over the years so i just trim a bit off. might just replace the rubber one day :backinmyday:

get the Carb-tune from England, everybody on the site seems to be very happy with it.

No, not everyone on this site likes that English tool - I personally think it is just a small step above junk. I have used many of them a lot, and I hate it. I have seen a brand new one come out of the box not reading the same on all tubes, and according to the factory, they cannot be adjusted or fixed.

My personal preference is the gauges. I have a very old set that looks just like the one pictured (had it for over 30 years). The instructions for mine specifically state that they can be calibrated by simply taking off the glass cover and repositioning the needle.

No matter what tool you use, make sure you hook them all to a single vacuum source to verify they read the same before you trust the readings. I use a vacuum pump for that test because it is a steady pull, but you can do it off an engine vacuum port also.

Goose

Yes the Carb-Tune comes with every thing you need. I love it and never heard anyone having any problems with them, at least not on the XJ forum.:backinmyday:

:mytruck1:

My personal preference is the gauges. I have a very old set that looks just like the one pictured (had it for over 30 years). The instructions for mine specifically state that they can be calibrated by simply taking off the glass cover and repositioning the needle.

Taking a gauge face off and repositioning a needle to zero at atmospheric pressure is absolutley not a calibration of 4 stand alone gauges.

All this does is aligns the needles at zero. Just as with the carbtune, there will still be individual variances in each of the 4 gauges such as vacuum losses, friction of the needles in assembly and variances of the spring mechanism that control needle.

To properly calibrate a set of gauges, a known vacuum must be applied to each gage one at a time. The needle can then be adjusted manually so that all gauges read the same, preferably in a range that gauges are to be used at. When vacuum is removed and gauge is reading atmospheric pressure, the needles may or may not be zeroed. It is totally irrevelant where needles fall at rest.

Gary

I bought a gauge set like the one pictured a few weeks ago from Dennis kirk for $89 with free shipping. I've used gauges on all of my bikes over the years and found that they are the easiest to work with, and they last for many years.

I just looked this up on the Dennis Kirk website and it says that the 6mm adapters we require don't come with it and are not available from them. Where did you get yours?

Well if the English unit is non adjustable, its out of play and gauges are looking good, read on the net the can be most accurate. Info still bouncing around in my head. I probably should get carb done and wait until after maint. day to decide after I see the magic.

Ok after much google I decide that Motion Pro is way to go especially when concerning parts availability for future, seems to be a lot of them and a lot of satisfied customers using them. If something extra is needed, looks like its easy to get.

This one [ame=http://www.amazon.com/MOTION-TOOL-MERC-SYNC-08-0411/dp/B000WPW3EE/ref=pd_sbs_auto_17]Amazon.com: MOTION PRO TOOL MERC FREE CARB SYNC- 08-0411: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31gWSb9c-xL.@@AMEPARAM@@31gWSb9c-xL[/ame]

looks to be new design says can be stored horizonal (not that I would) and mercury free! (I used to fish thermometers from grade school garbage cans and chase the mercury around on hard wood floors! And I'm OK!)

So for people who have one and have done it. What else is needed. Are the 6mm adapters REALLY needed? They SAY they are for Yamaha. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0040-Carburetor-Adapter/dp/B000OO4PWG/ref=pd_sbs_auto_9]Amazon.com: Motion Pro 08-0040 6mm Carburetor Adapter Set: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41A%2B8cNlJmL.@@AMEPARAM@@41A%2B8cNlJmL[/ame]

And what other special tools? Carb adjustment screwdriver? Like this dude,

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-Carb-Adjusting-Tool/dp/B001DDH2ZY/ref=pd_sbs_auto_7]Amazon.com: Motion Pro Carb Adjusting Tool - --: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/216oZJZDc%2BL.@@AMEPARAM@@216oZJZDc%2BL[/ame]

I think I have one in my old V8 1960's tuning kit, but I think its shorter.

Fan for cooling while tuning?

Poor mans Gas supply? (I read you can do it with tank on. Really?) Really?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/motorcycle-shop-auxiliary-fuel-tank/dp/B004NV42PQ/ref=pd_sbs_auto_12]motorcycle shop auxiliary gas fuel tank tool : Amazon.com : Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31wZAmJTvLL.@@AMEPARAM@@31wZAmJTvLL[/ame]

I'll probably order from Amazon, since I order thousands off them a year, they know me. When I went there, all sorts of other tools and options pop up. I want just want Just what I need to do the RSV not every snowmobile in town.

Edited by IronMike

You don't need anything else except for the gauges and a couple of screwdrivers. A long phillips head and a regular straight blade. You don't need any adapters nor a fan. It literally takes about 10 minutes to sync the carbs. The tank nor seat have to be removed. Very simple. Personally, I would either go with the carb tune or the vacuum gauges as shown in your first post. The Motion Pro are fine and will do the job as well as anything but have to be handled a bit more carefully and I have seen the mercury...or whatever they use now...get sucked out of the tubes if one of the carbs is off too badly.

Hey Andy....got the carbs done? If not, I can come over with my brand new carbtune, never used...cause I don't know how it works, and we could do your bike, and mine as well. :confused24:

:beer:

Sounds like a plan. PM me and we can set up a day and time. A friend loaned me some old gauges that he had, but two of them are off zero with no way to adjust them. I checked them out and the difference seems to be consistent so I can finagle a test that should be reasonably accurate, but I'd rather use a better tool. I haven't ordered anything yet and I would like to adjust the carbs soon. Thanks for the offer.

Andy