IGNORED

Lane Splitting...

Owen

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here I go again. Lane splitting takes a stupid idiot.

I'm done.

I would be in agreement in most cities. But in gridlock traffic such as in California, New York, Chicago I can see the practice being employed if done as the CHP directed, under 30mph, always being aware of the cage dwellers. As riders we are more alert to our surroundings, we can't be distracted talking on the phone, texting, eating, making out with girlfriends, and I've yet to see a child's car seat on a MC. I think we should take advantage of all the benefits that the smaller size vehicle affords. We already get the best parking spots:whistling:

In the IS lane splitting is an accepted practice in California and ONLY in California. It is a practice I used when I lived there. I limited it to no more than 20 to 25 mph if the traffic was moving at the speed I filtered into a lane and I only lane split on the freeway. My observations were that traffic expected it and positioned themselves in their lane to facilitate it. I never had anyone swerve at me or open a door on me or ever try to block me from lane sitting.

That being said it is not a practice I would consider doing in any other state. The cagers do not expect it so they do get upset when it is done and they will do things that endanger you.

When done in an environment where it is an accepted practice with prudent limitations it is a technique I will employ, and when it is an environment that it is not an accepted practice, or where I can not apply prudent limitations, then I will not employ the technique.

As always if someone I am riding with does not like the techniques I apply to my riding they are not obligated to apply them just as I am not obligated to use the techniques they apply that I disagree with.

Ride Happy, Ride Safe

Here I go again. Lane splitting takes a stupid idiot.

I'm done.

The person that wrote that article is a tool.

WHY do you think that? It is LEGAL!

In the IS lane splitting is an accepted practice in California and ONLY in California. It is a practice I used when I lived there. I limited it to no more than 20 to 25 mph if the traffic was moving at the speed I filtered into a lane and I only lane split on the freeway. My observations were that traffic expected it and positioned themselves in their lane to facilitate it. I never had anyone swerve at me or open a door on me or ever try to block me from lane sitting.

That being said it is not a practice I would consider doing in any other state. The cagers do not expect it so they do get upset when it is done and they will do things that endanger you.

When done in an environment where it is an accepted practice with prudent limitations it is a technique I will employ, and when it is an environment that it is not an accepted practice, or where I can not apply prudent limitations, then I will not employ the technique.

As always if someone I am riding with does not like the techniques I apply to my riding they are not obligated to apply them just as I am not obligated to use the techniques they apply that I disagree with.

Ride Happy, Ride Safe

Well put! Lane splitting is not something I practice but where legal and expected by motorists, why not if you're comfortable doing it.

This was some lane splitting by an :moon: close to home here. The bike was an R1 registered to his mother, it was impounded with proof it was THE bike involved, there is chips in the paint that appear on the video they proved to be on the bike they seized, it was sold at auction, mother was given about 1,000 $ in fines as well as she is the registered owner.

It took a few months but the son was later charged with being the operator of the bike but that has not been proven in court as yet. Word is that the son posted the video and bragged about it on one of the local motorcycle forums. The top speed in the video is 299 Kph which equals 185.79 Mph:buttkick::buttkick::buttkick:

It turned out that the provincial government here had been considering permitting lane splitting until this showed on YouTube.

[ame]

[/ame]

Lane splitting is legal in Western Australia. [speed limit or less]

Lane splitting is illegal, unlawful and frowned upon in New South Wales. :no-no-no:

However, the State Government is trialling lane filtering in a couple of areas whereby bikes are allowed to moved to the front in traffic that is stationary at traffic lights and thereby effect a quick getaway ahead of the pack when the lights change. Sounds good to me, but damned near impossible seeing I'm now dragging around Annie's Voyager. :rotf:

I've just viewed that video clip, and it scared the crap out of me especially when a quick calculation tells me that 300km/hr equates to 83 metres per second.

What length is the average tin top - 4 metres?

83 divided by 4 = close to 21?

In other words if traffic was stationary and bumper-to-bumper he'd be able to pass 21 cars per second.

What was he on (other than a Yammie)? Speed (of the methamphetamine type)? :confused24:

Absolute Richard Cranium.

Legal or illegal doesn't make a difference to me but here are some facts:

Your motorcycle travels:

29.3 feet per second at 20 mph.

36.7 feet per second at 25 mph.

44.0 feet per second at 30 mph.

95.3 feet per second at 65 mph.

There is not a warning light or alarm when a motorist swings open their door.

Unexpected movement is to be expected in a traffic jam.

If a motorcycle is involved in an accident with a cage it will lose.

What is your reaction time?:080402gudl_prv:

Just because it's legal does not mean it's a safe practice.

I didn't say it was safe. I was just wondering why you thought he was a tool for advocating for something that was legal. There may be a lot of activities that I wouldn't do because they aren't safe, but I wouldn't necessarily call anyone a tool for writing about something that was legal and that they are passionate about, just because I didn't think it was safe. He seemed articulate, wrote a rational argument, used examples.

...just sayin.

Edited by Swifty

This was some lane splitting by an :moon: close to home here. The bike was an R1 registered to his mother, it was impounded with proof it was THE bike involved, there is chips in the paint that appear on the video they proved to be on the bike they seized, it was sold at auction, mother was given about 1,000 $ in fines as well as she is the registered owner.

It took a few months but the son was later charged with being the operator of the bike but that has not been proven in court as yet. Word is that the son posted the video and bragged about it on one of the local motorcycle forums. The top speed in the video is 299 Kph which equals 185.79 Mph:buttkick::buttkick::buttkick:

It turned out that the provincial government here had been considering permitting lane splitting until this showed on YouTube."

IMHO there is a huge difference between what the guy in this video is doing and lane splitting as described in the article. The video is an example of plain ol' reckless driving. I think the article was well written.

I didn't say it was safe. I was just wondering why you thought he was a tool for advocating for something that was legal. There may be a lot of activities that I wouldn't do because they aren't safe, but I wouldn't necessarily call anyone a tool for writing about something that was legal and that they are passionate about, just because I didn't think it was safe. He seemed articulate, wrote a rational argument, used examples.

...just sayin.

He is a tool. ........just sayin'