IGNORED

trial members new purchase & 1st post

Ron Melby

Calibri;}

Hello , I'm a new trial member who was originally looking at buying a Ultraglide, but stubbled onto Ventures in my search. Really did a lot of research and felt the value was better with ther Yamaha. Thanks to the Venturerider web site, I used information found here for research in knowing this was a good buy. It was inherited by seller due to death, long story short, I offerd $5700 and bought, This is a great bike and think I will really enjoy it. CraigsList orginal ad :

2007 Yamaha Midnight Venture - $6000 (Poplar Bluff, MO)

ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=4GETbP%2bhFrFSQi2JR9ZRMNIoRYTA%2b2TBpUG%2fY72FDMs%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fimages.craigslist.org%2f00q0q_elABDb2YN7U_50x50c.jpg ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=4GETbP%2bhFrFSQi2JR9ZRMNIoRYTA%2b2TBpUG%2fY72FDMs%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fimages.craigslist.org%2f00Z0Z_kgltx3oqMmL_50x50c.jpg ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=4GETbP%2bhFrFSQi2JR9ZRMNIoRYTA%2b2TBpUG%2fY72FDMs%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fimages.craigslist.org%2f00v0v_krLTx8PExY6_50x50c.jpg ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=4GETbP%2bhFrFSQi2JR9ZRMNIoRYTA%2b2TBpUG%2fY72FDMs%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fimages.craigslist.org%2f01717_ledujAi10zZ_50x50c.jpg

ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=4GETbP%2bhFrFSQi2JR9ZRMNIoRYTA%2b2TBpUG%2fY72FDMs%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fimages.craigslist.org%2f00q0q_elABDb2YN7U_600x450.jpg

Excellent condition, fully loaded touring bike. Stereo, intercom, CB radio. 17,000 miles. 573xxxxxxxxxxxx

Ron, welcome to the insanity that is VertureRiders. Congrats on the steal. :clap2: Use your trial membership. You will find that the $12 membership will be a value that can't be beat. Equal parts dysfunction, knowledge, humor, and compassion. Friends you haven't met yet and things you never thought you would see.

Can't wait to meet some of these birds for the first time in a few weeks.

What a time to have removed the icon that says, "This post is useless without pics." :whistling:

Since you are so savvy in your purchases, I know a deal for $12. Comes with manuals, updates, upgrades and help anytime you mite need it. Good going on o7. sandy

Your trial access expires in 52 days. You can subscribe

here.

I'm kind of a thrifty type of person, and hold my money as long as I can. and yes, in 52 days this will be another great deal

Thanks for all the kind comments, even all the way from Australia, what a place.

Your trial access expires in 52 days. You can subscribe

here.

I'm kind of a thrifty type of person, and hold my money as long as I can. and yes, in 52 days this will be another great deal

Thanks for all the kind comments, even all the way from Australia, what a place.

That means we cain't tell ya the secrets for 52 more days!!! :innocent: Gonna be a long wait....:whistling:

• 3 years later...

I bought a 1986 VR for 2000.00. I have been thinking that I got a bad deal I have had to rebuild the carbs, throttle cables, new starter, battery and front fork seals and 73,000 miles I did not notice that the bike has been wrecked and repaired fairly good. I have since been noticing some of my friend that have purchased much newer HDs are haveing to fix much more than I have that 25yrs newer

twisted2010.

I bought a 1986 VR for 2000.00. I have been thinking that I got a bad deal I have had to rebuild the carbs, throttle cables, new starter, battery and front fork seals and 73,000 miles I did not notice that the bike has been wrecked and repaired fairly good. I have since been noticing some of my friend that have purchased much newer HDs are haveing to fix much more than I have that 25yrs newer

twisted2010.

May or may not have paid to much Twisted - one nice thing about these good old Ventures, after ya get em sorted out they are very solid machines. Finish her up and begin the process of racking up the miles of smiles:thumbsup:!!!

By the way,, :welcome1: to VR and alllll the best in getting your scoot up to par...

Puc

PS - :lightbulb:,,, start a new thread (this ones kind of an old one) and include some :photographing:'s of your scoot = the lop eared varmints around this joint would LOVE to hear about it!!!:thumbsup:

Well, you may or may not have spent too much. IMHO the way you describe it true 1500 or less may have been more appropriate.

Question 1. Was the bike running when purchased?? What symptoms are you experiencing with the carbs? Maybe all they need is a good dose of seafoam or possibly a cleaning technique known as "shotgunning" the carbs. Also inspect the rubber diaphragms for pinholes and replace as needed. The carbs do not need to come out to do this.

Question 2. What makes you think you have to replace the starter?? It is a known issue with the stock 2 brush starter that they turn over slow, but upgrading the battery cables is an improvement. Currently Yamagrl is making up a run of replacement cables, you might want to get in touch with Heather. If you replace the starter get a 4 brush starter out of a 2nd gen Venture, they bolt right up. Also if you replace the battery, spring the extra bucks and get an AGM battery. tioons here on site to bypass the battery acid level sensor so the light goes out and the battery icon.

Question 3. just what kind of damage did you find? Broken tabs on the fairing? That is unfortunately kind of normal whether or not the bike got dropped. Rashed up crash bars?? What damage did you find??

twisted2010.

I will put it this way as far as Harley's go. When I went in to pay my bill on my bike; I was looking at around $1000 total cost could have been $300 More very easily. This guy was picking up his Harley believe he had stator replaced, carbs cleaned, and something else his bill was $4800. Now for the list of things I had them do to it. Rebuild starter, Rebuild Carbs, replace fork seals, Lube things up, Replace brakes, Guy also rebuilt my rear brake cylinder, Something to do with my clutch master o get the screw out that was stripped, and He replaced seals in there. There was a couple other things but I thought it was gonna hit me at about $2000 or better. I was all smiles climbing on the back of that bike thanking the bike for calling out to me when I bought her. Because I was seriously looking into a brand new Harley for around $6995 the guy told me he could get me on it for $6500 cash. I can't remember what he called it but its the lowest priced one they have and it was nice looking too. It was just something about that old 83 I liked and I have got alot of blood sweat and tears into her and wouldn't have it any other way. It also seems that a co-worker of the Warden's Harley is in the shop it seems like at least once a month. I just don't see how people can afford them.

Well, you may or may not have spent too much. IMHO the way you describe it true 1500 or less may have been more appropriate.

Question 2. What makes you think you have to replace the starter?? It is a known issue with the stock 2 brush starter that they turn over slow, but upgrading the battery cables is an improvement. Currently Yamagrl is making up a run of replacement cables, you might want to get in touch with Heather. If you replace the starter get a 4 brush starter out of a 2nd gen Venture, they bolt right up. Also if you replace the battery, spring the extra bucks and get an AGM battery. tioons here on site to bypass the battery acid level sensor so the light goes out and the battery icon.

Hey

Do those resistors ever burn out? I made 2 spare 1k ohms and 2 spare 2.2k ohms. I was bored figured what the heck and just did it. Has nothing to do with anything but I will mention I bought a battery back in March of this year and I have to charge it every other night it seems. I paid $50 for it. So with that being said I wished I had spent the $128 for the this glass matte battery the guy at autozone tried to get me to buy. I am bullheaded at times and usually that guy is right. But I had no experience with glass matt battery's. I believe he said it is the best you can buy. So what is the difference between Glass matt and the AGM batteries