• ABS
    • Non-ABS
    • Fuel Injection
    • Carburators
    • CB
    • Bluetooth
    • Built-in GPS
    • Built-in Satellite radio
    • Futuristic styling (such as like the Victory)
    • "Classic" styling (like Venture - either Gen)

I only marked FI and Bluetooth on this poll. While GPS is nice the units much of the time installed by dealer are overpriced IMOP. Nice to have the option. ABS is a nice option also, but not mandatory in my book (although if I had option would buy). Cruise is a must have on touring bike.

I made the two polls multiple choice since everyone has their own preferences. I'm not familiar with riding a fixed fairing so I didn't choose between the two for example.

Figure storage is a given... agree cruise is a "must have"

Thanks for sharing the link. I wound up reading the whole thread and I have never owned a Wing (rode one though). That guy is a genius.

Glad to post that. I ran across that a while back when I was researching LD rider mods to their bikes.

I didn't realize until after I posted the link that it started on page 3. But this guy "Z" is the king in my book for ceative and skills in the same package.

One guy that lives by the rule "Don't overdrive your headlights." The IR driving lights and the IR display screen just toasted my brain all together. He's reaching out about as far as you can.

it's all :mo money::mo money::mo money::mo money::mo money:

To add, on my touring bikes I like shaft drive, over drive trannies, multiple places to move feet to (rider included) - I LOVE forward boards but also have to have traditional footpegs cause at times its nice (and more control) to stand up, cat eyes on the mirrors..

A long time ago I discovered this highly reflective tape (like you see road workers wearing) and used it alot for snowmobiling safety.. I have often wondered why bike manufacturers dont incorporate the stuff on thier bike builds ,, even a couple small strips on the sides of the bikes would be great - incorporated right into the paint job would be outstanding..

Some of you who are?

That's another chapter in the book "What do you call Affordable". :stirthepot:

If I got 100,000 Miles out of a touring bike that I bought for $3,200 ('84 MK1 Venture Std)How many miles would I have to go on a new Goldwing that I had to pay $20,000 for to make that investment EQUALLY affordable?:confused07:

That's another chapter in the book "What do you call Affordable". :stirthepot:

I call affordable the most bike I can get for my budget. I Venture to say everyone when choosing a bike leaves some of their desires on the table. There is always something new or shiny or a little more plush that shows up on the newer models. I personally like to find a used bike someone else has added all the goodies to and is now selling to buy the newest thing. Not that I don't desire the newest tech but I just thrive on getting the Big Deal:big-grin-emoticon:

Some of you who are?

If I got 100,000 Miles out of a touring bike that I bought for $3,200 ('84 MK1 Venture Std)How many miles would I have to go on a new Goldwing that I had to pay $20,000 for to make that investment EQUALLY affordable?:confused07:

Thats a really good question Gilli. I KNOW there are some folks that find enjoyment and fulfillment out of owning a new bike, will put thousands of dollars in it, actually dont mind the instant depreciation of buying new and than ride it very little - although their world is totally different than mine I certainly dont wrong them for it.. I like the trickle down.

I personally think differently. I like to find those hidden jewels out there, pay cash for a good ol venture (have yet to pay over a grand for one) and than see how many miles I can squeek out of them (on my fifth one and have squeezed over 200k on three of those).. I have never had one of these ol 1st gens leave me stranded but I have always said that part of the privilage of owning old is that if it did I would just give it away, take a bus home or buy something to putt home on and start from scratch.. You just cant do that on bike that you owe 20 grand on, at least I cant.

Now if I were wealthy , tell you what I would do just for the fun of it.. I would buy a Harley CVO Ultra CLassic brand new, get the extented warranty on it (unlimited miles for 7 years). I would than begin a 7 year bike journey that HD would never forget. I would LOVE to see if I could do the million miles on one bike thing, record accumulated time in shop for those miles and over all test this mighty HD (hog owners group) warranty that I have heard so much about to the limit..

Puc

Some of you who are?

625,000 miles

Be it a Yamaha, or, a Honda Touring bike...

I shop for the biggest bang for my buck..........Period............

Goldwings have lost out, Hands down, because of their marketing strategy of charging extra for floor boards, CB's etc...

Wake up Honda! A touring bike should have floorboards and a CB as standard...

A far as Harleys go, unless and until they go to water cooled, I will never buy one, and I, am the most patriotic SB you'll ever see... I buy my gas exlusively from BP because they don't use one drop of Middle Eastern oil...

Rant off...

Yamaha, use to make the greatest touring bike, barr non... IMHO

A far as Harleys go, unless and until they go to water cooled,

It would not surprise me if they do on their next major overhaul of the EG and RG

Yamaha, use to make the greatest touring bike, barr non... IMHO

Ya, and then Honda came out with the 1500 6cyl Wing.

Before that, the Venture was but nobody knew it as Honda pushed the Wing, Kawasaki pushed the Voyager and Suzuki pushed the Cavalcade while Yamaha said "oh look, we have one too" LOL