IGNORED

Cruise control issues

Hello everyone. New supporting member and I am experiencing issues with my cruise control. I purchased my 2008 RSV S on 11/15/2010 as a new left over with 0.7 miles on it. In late November 2011 on my 70 mile ride home from work at 10:00 pm with an air temp of approx. 35F my cruise would not work. Dropped bike off at shop to look at and store for winter. Pick up bike early March 2012. Everything works fine until Oct 30, 2012 again around same time and temp. Cruise won't work. Pick up bike today after dealer "diagnosing" all winter and low and behold on way home from work 30F air temp no cruise. Sorry for the long story. I'm trying to find out if any knows if the electronic cruise control is temperature sensitive?

Thanks for reading and any info that is shared.

Jim (wanaberidin) Joseph

I'm not real familiar with cruise issue (lucky for me I guess). But it sounds as though it is something tempature related is maybe causing a "bind" or hard spot for the servo to pull the throttle. Perhaps the cable lube used is not "liquid" enough at those temps. From what I have heard and looking at mine there must be like 20 ft of cable on this thing. Down the right handlebar, across to the left side servo motor, then a cable from there up the neck back to the carbs. Maybe the cables have not even been lubed? I'm thinking my 09 needs this done pretty soon but dont know how I'm going to tackle it. Guess I need one of them little tools first.

I don't think anything's really temperature sensitive, although I have found moisture between the pump and actuator (located in the lower right & Left covers respectively) in the vacuum hose. My bike's a 99 and the cruise didn't work when I bought it. Did quite a bit of investigation to find it was just an adjustment issue. I was surprised how much water was in that particular vacuum line and don't know if it would actually condense in there by itself or what but if it does then it could freeze at those temps.

Creole

A 2008 should still be under warranty, 5 years unlimited mileage regardless if you are the original owner or not...

The reason I mention this is if your dealer is giving you a runaround about the problem, go to a better dealer! Obviously the problem was not there when the bike was new. You should not havfe to do a single thing yourself to the bike, and if your dealer does not give you satisfaction then complain to Mother Yamaha...

A 2008 should still be under warranty, 5 years unlimited mileage regardless if you are the original owner or not...

The reason I mention this is if your dealer is giving you a runaround about the problem, go to a better dealer! Obviously the problem was not there when the bike was new. You should not havfe to do a single thing yourself to the bike, and if your dealer does not give you satisfaction then complain to Mother Yamaha...

I am the original owner and the dealer has serviced it under warranty twice now. I'm just looking to find out if anyone has any knowledge of any known temperature related issues.

? Is it coming on and not wanting to stay on, do the set lights blink, does it indicate it's on and just not set? The lights should blink if it has a problem, if not check the throttle cable and see if it's loose.

It won't come on until you are at about 40mph and in 4th or 5th gear. the cruise light should be on and when you set that light should be on also. If the set and res flash it is a dealer issue.

I rode to work today and it was 28f out, didn't use it but I have when it's cold and never an issue.

the dealer has serviced it under warranty twice now.
BINGO!!! Time to find a new dealer!! This is the first time I have ever heard of any temperature related cruise control issues but I also do not to claim to be God or the worlds foremost authority either. Not to bash your dealer but if they are incapable of fixing it find a dealer that is!! You do NOT have to take it to the original dealer, and if another dealer says they will not fix it because you did not buy from them then report them to Yamaha, and warn us to steer clear of them!!!

? Is it coming on and not wanting to stay on, do the set lights blink, does it indicate it's on and just not set? The lights should blink if it has a problem, if not check the throttle cable and see if it's loose.

It won't come on until you are at about 40mph and in 4th or 5th gear. the cruise light should be on and when you set that light should be on also. If the set and res flash it is a dealer issue.

I rode to work today and it was 28f out, didn't use it but I have when it's cold and never an issue.

Cruise turns on and green ON light lit on dash, indicated speed of 75mph, depress and hold for 2-3 seconds SET button while holding throttle constant, green SET light lit on dash along with ON light. Take right hand off throttle, speed decreases to 65 than starts building for a couple of seconds than green SET light goes off and amber RES lit.

could be several thing from this description

When the speed clibs again to your setpoint, does it seem to hold at all?

Falling off speed and going to resume says the controller is getting an input to send it that way. A brake switch, clutch switch, handlebar switch or if you inadvertantly turn the throttle to the close direction will all kick the cruse to this mode.

Have them check the switches on clutch and both brakes as well as the levers here to make sure they aren't wiggling any and causing one of these switches to operate.

the cancel switch would be less likely to do this since that plastic switch is very light. But if you hit it or the throttle it couls also cause this issue too.

After all of that, if you hit resume while the resume light is on, does your bike pick up speed again?

could be several thing from this description

When the speed clibs again to your setpoint, does it seem to hold at all?

Falling off speed and going to resume says the controller is getting an input to send it that way. A brake switch, clutch switch, handlebar switch or if you inadvertantly turn the throttle to the close direction will all kick the cruse to this mode.

Have them check the switches on clutch and both brakes as well as the levers here to make sure they aren't wiggling any and causing one of these switches to operate.

the cancel switch would be less likely to do this since that plastic switch is very light. But if you hit it or the throttle it couls also cause this issue too.

After all of that, if you hit resume while the resume light is on, does your bike pick up speed again?

Bike starts climbing , never reaches set point and then just stops climbing and starts decel. Hitting resume results in the same as hitting set. Going to drop bike off on Thursday. Hopefully dealer can get this figured out because I wanaberidin!!

Sounds to me like it is getting one of those inputs to take it off cruise.

Dirty or faulty switch somewhere.

I hate chasing electrical gremlins like that

So do I, that is why the dealer is going spend the time/$ to chase and fix for me. Gotta love that 5 year warranty!

:cool10:

I bought a 2007 Venture this week, and the cruise control won't stay set for long. I'm trying to figure out how to adjust it. But I can't find the actuator and vacuum pump. And don't know how to adjust them. I heard they are under the y lower left and right panels or covers, but can't find them. Anyone know where to find these parts and what to adjust? Thank you!

You need to pull your tank, on the left front, the two throttle cables runs into a black plastic housing almost under your bars. In that box is a cam and spring. Two cables run into the front of the cam, two cables runs back to the carbs and one runs down. Be careful of the spring and placement but pull it open and wipe any debris from the cables, lube them, inspect for proper placement and function and reassemble.

The cable running down is controlling the cruise, if you have different handle bars or the cam has been apart I would inspect to make sure they it is correctly in it's place. If you remove the throttle cables make sure they are in the correct location ( one is a pullback). Should be some threads on changing cables.

Follow your cable down and make sure it is connected at the other end.

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71505&highlight=install+throttle+cables

The cruise will only move the throttle cable a limited amount then it will switch off. That is why it is important for the cables to be properly adjusted. That is also why the cruise will sometimes kick off on a hill. The cruise is not temperature sensitive but moisture in the vacuum line could freeze and block the system. It is tied in to the TPS. But a problem with that will usually set a code.

When your cruise kicks off does the dash indicator switch to yellow? If yes the cruise is still active just no longer engaged. And the problem is probably just adjustment or moisture. If no then there is a probably an electrical issue.

During operation try pushing the set button then the accel button in quick succession. This should cause the cruise to engage immediately. No delay.

Good Luck

Mike

I bought a 2007 Venture this week, and the cruise control won't stay set for long. I'm trying to figure out how to adjust it. But I can't find the actuator and vacuum pump. And don't know how to adjust them. I heard they are under the y lower left and right panels or covers, but can't find them. Anyone know where to find these parts and what to adjust? Thank you!

The actuator is in the Left lower cowl. The cable junction box is on the Left side under the plastic neck cover. CC cable adjustment is done at the actuator.

If you have tassels on your levers they can cause the cruise to kick out while at speed, if this is the case, you need to adjust the screw by the lever pivot to take the free play out of the lever (brake & clutch)

The cruise will only move the throttle cable a limited amount then it will switch off. That is why it is important for the cables to be properly adjusted. That is also why the cruise will sometimes kick off on a hill. The cruise is not temperature sensitive but moisture in the vacuum line could freeze and block the system. It is tied in to the TPS. But a problem with that will usually set a code.

When your cruise kicks off does the dash indicator switch to yellow? If yes the cruise is still active just no longer engaged. And the problem is probably just adjustment or moisture. If no then there is a probably an electrical issue.

During operation try pushing the set button then the accel button in quick succession. This should cause the cruise to engage immediately. No delay.

Good Luck

Mike

Double tapping the set button will set it immediately.

Edited by ragtop69gs

Thanks for the help. I adjusted the Cruise cable free play, and throttle cable free plays, and it is working better. I'm getting used to the Set then Accel Sequence. This Cruise needs some Crew Chiefing to learn how to get in to work. But it still cuts off on decelerate. Like on a downhill, or even you you push the decelerate 2 or 3 times. It handles up hills OK.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the bike back from dealer today. They checked and adjusted any / all cables /sensors and was trying to replace vacuum pump but Yamaha saiid that the symptoms indicated plugged pilot jets. So I got my carbs cleaned under warranty. Cruise worked every time I set it today( about 5 times)! I sure do hope that this solves the problem. I really use the cruise everyday on my 140 mile round trip commute on the highway.

Jim

I was hav'n trouble with mine not engag'n, found the rear brake lite switch to be adjusted a hair to tight,loosen'd a little 'n' now sets 'n' works just fine. mine was not sett'n at all!lites 'n everything was all com'n on , blink'n , but cruise still would not set.

I got the bike back from dealer today. They checked and adjusted any / all cables /sensors and was trying to replace vacuum pump but Yamaha saiid that the symptoms indicated plugged pilot jets. So I got my carbs cleaned under warranty. Cruise worked every time I set it today( about 5 times)! I sure do hope that this solves the problem. I really use the cruise everyday on my 140 mile round trip commute on the highway.

Jim

I seriously doubt that dirty carbs would cause the problem, but let's hope it is fixed. If not, I'd suggest that your problem sounds more like a simple vacuum leak from the cold temps making the rubber hose hard. I have never seen or heard of a temp related problem with the cruise on this bike, so that seems like the most likely possibility with your symptoms. I have ridden many many thousands of miles on my RSV in temps down as low as single digits, regularly using the cruise to allow me to get some warmth to my throttle hand, and it has always worked fine.

Easy and cheap to replace the vacuum hose running between the pump under the right lower cowling to the vacuum actuator under the left lower cowling. And just replacing it will be a whole lot easier than waiting for a cold soak and trying to test it with a vacuum pump when the temps are below freezing! Besides, if it is a vacuum leak at either end of the hose, just taking it off or moving the end could temporarily hide the problem. Good luck,

Goose

Good Luck

Mike

I tighten up the adjustment (made less free play) on the cable connected to the cruise control diaphragm. The cruise works fine on up hill but cuts off on down hills. Maybe I should make a little more free play?:confused24:

If you touch in any way shape or form, the clutch lever, brake leaver, foot break, or turn the throttle other than to increase speed, it will kick off, these levers are very, very senstive, so at 30 degrees and 75 MPH, yea I would be shakeing enough to kick it off.:stirthepot: