IGNORED

Follow up- stuck engine!

Godlover

If you can put off tearing into the bike for a few days, I am driving down to MO for Wrong Ways wedding. I can swing by your place on Friday, May 3 and drop off my borescope for your to inspect the cylinder. Would pick it up on my way back Sunday.

If this would help, you are more than welcome to us it.

:15_8_211[1]:

If you can put off tearing into the bike for a few days, I am driving down to MO for Wrong Ways wedding. I can swing by your place on Friday, May 3 and drop off my borescope for your to inspect the cylinder. Would pick it up on my way back Sunday.

If this would help, you are more than welcome to us it.

:15_8_211[1]:

Thanks for the offer! I have a guy in my church who is a f16 mechanic and he he bringing me one in the morning!

Definitely figure out why the valve is hanging before you try to turn it over with the starter.

It could be crud or gum causing it to stick, could be a chunk of carbon holding it open, or a bad spring, or a few other things I am not thinking of right now. You might be able to remove the exhaust pipe an see some thing or get some cleaner right on it.

Did a scope and came to the conclusion that the exhaust valve isn't quite closing completely. The piston hits the exhaust valve on both intake and exhaust stroke. Might be carbon or something else.

If your having a valve issue that you can see, I would pull the head off and go through them. Even if you have to redo the valves, it's easier than hoping that it will work itself out. I dont know any way of cleaning valves from the inside the motor.

If your having a valve issue that you can see, I would pull the head off and go through them. Even if you have to redo the valves, it's easier than hoping that it will work itself out. I dont know any way of cleaning valves from the inside the motor.

:sign yeah that:consider that valve to be bent and to replace it. Then reshim

I am going to pull the valve cover off this week and see if I see anything. When I turn it over by hand I can hear the piston hit as it comes to a dead stop. I assume I will need to pull the motor to remove the head. This is turning into quite an ordeal!

I am going to pull the valve cover off this week and see if I see anything. When I turn it over by hand I can hear the piston hit as it comes to a dead stop. I assume I will need to pull the motor to remove the head. This is turning into quite an ordeal!

I dont think you'll have to pull the motor to get the heads off. I may be mistaken, but you'll damn near pull everything else off on the top. I think your making the right call on taking the heads off. If you believe your going to keep the bike for the long haul I would just have both heads redone and have that piece of mind....

:2cents:

Pulling the motor isn't too big a deal. Now would be a good time to upgrade the valve springs and I think Vmax cams?? Heads ported?? Have a sleeper on your hands:whistling: if my original motor was rebuildable that's what I would have done to it

Rebuilding heads and stuff isn't something I am comfortable doing. I don't have a clue who could rebuild them or what the cost will be. If it is just a broken valve spring I will give it a shot. Any thoughts on expense for all this stuff. I might be best buying one of the engines off EBay and not have to worry about tearing things apart. Thanks for the suggestions.

If you do find it's just a broken/maimed valve spring and go about replacing it, note that the spring(s) in question are very strong and you need to either buy/borrow or craft up a tool to keep the spring(s) compressed while you install the keeper (the small thing around the end of the valve stem that keeps the springs compressed and the valve shut).

Do not be fooled into thinking that you can do it by hand or with a screwdriver or something similar -- if your improvised tool skips and hits something else around the valve well, you may need a new cylinder head. If, on the other hand, it gives way and snaps, the spring(s) and other small metal parts may jump out with great force and stop in your eyes, head or fingers.

I don't mean to scare you off (I'm a DIYer myself), just make sure you understand what the risky parts are :)

I did mention earlier about pulling the oil pan. It comes out inbetween the frame. I think 8 maybe 10 bolts. I did not even unplug the sensor, I just let it hang. About an hour or less to r&r the pan for inspection. Then you have something to eleminate as a problem. I resealed with rtv sealant.

Bill