IGNORED

Bestem Trunk Rack Bag from Custom Backrest

Guest Robbbb

I bought a Bestem trunk rack bag from Custom Backrest and it doesn't appear to attach to the rack well. It is supposedly specifically for the RSV trunck rack. It uses velcro straps - I haven't used it yet, but it seems at highway speeds the wind would pull it off.

Has anyone had experience with this?

http://cruiserbackrest.com/images/yamaha_venture_rack_bag.jpg

I'm getting prepared for a little trip and am a bit concerned.

Thanks, all.

Robert, I've got the same one and like you was concerned about losing the bag while traveling. I used some bungie cords to secure it the first couple of times I had it on. Since then I've made up a set of web straps and quick disconnect buckles and that is so much better. I run one strap length wise and two near the ends around the bag. I also weave the web straps thru the rack to help keep them in place. One end of the quick disconnects alow for cinching the webbing snug after hooking them together.

There may be some better ways to secure the bag or whatever but this method does make for a very secure set up. I have also used the webbed bungie nets before too. Normaly for say a jacket on top of the bag.

Larry

Try using a bungee net after you attach with the velcro. Not only will it hold it in place, but you have somewhere to roll up and put your jacket. Also, we have used the net to bring home shopping purchases.

Another idea, use the bungess with the balls that are used with Tarps. There are many configurations to use these, especiallly if there are some attachment points on the bag.

I have a Kuryachan bag, though I can't find it on their web site anymore. It has shock cords with rubberized hooks coming from the bottom that attach over the luggage rack. First time I used it I thought it too would come off, however it doesn't even move.

All in all I think the Velcro will hold alot more than you think.

Robert, I've got the same one and like you was concerned about losing the bag while traveling. I used some bungie cords to secure it the first couple of times I had it on. Since then I've made up a set of web straps and quick disconnect buckles and that is so much better. I run one strap length wise and two near the ends around the bag. I also weave the web straps thru the rack to help keep them in place. One end of the quick disconnects alow for cinching the webbing snug after hooking them together.

So it is what it is? The attraction of this bag was being able to attach it with the velcro and not need bungees. Had I known, I probably would have bought another bag. Bummer. :cry:

Has anyone used it solely with velcro with success?

Yes, I use mine all the time with just the velcro. I put all my shoes and misc. things that I want quick access to. Never had a problem with it staying.

I was surprised to hear others used bungies, It never occured to me that I would need them.

So it is what it is? The attraction of this bag was being able to attach it with the velcro and not need bungees. Had I known, I probably would have bought another bag. Bummer. :cry:

Has anyone used it solely with velcro with success?

I agree there that I may have had second thoughts of getting mine had I also known of this problem. I have used it without any bungies as well and just kept an eye on it . Even then I had to keep readusting the velcro straps. That's when I decided to add the net and on later uses I added the webbed straps. It's good now but shouldn't have been required I think.

Personally I think that the bag is made for something else and the company advertises it to fit the Venture's rack because they figure it's close enough. :no-no-no:

Larry

Yes, I use mine all the time with just the velcro. I put all my shoes and misc. things that I want quick access to. Never had a problem with it staying.

I was surprised to hear others used bungies, It never occured to me that I would need them.

I put mine on all the time with just the velcro and never have lost it yet. The cord is just added security.

Joe star4772 :)

There must be a lot less wind trying to pull things off that trunk rack than I thought there was, at least with a tall & wide body up front. I carry a fairly large, soft-sided satchel to work every day. It won't fit the side bags, so I put it in the trunk. One morning I set it on the trunk rack then went about my usual pre-ride routine. Hopped on the bike and rode 30+ miles to work (mostly highway speeds). Got off the scoot and went back to get my bag out of the trunk. I almost fell over when I saw it still on the rack, unsecured. I don't think it had moved an inch. It scared me into double checking the trunk for a long time afterword and at the same time it made me feel better about running with stuff secured to the rack.

That is a replica of the Kuryakyn bag that I have almost to a T. The front of my bag attaches with Velcro and the rear has a buckle. You have nothing to worry about, mine stays exactly where I put it, it's not going to fly off. Just be sure when you attach the velcro that engage as much of it around the rack tube as you can. I have driven 90 mph with one of these on the back and it didn't go anywhere :happy34:

Yes, we have one that is very similar and was concerned about it coming off. We have now used it on some pretty long trips at Interstate speed. The only additional precaution we took is using some webbing and quick connect buckles that go around the handle on the bag and the raised portion of the luggage rack right behind the passenger backrest. Doubt we need that but its a quick and easy safeguard. Nothing moves back there.

Anyone have any photos of the interior of the trunk bag ? Or are they just plain bare inside ? I'm considering on making some as well as some trunk liners .

A while back before the crash , I was discussing with another member about making trunk bags for those whom do not have trunk racks ( that was before I got myself a rack ). Making the bottom of the bag out of neoprene . Neoprene being soft and not scratching the paint as well as it's gripping action along with quick disconnect buckles to secure the bag onto the trunk .

Now that I have a trunk rack and the thoughts of making them , I will be ordering some 2.5-3mm (thickness) to use as a waterproof liner , covered with 1000 denier cordura . Only weakness will be around the zippers , but a velcroed covered flap should keep 95% of rainwater out . Also having mesh pockets on the exterior for quick placement of items that need to get to fast or to place trash within .

Any info. would be helpful , as I have not yet had the opportunity to see one hands on .

Gene

Beer that was me who was talking with you about the bags. Although I have a BestEm bag I might well be interested in getting one of yours when you finalize the bag. You do have some great ideas there with your construction method.

I'll be keeping an eye open on this thread (or new one) for when you do get something made up.

Larry

I bought my trunk rack bag from a year ago. The velco is so hard to undo that I can not imagine it being ripped off in the wind. I put over 1000 miles of wind against it so far and it has held in place no problems. Besides, you and your passenger should block most of the wind.

Guest BluesLover

I use a Kuryakin bag that looks just like that one. It has a waterproof liner (tucks in a pocket when you don't need it), attaches with the Velcro to the front of the trunk rack and then has a stretch bungee-type set-up with hooks that you can use on the side of the trunk rack (it's likely the same set-up that Brad has).

For longer trips, I throw a $1 cargo net over top of it - not only does it make it more secure, it also gives you some quick extra storage for jackets, sweaters, etc. Never even came close to losing it. (Picture below should give you some idea).

I don't have the Venture rack though ... I'm using the Gold Wing rack on my bike.

Cheers,

I've got the Bestem trunk rack bag (bought off eBay) that is an exact replica of the Yamaha bag, that looks like this:

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelscitemdetail/5/4/83/406/2007/1/210/0/0/detail.aspx

---------

It attaches with velcro flaps on each side, and 2 velcro straps on the rear of the bag. I've always used it with just the velcro holding it on, it has never budged. There isn't much, if any, wind back there. In fact, I think there is a little swirl that actually blows forward. Anyhow, just Vecro straps for many thousands of miles, and it has never come loose, always just as tight as when I put it on. And I load it up.

I have the Yamaha bag after 13,500km on our last trip not once was it loose.

It is one off the most useful item we have purchased. For more protection I added a velcro strap to the handle and it twists on the front of the rack. Call it over kill!

• 1 year later...

I had a Bestem trunk bag and returned it with no problem since the logo was on upside down. Purchased the Star bag, which is the same thing with the star logo instead of the eagle. Both bags secure with very wide Velcro strips and are super stable.

I have the Yamaha bag after 13,500km on our last trip not once was it loose.

It is one off the most useful item we have purchased. For more protection I added a velcro strap to the handle and it twists on the front of the rack. Call it over kill!

I did the same thing. I has been on my bike for almost every ride. 35,000 miles and has never budged

I have the Kuryakyn bag and found that the Velcro didn't line up to fit the rack snug enough so I had the local shoe repair guy put some strips of velcro in the places that were better suited........that bag is not going anywhere !

Keith

It attaches with velcro flaps on each side, and 2 velcro straps on the rear of the bag. I've always used it with just the velcro holding it on, it has never budged. There isn't much, if any, wind back there. In fact, I think there is a little swirl that actually blows forward. Anyhow, just Vecro straps for many thousands of miles, and it has never come loose, always just as tight as when I put it on. And I load it up.

This is not quite correct - the proper mounting of this bag is with the wide flat Velcro strips in the front, not the rear. I would prefer they were on the other side, as I do think it looks best and fits better mounted backward, but that is not the way it is made.

And to make my comments short and sweet - this bag will NOT come off! That Velcro is some mean stuff, and after I have made sure it is stuck on good, I find it VERY difficult to even pull the Velcro loose with my fingers. The bag design is a little funky, but it is functional and secure. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose