IGNORED

Have you ever dropped your bike?

Dale124

Hi all. As I await delivery of my first bike in 25 years, I am trying to prepare myself for various scenarios, such as the huge machine tipping over and having to get it back upright. I am wondering how many this has happened to and how did you get it back up? I saw the YouTube video of the but and leg method, but the bike they are picking up doesn't look as big and heavy as the royal star venture.

Thanks,

Dale.

Haven't droped my current bikes (yet?). But tomorrow ain't here,, yet.

I did drop my Road Star twice. Once when I put my foot in a hole (on sand), and once when an idiot pulled in my path on a 4 lane. Help was available both times. But, you just do what you have to do.

I did lower both of my bikes so, it is not as likely to happen (yet?).

Mike G.

So I'll confess. Only one drop and one 1/2 drop. The 1/2 was parked in a shopping lot with a slight down slope. I parked and as I was walking away the bike was gently rolling off the stand, I caught it on the way down just in time to be able to stop it. Other time was stopped with wife on back turning around on a gravel side road, while turning my foot slipped on the gravel and dumped us both off, was sort of slow motion but with the extra weight I couldn't stop it from going down . Was able to put my back and use my legs to lift it up being careful to not go over the other way, yea they are top heavy but can be lifted. I'm even more careful now when moving from a stop.

Meach

Hi all. As I await delivery of my first bike in 25 years, I am trying to prepare myself for various scenarios, such as the huge machine tipping over and having to get it back upright. I am wondering how many this has happened to and how did you get it back up? I saw the YouTube video of the but and leg method, but the bike they are picking up doesn't look as big and heavy as the royal star venture.

Thanks,

Dale.

Almost dropped this thing a few times, mainly trying to make a tight U turn but so far no. I think the combo of anger and embarrassment would have this bike up in a jiffy. seriously, I would use the leg muscles to "walk" the bike back up. do not use your back and for me, I would not shy off any good Samaritans trying to help

Dropped our bike when it had 100 miles on it, trying to make a right turn from a stop. There were lots of folks around. I was so embarassed that I just grabbed our 2nd Gen and made it right. That was the last straw. Had bike triked and replaced the damaged engine guard. Can now drive in the snow and mud without concern.

We all drop them sooner or later. Watch the video on how to pick a bike up.With the bike on the sidestand. Grab the bike and stand it up , then lower it back down. Do this a few times and you will feel comfortable with it.

My late wife, like to say to enjoy a new bike. Take out in the parking lot and let it fall over.Then pick it up and ride the hell out olf it. She had an 86 & 99 venture with a total of 110,000 miles on them. She was kill riding the 99.

Leonard Huff:080402gudl_prv:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeLkrPkjimo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeLkrPkjimo[/ame]

Ride like a pro DVD is awesome and gives member discounts

If you ever park on the grass and have a downpour and your kickstand gradually sinks you will remember it would have been a good idea to have placed a disc under the kick stand. Now that was a while ago and was my first gen, now I carry an electrical cover on a string.

Edited by dacheedah

Yes I dropped the bike once. My wife and I were leaving the mountains of Idaho, and my brothers dog ran out into the rode and started following us. I was dressed in all of my winter gear because it was cold. I did a u turn and the dog was right in front of me. We were going about 2 miles an hour and we layed it down. We did not get hurt and the bike was fine too. Only thing that was hurt was my pride. Two cars were on the road watching me lift my bike up by myself. I have come close a couple of other times since.

Since then I have installed some leveling links and the bike takes take tight turns so much better.

Hal :cool10:

This is the heaviest bike I've ever owned and technically put her down twice...

Once at Key west doing a 2mph uturn and once at Freebirds at 2-3 mph, i hit some

mud on the side of the driveway and the front end washed out before i could whistle Dixie. When these things start going down bout the only thing you can do is crack the throttle and hit your rear brake, or, just let her go down. It won't hurt it.

By 'put her down' i mean rest on the lower portion of the crash bar. it will actually sit there in about a 55 degree angle?

Never put it all the way down and believe it would be quite a handfull if i ever did.

Which reminds me i really should get the lower crash bar braces for the extra support, Just in case...:whistling:

If you ride it you will drop it!! Don't ask how I know....but we only charge 5 bucks when you do drop it!!:whistling:
Thats right .....So there are only three things you need to remember when you drop your bike
  1. The $5.00 dropped my bike donation
  2. turn the handle bar towards the tank one hand on the hand grip, one on the bar behind the seat and with with your backside against the bike just walk it up.
  3. Remember #1

If you have any questions regarding #1 just ask Marcarl for advice. He had trouble with that also but after practicing it three times in one weekend, he now has it down pat and is pretty much the site GURU on procedure for #1:whistling:

Edited by saddlebum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeLkrPkjimo

If you ever park on the grass and have a downpour and your kickstand gradually sinks you will remember it would have been a good idea to have placed a disc under the kick stand. Now that was a while ago and was my first gen, now I carry an electrical cover on a string.

I also carry the electrical cover. strong and wide enough to support the weight. :thumbsup2:

Uhhhh, pretty much every one I've owned at one time or another...

Both Ventures are just that little bit over my limit at my age, close but not quite enough, so I try to make sure m,y wife is with me at all times!

Do you help when Becky picks up your bike ......or do just stand back and watch :witch_brew:

Take motorcycle safety training course even if you have some expereince, help reduce the chance of dropping it. I recently dumped my 1st Gen, tried the foot brake on a dirt road and the front wheel locked up and down I went. I managed to pick it up.

Times I needed help was when 1) my leg was trapped underneath, in an off road hillside.

Enjoy your new ride!

Roy aka

norsk1

Thanks,

Dale.

Dale,

Here is a thread for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16244

the leg method works. my first big bike was a 06 rsv. i dropped it several times, once right in town pulling out from a resteraunt, nothing hurt but the pride. turn the handle bars into the tank, squat down and put your lower back against the seat, grab the handle bar and the grab rail for the passanger and lift wwith your legs. it is still very heavy but it can be done. one thing i did to my rsv to make it handle better was i added leveling links from diamond R accessories. they really work. now i have a 09 HD ultra classic. sits a little lower to the ground then the rsv so it fits me better. never dropped it yet. knock on wood.:shock3:

I dropped my bike 7 weeks ago and blew out a disc in my back because I tried to push my bike up. I spent 6 weeks in bed or on the couch. I live with disabilities ( I'm 61 years old) and while sitting at home I watched evey YouTube I could about picking up your bike. I did EVEYTHING wrong.

I am now going to sell my bike !

Cb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeLkrPkjimo

I had a 5 inch stainless steel disc under the side stand and the ground was still soft enough that it drove the disk into the ground and still fell over while I was not looking. Even though it was all of the way over past the crash bars, and I had to lift it over the still extended side stand, The butt on the seat and walk it up technique still worked fine.

Dropped my 75 XJ750 (one month old) in a parking lot. I was looking at a couple hotties walking by and didn't notice the sand as I pulled the front brake lever. Talk about embarrassing!!!

Ain't sayin nuthin bout my current ride cuz I don't wanna jinx myself LOL!