IGNORED

The Scary Jeep

Squidley

Way your talking Brad sounds like the steering stabilizer shock is worn out allow it to wonder all over the road hope its just the stabilizer shock that's a simple fix let us know you made it home

Old VW's were famous for those going out.

We are alive I tell you ALIVE!!!

I'll be damned buy Scary Jeep did it :banana: Got us all the way home with no issues at all. Now I have to say that I wasn't sure we were going to make it at 1st. A little heart to heart with Scary Jeep, and training myself to have a better touch and we made it through all of it.

Now there were some interesting spots, Nashville sucked, and Memphis wasn't a lot better, but we didn't take anyone or ourselves out. Had a couple of butt pucker moments, but they came out ok. A wicked storm 100 miles East of Memphis did us in last night and we just stopped and got a room.

I was fairly impressed with the mileage, I consistently got in the low 20's and the worst was 17.5 in a strong headwind going through the East side of Arkansas East of Little Rock. I did manage to use 7 gallons of oil in Scary Jeep, yes I said 7 gallons. We would stop about every 200 miles for fuel and I would pour an entire jug in it as it was barely registering on the dipstick. Start over and do it again :sign20:

I have to say, but I'm probably going to rehabilitate Scary Jeep. It's not a whole lot different than me. It's not pretty, kinda rough around the edges, has a bit of a gas issue and is old, but it's got a lions heart and got the job done no matter what it took, so I can definitely relate to it :)

It was great seeing everyone again, even if it was just for 20 hours. Lonna and I love y'all and had a great time breaking bread and being with y'all. Thanks again Freebird for turning you place into a flop house for 5 days....we love ya bro! :thumbsup2:

You and Lonna just keep us up on your journey so we know you make it home in one piece.

Margaret[/color]

Personally, it brought back memories to see that Jeep.... you needed a little touch up paint. We're all praying you made it to TX safe & sound!:lightbulb:

Way your talking Brad sounds like the steering stabilizer shock is worn out allow it to wonder all over the road hope its just the stabilizer shock that's a simple fix let us know you made it home

Old VW's were famous for those going out.

We are alive I tell you ALIVE!!!

I'll be damned buy Scary Jeep did it :banana: Got us all the way home with no issues at all. Now I have to say that I wasn't sure we were going to make it at 1st. A little heart to heart with Scary Jeep, and training myself to have a better touch and we made it through all of it.

Now there were some interesting spots, Nashville sucked, and Memphis wasn't a lot better, but we didn't take anyone or ourselves out. Had a couple of butt pucker moments, but they came out ok. A wicked storm 100 miles East of Memphis did us in last night and we just stopped and got a room.

I was fairly impressed with the mileage, I consistently got in the low 20's and the worst was 17.5 in a strong headwind going through the East side of Arkansas East of Little Rock. I did manage to use 7 gallons of oil in Scary Jeep, yes I said 7 gallons. We would stop about every 200 miles for fuel and I would pour an entire jug in it as it was barely registering on the dipstick. Start over and do it again :sign20:

I have to say, but I'm probably going to rehabilitate Scary Jeep. It's not a whole lot different than me. It's not pretty, kinda rough around the edges, has a bit of a gas issue and is old, but it's got a lions heart and got the job done no matter what it took, so I can definitely relate to it :)

It was great seeing everyone again, even if it was just for 20 hours. Lonna and I love y'all and had a great time breaking bread and being with y'all. Thanks again Freebird for turning you place into a flop house for 5 days....we love ya bro! :thumbsup2:

a lot of duct tape and seafoam should do the trick oh add a little bit of bialing wire to it also and she will be good as new till the duct tape falls off :whistling::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf: glad you made it home safe

I did manage to use 7 gallons of oil in Scary Jeep, yes I said 7 gallons. We would stop about every 200 miles for fuel and I would pour an entire jug in it as it was barely registering on the dipstick. Start over and do it again

:sign20:

So it's self dependant and gives itself it's own oil changes too, eh?

Nice idea, but may I suggest that you park that, and go out to buy a better, newer one?

Probably be a whole lot cheaper, better, and save yourself a bucket full of time,,, unless there are sentimental reasons. To get rid of any problems you would have to go right back to the frame on this thing, do all the bearings, body, wiring, and gauges, and even then if it sees any salt it will be gone in a jiffy.

Glad you guys made it home safe and sound,,, God Bless ya.

Nice idea, but may I suggest that you park that, and go out to buy a better, newer one?

Probably be a whole lot cheaper, better, and save yourself a bucket full of time,,, unless there are sentimental reasons. To get rid of any problems you would have to go right back to the frame on this thing, do all the bearings, body, wiring, and gauges, and even then if it sees any salt it will be gone in a jiffy.

Glad you guys made it home safe and sound,,, God Bless ya.

+1

I probably shouldnt comment on this, but seeing it's your son we're talking about I feel I must.

Junk it.

The newer ones are designed to be safer.

My younger brother was killed in one... seems they like to roll when doing a sharp turn on asphault.

A guy cut in front of him and the jeep rolled when he swerved to avoid a head on collision.

They have to short and narrow of a wheel base...

Enough said.

Edited by CaptainJoe

Only a CJ5 has the wheelbase short enuff to cause it to roll over unexpectedly. I have owned and driven an "old" 79 CJ7, when it does give you a bit of a reminder about what you're in, it has enough grace to come out of it alright.

Sorry your brother died in the rollover, but driving ability is the utmost when owning one of these......

I stand corrected.. It was a CJ5...

The placards on the dash... starting in 84... state all you need to know about these vehicles.

It states... these vehicles are prone to roll over in sharp right had turns.(or something simular)

They are there in large part due to my Mom and Dad.

John died in 79.

Jeff Green (friend of mine)told me the earlier jeeps could be fliped over by placing in 4 wheel drive, turning the steering to either side and hitting the gas

Driving ability has nothing to do with it...

Do as you please, but i would rather be on a bike, than a jeep, anyday.

I did manage to use 7 gallons of oil in Scary Jeep, yes I said 7 gallons. We would stop about every 200 miles for fuel and I would pour an entire jug in it as it was barely registering on the dipstick. Start over and do it again

:sign20:

That vehicle's good for the economy......if nothing else! :)

Thanks for the input fellas, I appreciate all of it. Unfortunately the Jeep is my only cage now, the step son has my truck. I can fix the leaks, thats just gaskets and a little wrenching. I would love to get a newer vehicle, but if and when I do, it will be for Lonna. I'll do a bit of fixing and Scary Jeep should be ok. It's paid off, doesn't need emissions testing here in the Houston area due to it's age, and pretty easy to work on.

It runs good, and when I get my truck back, it will be nice to have an additional vehicle here if folks want to come down and need something to use. Thanks again for all the little prayers and following the adventures of "Scary Jeep" :)

i had a cj5 with a 304 4v sucked fuel like mad. prob would have been cheaper to rent a car and have it fixed where it was at. if you want to make it scarier. put a trailer on that was my biggest mistake... wow. but you probably had to make alot of pit stops on the way for bouncing it out of ya.

What grade of oil did you use to burn 7 gallons ?

Brad

It doesn't seem to burn it Brad, it leaks it that bad. I have to figure out where it's coming from, I believe it's mainly from the valve cover gasket.

you probably had to make alot of pit stops on the way for bouncing it out of ya.

Surprisingly it didn't kill us with the bouncing, the interstates were in pretty good shape. By the time we did 200 miles I was ready to get fuel, oil and stretch a bit. So it worked out ok for us.