IGNORED

Adopted two kids today...not M/C related

Miles

My wife and I adopted two young kids today. A boy that is about 1 year old, and a little girl that we believe is the sister to the little boy, and she too is about 1 year old.

They are the cutest little kids you will ever see. Brought them home today.

:backinmyday:

hmmmm. having been around the adoption world all my life, one doesn't just bring 2 children home like that. I think I know what Miles is refering to, but I'm not telling.

I think the line 'we believe is the sister to the little boy' might be a clue.

Gary

Okay, I told my wife that my compatriot from Buckley would be the first to figure this out. And he was. Good going Brian. I knew you could do this, because...you also have kids.

Yes, Mike, the two wee little ones are goats...as in...kids.

They are both Nigerian Dwarf kids, and are both a pumpkin color, which is very odd for these goats. They are named...Pumpkin and Mango. We are going to call them...

Punkin' Pie and Mango Shake.

We adopted them from the Puget Sound Goat Rescue today. They were found at a slaughterhouse in January, and rescued from the slaughterhouse.

We brought them home today, to live with our other 5 Nigerian Dwarf goats...Petunia, Daisy, Buttercup, Billy the Kid, and the Sundance Kid.

So...Joe and Joe, thank you for the kind wishes, in your assumption that I was nice enough to give a home to two small humans, but alas...our kids are goats.

:rotf::rotf::cool10::rotf::cool10::rotf::cool10::rotf::cool10:

I just googled them, cute little buggers they are. House pets ? :think:

Not HOUSE pets, but they are barnyard pets. We have 2 Llamas...Bert & Ernie, and we have 2 Alpacas...Pancho & Cisco, as well as the already aforementioned Nigerian Dwarf Goats, and...15 hens and 1 Rooster...his name is Sassypants.

They all live the life of luxury in our barnyard and pastures.

Hee Haw !

Miles:

Do you keep them for their milk or cheese? Or are they just pets. I can see you on the floor, on your hands and knees trying to milk one of those! :backinmyday: :whistling:

Jim

Jim, we do not milk any of our little goats, because we have never had them bred. If you dont' breed them, they cannot produce milk. So we don't milk them, and as for the llamas and alpacas, when we do have them shorn (lots of natural wool fiber) we give it all away to a local gal that makes mini hats and booties for preemy babies at a local hospital.

We just enjoy the small farming life. It is not so much of a chore that I can't go riding whenever I want to. If I'm gone riding, my wife can easily care for them. If she is gone riding, I care for them. It is pretty easy to do.

Our Llamas are pretty old...turning 20 years old this month. And the Alpacas are getting old...1 is 14 years old and the other is 9 years old. Heck, we even have our very first chicken, a Rhode Island Red, that is 6 years old this month.

Having lived all over the world, and moving as much as I have (this is my 57th home), I was always on the go too much to have more than a short-term dog or cat. Now that we have settled in to our final home for the rest of our lives, we decided to have ourselves a little farm...but one that does not require a ton of work to maintain. Once the Llamas and Alpacas and Goats are all gone...we will probably continue to have some chickens, as they are very easy to keep.

:farmer:

Miles: I assume your wife takes care of the animals while you are out riding all over the planet?:)

Yes, she does, but again, it is an easy job. I take care of all the animals/pets 99 % of the time that I am home. If I am away...riding...then she does it. I have it all set up so that it is quite easy for her or anyone to do. She still works as a doctor at the state dept. of health, so if I'm gone riding, it only takes her about 12 minutes in the morning, and about 20 miutes at night. That is it.

I'm Curious,

What brought you to the purchase of specific, goat breeds?

On my farm, I need goats to get rid of the brush, that grows on extreemely steep hills.

Good Question. On my farm we have no steep hills, as all of my property is relatively flat, but well treed. I have to go to great extents to cut down trees (which I hate doing, because I like trees) just to have enough open pasture space for the critters.

We choose Nigerian Dwarf goats because of their size, and cuteness. My wife has been around goats for almost 40 years, as her bext friend in Western NY raised and showed goats at the NY state fair, and other shows. But the friends goats were all full sized.

Having attended many large fairs ourselves, and seeing all the breeds of goats, we liked the Nigerian Dwarf goats, even moreso than the Pygmy goats. They are small, stay small, and are very actively running around, head-butting each other, they play as if they are still little kids...which they are.