IGNORED

New clutch upgrade install at Freebird's MD

I want to say another formal thank you to Earl, Skydoc_17 who was so very patient with me as he was guiding me thru the process of taking out my old clutch plates and then installing the new plates and spring.

Wow I can't believe I did something like that. With his help I knew I could do it, but I was still very nervous. I'm not mechanically inclined and when I try something for the first time if there is a choice I will always do it or put it together wrong. Fortunately Earl was paying attention and caught me each time, and didn't make me feel like a dummy.

Joe, EasyRider, was also very helpful by rushing out to Walmart and picked up supplies for us to complete the job. Thank you again.

Let me tell you about this clutch upgrade. I do not believe that this is the same bike. When I start off in first gear there is so much power I get jerked back and my front tire wants to lift off the ground with the power that it has. From new, I never had this much power.

There was a good number of people watching the install, and Earl did a great job explaining the steps to everyone. I have to say after doing this install, it really wasn't that hard. I don't want to sound cocky by saying that, as I had and needed help and guidance.

This is the purpose of Don's Maintenance Day and I am so glad that I made a point to get there and participate and learn more about my bike.

I guess I was getting use to the way it was riding before and didn't think it was too bad of a slip, but WOW the ride home was amazing. Towing my trailer, there was so much power in all my gears now without any hesitation.

As far as the clutch squeeze, I only noticed it being a little more firmer starting from a stopped position and putting it in first gear and letting it out. All the other gears I couldn't tell that it was any firmer to squeeze in the clutch handle. But again, DOES it ever take off now in first gear. I can't wait to get me wife on and hear her reaction.

Earl, thank you again, and if anyone thinks they are due for a clutch repair (upgrade) don't hesitate. You will be very impressed.

A very thankful and appreciative member here.

Thank you

Dave

I also did this up grade , PCW , I did notice the clutch grabbing much better , but it does not start to grab till I have the clutch handle almost all the way out !! Is this normal ???

Yes, if you did the inner plate/spring mod (where you remove the innermost half spring and halg plate and replace it with a full clutch plate). If you go back to the standard arrangement, the friction point will move back to the center of the clutch lever throw.

It will also give you the original larger friction zone.

However, you will lose the 7% additional friction contact that was added with the mod.

I believe the stiffer spring provides a vast majority of the clutch performance upgrade while the inner disk replacement is a minor contributor. However, it is all good.

I went with the Barnett upgrade and reverted to the 1/2 and 1/2 inner disc. Like it. SkyDoc's solution is a good one also (and quite a bit less expensive).

RR

Two questions:

Any of my florida brethren change the clutch plates and springs? I want to ask for someone to guide me / babysit me through this ordeal when the time comes and is there a specific amount of torque pounds that NEED to be applied or tighten by hand strongly? Does the crank case cover have torque ponds that vary? Just curious...

Two questions:

Any of my florida brethren change the clutch plates and springs? I want to ask for someone to guide me / babysit me through this ordeal when the time comes and is there a specific amount of torque pounds that NEED to be applied or tighten by hand strongly? Does the crank case cover have torque ponds that vary? Just curious...

The spring bolts have torque measures in inch-pounds. Don't use a ft-lb wrench to measure in-lbs. Don't ask me how I know.

RR

I also did this up grade , PCW , I did notice the clutch grabbing much better , but it does not start to grab till I have the clutch handle almost all the way out !! Is this normal ???

I have the PCW from three years ago and it does settle in with no problem.

:farmer:

Guest Swifty
Fortunately Earl was paying attention and caught me each time, and didn't make me feel like a dummy.

Dave

...don't forget the guy who walked by to make sure you felt like a dummy when it came to torquing the bolts!

:whistling:

Dave, believe it or not, I felt that the same way you did a mere 7 years ago. Pretty soon you'll be changing engines in your living room, and thinking you can beat VRs in a drag race. We all knew you would feel like this after you did that job. Ride on, Buddy, ride on hard.

...don't forget the guy who walked by to make sure you felt like a dummy when it came to torquing the bolts!

:whistling:

Dave, believe it or not, I felt that the same way you did a mere 7 years ago. Pretty soon you'll be changing engines in your living room, and thinking you can beat VRs in a drag race. We all knew you would feel like this after you did that job. Ride on, Buddy, ride on hard.

Thanks Dave, but I still need help in many ways......

Thanks Dave, but I still need help in many ways......

And that's what we are all here for. To help each other.

If it makes you feel even better I have been a Mechanic for 40 years, am very technically inclined and have been since being a small kid. Yet I never fail to leave MD having learned a few new tricks and acquiring some new and very useful knowledge. :thumbsup2:

Lets see....this year I learned about apple pie and Wild Sex.....very useful!:whistling:

You forgot about.....how to install driving lights & then how to customize them. Also how to topple a 1st Gen. with 2 liquor bottles in 1 saddle bag and not spill a drop. You were able to observe field-craft which in the future will leave you in good stead should you ever need to erect a tent without poles. (Apparently a motorcycle of some sort is required, I'm not positive if only a 1st Gen. will suffice.) These are all very important life's lessons if you want to make it in the big top with the rest of the Venture Clowns!

Guest Swifty
Relic, call me soon before I forget what I did. :confused24:

...OHHHH, THAT's the kind of help you're referring to. I didn't know you were at THAT stage already. Well, I'm sure Relic and I can help you out with that too!