IGNORED

K 1200lt bmw

star4772

Anyone have any thoughts about this bike I might have a line on one for trade 2000 K1200LT 38000 miles looks to be in really clean condition. I don't know anything about these bikes. Anyone have any thoughts they come fully loaded from what I can tell ABS, heated grips and seats, stereo, cd changer, power windshield, reverse, EFI, not sure on cb, intercom and ???

He is asking $5800 wants to trade for my 08 sportster. book to book value sporty is about 1500-2000 more.

Edited by star4772

from what I hear they are excellent! like a road sofa. I personally like the looks of the GT better, and will probably buy a GS next, but, that is a good looking LT.

Yes it is but never had one or road one so I know nothing about them, is why I'm asking.

What's the GS?

I only know what I read on the internet and in the Wall Street Journal, and BMW motorcycles enjoy the highest rate of shop repairs of any brand. I thought Harley D's would enjoy #1 position, but no, they are #2 behind BMW. If you get the bike, be sure to keep a full bank account.

Yamaha was near the bottom of the list for shop repair frequency.

Sorry, I don't have a link for the articles.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

'88VR

I only know what I read on the internet and in the Wall Street Journal, and BMW motorcycles enjoy the highest rate of shop repairs of any brand. I thought Harley D's would enjoy #1 position, but no, they are #2 behind BMW. If you get the bike, be sure to keep a full bank account.

Yamaha was near the bottom of the list for shop repair frequency.

Sorry, I don't have a link for the articles.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

'88VR

Wow that's good to know thanks for the info. Would be nice if someone had the article.

It was posted here before... do a search for Consumer Reports...

Found the thread - http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=76912

.. and the Consumer Reports link http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2013/05/most-reliable-motorcycles/index.htm

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2013/03/motorcycle-reliability-survey-shows-what-goes-wrong.html

Edited by XV1100SE
added thread link and CR link

I just rode one last night...it's a 2001 that belongs to hngrider....was trying it out as I was thinking about one of them as well....the problem for me is that the seating position puts your feet closer to your backside then I can handle...that is what is causing my issues with my Wing that I have to sell. Other then that, it is a wonderful machine and it if weren't for my hip problem with the seating psoition, I would buy one in a heartbeat....that's just me though.

I just rode one last night...it's a 2001 that belongs to hngrider....was trying it out as I was thinking about one of them as well....the problem for me is that the seating position puts your feet closer to your backside then I can handle...that is what is causing my issues with my Wing that I have to sell. Other then that, it is a wonderful machine and it if weren't for my hip problem with the seating psoition, I would buy one in a heartbeat....that's just me though.

Hey thanks for that advice I kind of have the same problem but maybe not as bad as you say but that info was good, thanks.

Have never personally owned a Beamer but did a bunch of touring with a fellow who had one. Pros and cons that I observed and that we talked alot about while traveling (gotta do something while stopped for the night)..

Pros

NICE BIKES!!

Super gas mileage!

Very quiet!

Quality parts and pieces!

Excellent tour package!

Cons

High prices for quality parts and pieces.

Not a lot of dealerships around.

Seemed top heavy at slow speeds.

Gotta park on center stand over night or ya get "puff" of smoke on start up.

Guy had less than 40k on his and had already had issues with ABS and drive line - not cheap.

I am always working on my bikes so I cant really say that the beamers are any worse than any other bikes as far as issues go - kinda all have issues they inherit.. I would love to own one too (I like all bikes) but, alas, money seems to be my ongoing issue (not enough haha)... If I had 5800 to spend on a bike I think I would save a little more and buy a newer Venture,, only cause they have proved themselves to me and got me home over and over again..

Puc

My riding buddy has an LT 1200 that I've ridden several times. It's extremely smooth and quiet, has all the bells and whistles we enjoy on Ventures, with a couple more. Biggest drawback for me is it's a tall bike and I'm on tip-toes when riding it. He doesn't seem to have a great deal of maintenance problems with it.

Never owned one, but I'm still struggling with drooling issues over the 1600 model.

I hear pretty much the same song from most the BMW owners I meet.

They say it's like having a trophy wife.

Everybody wants it.

Everybody loves it.

Fulfillls all the fantasies.

Wanna ride it all the time.

Others can't stop talking about it.

Can't keep it at home as it's getting something fixed.

BUT.......... if you want to keep it............ You better have money.

:mo money::mo money::mo money::mo money::mo money:

Never owned one, but I'm still struggling with drooling issues over the 1600 model.

I hear pretty much the same song from most the BMW owners I meet.

They say it's like having a trophy wife.

Everybody wants it.

Everybody loves it.

Fulfillls all the fantasies.

Wanna ride it all the time.

Others can't stop talking about it.

Can't keep it at home as it's getting something fixed.

BUT.......... if you want to keep it............ You better have money.

:mo money::mo money::mo money::mo money::mo money:

:whistling::rotf::rotf:

OK, that got me. I had tears running down my face :rotf:It was the "everybody wants to ride it" that was my undoing

I had a Gold 2000 K1200 LT. Very comfy on the hwy. Sucked around town. They are very top heavy so slow turns can easily turn into a bike nap. On the K1200LT forum there were two types of owners, those who's bikes had taken a nap, and those who would eventually.

The forum guys on the K1200LT forum were pretty nice and helpful. Less of them were on meds than on here..:rotf:

Here is a link to the Frequently asked questions about the bike:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?faq=bmwlt_net_faq#faq_k1200lt_faq

They are more expensive. My 12K check up was $1.00 per CC.. a little over $1200.00 just for a check up and oil change. They do strip the puppy down from all of it's tupperware though. Just changing the oil was a pain in the @$$. But it did ride nice, and i loved playing with the electric windscreen :happy65:

gooing from a friend of mine who did a lot of research, he said the bmw's have a high frequensy of the rear end going out at like 25'000 miles.......but thats from a memory of a long ago conversation

The earlier models including the 2000 did have a high failure rate for the rear drive line. Mine didn't, but many did. I forgot about that....

I would have an issue with someone wanting to trade a BMW touring bike, for a Harley Sportster. Just doesn't really jive well with me, I know BMW's are an expensive bike to fix, and they are over engineered. They can be great, except when they break and you have to take them to a dealer. I dont know that I would be chasing after that, just my opinion...

:2cents:

I also am enamored with the BMW and especially that model. Some of what was previously said steered me away.

Top heavy and hard to deal with at slow speeds

Rear end and ABS issues

Fewer dealers

Parts are NOT cheap.

But make no mistake, its a beautiful machine...

Like Squidley said,..something odd about trading a touring BMW for a HD sportster. That alone would raise a red flag for me, but that's me. ( and Squid)

Thanks for all the info makes me kind of wonder my self now. I did talk to the guy on phone and he said he bought it about a year ago to travel on the freeway for work long distance to save gas. He no longer has a long commute and just wants something for tooling around town.

He said bike was in superb condition and I was welcome to come and take it for the day and ride it all I want. So who knows maybe I'll try it out this weekend.

But thanks for all the information.

Joe

My buddy has one and loves it but the riding position sucks big time IMHO. But my bad knees won't allow me to sit like that.

Another friend just bought the 1600 cc, 6 cyl. version and is already researching new foot peg positions. He has had a GW and is finding the pegs on the BMW too high and he's a bit shorter than me.

My guess is that you will find it a bit cramped after being used to a Star with feet fwd. riding position.