IGNORED

Opinions on Sturgis

uncledj

So far it seems that the consensus is to avoid it from one week before to one week after the rally.

Different folks have mixed feelings about the Motorhome.

I'd love to make it an extended affair, but I only get one week paid vacation, and I usually go somewhere with the wife for that week.

I'll see what my friends think after reading this thread.

Thanks again everyone for the valuable input.:mytruck1:

In 2011 our family did a ND/SD trip, camping and driving a minivan. No bikes. We stayed in Hill City at Horse Thief campground. We were out there the week before it started, and as the week progressed, Hill City started getting crowded. That's about 45 min away from Sturgis and even there it was getting busy. So if you want to go for the experience of Bike Week, go. But if you want to enjoy the area, see sights, ride w/o crowds, go at another time. Oh, and in 2011 it was a VERY HOT & DRY summer, you might want to do it earlier in the year (June/early July) when it should be cooler.

And yes, they have "special" rates just for Bike Week. :mo money:

-Andrew

Keep the info coming in, we 're going to Sturgis this year and plan on riding out. Could use all the good stuff to see and do along with anything to avoid. We plan on staying at a hotel in Keystone to avoid some of the crowds. My daughter may ride her c50 boulevard and there is at least two Harleys going to. Plan is to go to Yellow stone and start are return trip back to NY from there. What would be the best scenic route for the return ride. Thought maybe a ride though Colorado would be nicer. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks nyjerry

Guest tx2sturgis
We plan on staying at a hotel in Keystone to avoid some of the crowds.

Keystone is very close to Mt Rushmore so its crowded there too. It's a bit less crowded during mid week, but weekends can be quite busy. Still manageable, if you are careful.

Best time to ride the old scenic steam train is early, to beat the crowds. There is also a scenic road, called Nemo Road, connecting with Vanocker (pronounced 'vanicker') Canyon, that avoids the hectic, and fast, traffic on I-90 between Rapid City and Sturgis.

Have fun on your run!

Keystone is very close to Mt Rushmore so its crowded there too. It's a bit less crowded during mid week, but weekends can be quite busy. Still manageable, if you are careful.

Best time to ride the old scenic steam train is early, to beat the crowds. There is also a scenic road, called Nemo Road, connecting with Vanocker (pronounced 'vanicker') Canyon, that avoids the hectic, and fast, traffic on I-90 between Rapid City and Sturgis.

Have fun on your run!

That Vanocker road is a really nice ride with lots of smooth sweepers. We really enjoyed that and rode it a couple of times. :cool10:

I just got back from the hills about an hour ago. Our high school basketball team had the chance to make a weekend road trip (5 1/2 hours one way) to play Custer in basketball. The team got to stay at a campground in an old remodeled and finished barn. They had a blast. I tell you what, there is something about driving through Custer State Park and 10 minutes later sitting in the school gym watching basketball. What a great weekend. We stayed in Deadwood last night, and when we left this morning, we had to go through Sturgis. I was telling the wife how crowded it would be etc. We even drove by the campground where I stay, and I could see that she was kind of getting into it. So I am really excited for next year! It was a great weekend, and the boys happened to win to boot!

Guest tx2sturgis
I just got back from the hills about an hour ago. Our high school basketball team had the chance to make a weekend road trip (5 1/2 hours one way) to play Custer in basketball. The team got to stay at a campground in an old remodeled and finished barn. They had a blast. I tell you what, there is something about driving through Custer State Park and 10 minutes later sitting in the school gym watching basketball. What a great weekend. We stayed in Deadwood last night, and when we left this morning, we had to go through Sturgis. I was telling the wife how crowded it would be etc. We even drove by the campground where I stay, and I could see that she was kind of getting into it. So I am really excited for next year! It was a great weekend, and the boys happened to win to boot!

Cheater!

:moon:

Been to Sturgis during the rally and a couple times in the off season , it is a must see either way . We are trying to make plans this year to ride to the internationalrally , then try for Sturgis , ZZ Top is preforming Aug 4th , would like to see them . Then head home from there .

• 2 months later...

Sorry about jumping in late on this thread but still early for the rally. I have been 6x. Am 61 yrs old. Ridden from Los Angeles and From Denver. Brought the wife - well picked the wife up in Rapid City at the airport so she didn't need to ride the 400 from Denver- That will be the only time she goes :cool10:

As you have read, crowds, heat, traffic. So what? I have gone alone and spent the entire week alone and have met friends and traveled around. I enjoy it. I don't drink- at all. Don't need to drink or smoke to have a great time. The sites are amazing, Devils Tower, don't just ride up to it and take a photo, take a couple of hours and walk around it. Mt. Rushmore is so very interesting to spend a couple of hours learning about. Crazy Horse is an amazing monument to the Chief and his people. Bear Country was a good afternoon and seeing about 50 cubs waking up from a nap is a sight I will never forget. There are many caves - Jewel Cave is the best, IMHO and if you only have time for 1 cave do Jewel. But there are many in the area and all are interesting and on a hot day, they are 60 degrees year round. Main street is for people and bike watching and of course buying Tshirts and Hats etc and the " I rode mine" patch that should be reality. Let the wife drive the RV and you ride the bike.

There are quiet campgrounds like Creekside which is opposite Buffalo Chip. Only $20 per night- concrete bathrooms and showers.- People go camp at Creekside to sleep at night. Glencoe, Buffalo Chip etc are for partying at night.

There is so much more there, just hitting the tip of the iceberg. I enjoy showing friends who are coming for the first time the sights.....hasn't gotten old yet.

You can miss all the crowds for gas, breakfast lunch and dinner by planning - leave early etc etc.

You won't know till you go. Sure the area is spectacular in May June July and September, but honestly I like the activity level of Sturgis week.

Anyone riding up from Los Angeles? pm me.

VentureFar...

1st trip to Sturgis S.D. was in 77, went there 27 more times in a row. Rode there every time but as I got older it was harder and 600 mile days got more tiring. Last time was 08 and yes we motor homed it and loved it. Take the motorhome you will enjoy it more and you can switch up driving when you both get tired and don't let the people who will give you crap make you feel bad.(used to give guys crap myself being young and self important) Enjoy the trip, I always had a great time there and met some long lasting friends, sorry to say most are not with us anymore. Taking lots of pic's is a must. I have all the picture's in a album as a coffee table book. I liked Sturgis a lot more in the 70's then in 2008 because it went so politically correct. But there are great sights and lots of vendors as well as miles of smiles. Just remember you will have more nuts, drunks, fighters, liars, cheats, low life in one place then you will see any ware. BUT there is also some of the most generous, hart warming, honest and noble people in the world and they come from all over. Not only will you contend with traffic but Deer, Elk, Buffalo in the parks just to mention some more wild life. Riding at night can be a challenge but just don't go as fast. You will have a great time and create some lasting memories.

When my kids hit the old age of 13 I took each one there as a trip with Dad each and everyone loved there experience. My son really liked the half naked ladies and we bonded really well. My girls, I had to watch like a hawk cause they to liked the half necked men and being asked to show some body parts (you know what I mean).

They all only went 1 time but it created a fond memory for all. My son loved the black hills so much he moved to Rapid after collage and says he will never move.

Everyone should give it a try at least 1 time. See all you can and bring a bank wad. Went there with just enough to get their buy a T and come home. It was best with a 5K budget. JUST SAYING........Have fun above all....Ron

Been out there twice 2005,2012. We stayed at the Creekside Campground. If you want to sleep at night that is a pretty good place to stay. Pretty good showers they have good food and cold beer and Da bus that will take you down town. They also have trees for shade. As far as Sturgis during bike week yes it is crowded find a parking spot a couple blocks off main street and start walking. Last year we went out the last weekend, Sunday morning we road though the hills we just about had the roads to ourselves. If you go just plan on having a good time and you will.

In 2011 we went to Yellowstone for a couple of days after the Cody, Wy international rally was over. Coming home we stopped for the day at Sturgis. This was on a Wed before the official Friday opening day there. Most vendors were either already set up or doing so while we were running around town. Lots of bikes but no where as crowded as I thought it would be. Had a fun filled day just checking the place out. We didn't stay the night thou as we were running short on time we needed to get home so hit the road . Wouldn't mind going back again as there is great riding roads out that way.

Larry

Ron and I went to Sturgis in 2009. We rode from Cincinnati, Ohio. First night we stayed in Iowa on the border of Minnesota. The next night we camped in Wall, SD. We rode through the Badlands and then on to Sturgis. We camped in Spearfish which is really not a bad ride to Sturgis. Oh and we did not have reservations. We really only went to Sturgis one day. It was crowded there, but it was worth the experience. The rest of the time we rode the Black Hills and etc. It really was not crowded riding the area. I think it was probably the best trip we have ever taken. We rode 3600 miles on the bike. If we did not have our RSV, I doubt it would have been as comfortable. I would go again if we could. We met a lot of really interesting people. We did run into some crazy people too, but I can do that at the local mall.

Yama Mama

back when Star days was in Billings Montana a group of us all in the 50-60 age range Rode from north eastern NY to Billings and we stopped in Sturgis on the way back. Got there a week or two before the start of the Rally. Very pretty country well worth seeing. I usually go to Americade every year and hate the ride through town due to all the stop and go traffic, so I am sure the traffic during Sturgis bike week would spoil some of the fun. If you are into the big bad biker wake babies and scare little old ladies crowd the noise and antics might be fun, just not my idea of fun. By all means take the motorhome as accomodations will be scarce once you get there, otherwise ride there out of season. Interestingloy enough the parking lot at the hotel we stayed at in Sturgis had the lines painted for motorcycle sized parking spaces

Al

Sturgis is Sturgis.If the only way you can get there in the time you can take is in the motorhome then do it.I went for the 50th anniversary and it was great,but I had more time and was younger then.Don't worry about the crowds,you wont have to deal with them for long and its part of the experience.There is a great campground in Spearfish with both camping and motorhome sites restrooms and a pool.We stayed at this campground when I went in 2009 at the first part of July.http://www.blackhills.com/chriscampground

Look at it this way, if you dont go during the rally, you will probly kick yourself later and say I should've went when I had the chance. It may give you an insight to another trip later on that you can set up with alot more time. You then can have the best of both worlds.

As far as a camper goes, if you want that to stay comfortably, dont blame you one bit. If you ride out and treat the whole trip as getting there is half the fun, thats great too.

Its up to you, there really is no wrong answer.

I stay at the Iron Horse Campground. Nice place, you can get some sleep there. Clean showers etc. Id say there are as many or more campers/toyhaulers/enclosed trailers than there are tents. Everybody gets along. Only problem with iron horse is that there is very little shade. You are only about a mile down the road from the Chip/Glencoe.

Anywhere in Ohio...to Sturgis, SD is only a one day ride. And why would you think that driving a motorhome, towing a trailer with the motorcycles on it, would be faster than actually riding the bikes ?

I have been there many times, and we used to rent the house of the HS vice principle, which was one balock over from Main St. We just left the bikes in the back yard of the house, and walked over one block to the zoo. It was fun...years ago, but that was when there was only 200K to 250K people there. Now, with 500K people, it is too crowded.

If you do go, take the bikes...see all the sights outside of Sturgis, camp or motel away from the really big campfrounds, like maybe in Spearfish, SD. It is worth going one time, but the crowds and drunks are a problem.

Malvern Ohio to Sturgis SD = 1340 miles That's a one day ride for most Iron Butt riders but not this aluminum butt rider :clap2:

• 1 month later...

I have been to Sturgis 3 times with my wife. There are a lot of people and bikes. But that is what makes it fum. We trailered our bikes out. Seams like it always rained on the way home. We stayed at a camp ground about 5 miles east of sturgis. Lots of campers, clean showers, beer tent. Take the camper have a good time. :mytruck:

I went last year.Rode my Midnight Venture from Colorado Springs and stayed in Custer.Only spent one day in Sturgis itself and did a lot of riding the other two days I was there.I had never been to a big rally and didn't know what to expect.I had a great time.I'm going back this year and plan to camp.There were a lot of things I wanted to do last year and didn't have time.Go and enjoy it,even if it turns out to just be a bucket list thing.