IGNORED

Lowering Seat height?

Curious what tricks you guys may have used to get a lower seat height? Road my first gen for the first time ever last week and the biggest issue I have is reaching the ground. I had to take all the air pressure out of the rear shock just to have a chance of reaching the ground with some limited confidence. With time, I'm sure I can get accustomed to it, but I'd feel better if I could flat foot this sucker.

For the record, I'm not the tallest guy around. I'm about 5-7 or 5-8 with a 31" in-seam.

Curious what tricks you guys may have used to get a lower seat height? Road my first gen for the first time ever last week and the biggest issue I have is reaching the ground. I had to take all the air pressure out of the rear shock just to have a chance of reaching the ground with some limited confidence. With time, I'm sure I can get accustomed to it, but I'd feel better if I could flat foot this sucker.

For the record, I'm not the tallest guy around. I'm about 5-7 or 5-8 with a 31" in-seam.

HotRodYJ, one of the things many of s smaller guys have done and have yet NOT done, is reach out to Rick Butler, who is on this fabulous site. He modifies the seats to take the pressure off your back side by removing padding in specific areas. This brings the bike a bit lower.

From all accounts he is excellent and has many people very satisfied in the comfort as well.

I have a second generation, and was lowered prior to purchase by a BARONS lowering kit. Me being almost same exact height and with 30 inch inseam, I can already stand flat foot.

That said, there are gurus of first gens that have many tricks. Hope this helps somewhat

Barry

Seat mods would be my last choice since my seat is near perfect. Hate to mess with a perfectly good seat and for now at least it is far more comfortable then my Suzuki. I will look into the Barons lowering kit mentioned though.

...How much air are you running in the front?

Front leaks down over a few days, but with zero in the front and rear it's not too bad. I can get a good half a foot on the ground. But can you ride with no air in either end?

Brian, if you are going to be around tomorrow, I may can ride over your way and you can sit on my bike. I have a Corbin seat that has been scooped out. Just let me know.

RandyA

Thanks Randy, but Sundays are busy. Wont be home for any length of time all day. When I get a battery for the Yamaha, I'll ride over toward your place so you can check it out. I'll let you know for sure.

Thick soled boots....:thumbsup2:

That crossed my mind as well. Boots will definetly make a difference. :thumbsup2:

Brian,

I can rework and lower your seat enough to get you closer to the ground. And when you get it back, you won't be able to tell anything was ever done to it. Take a look at my ad in the Classifieds and let me know if I can help you:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3738&title=butt-butler-seat-mod&cat=25

And you cannot lower the rear or front of any 1st gen without alot of reconstruction to your suspension. And don't worry about air in the forks, that is just there to change preload for heavier riders....which appears is not your issue.

Rick

Seat mods would be my last choice since my seat is near perfect. Hate to mess with a perfectly good seat and for now at least it is far more comfortable then my Suzuki. I will look into the Barons lowering kit mentioned though.

Front leaks down over a few days, but with zero in the front and rear it's not too bad. I can get a good half a foot on the ground. But can you ride with no air in either end?

Yes, what Rick says!! Also there is no Barons lowering kit for the 1st gen Venture, that is strictly a 2nd gen part.

As far as riding with zero air pressure, it makes for a very squishy bouncy ride and it does not handle as well. Try the "Low" setting on the preset of the controller, or run about 5 - 10 psi in front and around 20 psi in the rear.

I once considered adapting a 2nd gen type seat arrangement as I have a 29 inch inseam but never pursued it. Take your seat off and swing a leg over and understand why I thought of this...

As mbrood said, you could replace the spacer in the front with a shorter one. You could also replace the shock with something a little shorter (I had one made up which is actually longer, but my needs were different), but I suspect you might have troubles with ground clearance - certainly if you were riding two up with zero air pressure that might be an issue. You need to try it and see I suppose, as it will depend a lot on the roads that you are riding on. In town and on motorways it would be fine. Spirited riding on bumpy twisties could be a whole different matter.

i hear you man... i'm 5'6" with 30" inseam and its a struggle. i had Rick Butler do the seat mods and he did an awesome job, but its still an issue with me... i seem to struggle the most when doing "loaded for bear" touring with my wife and i on because i need to bump the air up significantly. we ride in a pretty spirited manner so i need the bike tight for carving twisties and such.

i run progressive shocks up front and i have experimented with different spacers, even running no spacers.

one person suggested running no spacer up front with a heavier fork oil, like 15wt instead of 10wt. i'm going to try that next beacause it just seems too high with a spacer. its give and take. hard to find the perfect setup...

i'm interested in any tips as well.

anybody ever try a smaller tire ??? like 140/80/16 instead of the stock 140/90/16 and same with the front??? of course that will likely affect the clearance and cornering so i don't know if thats a good idea...

if your bike already has progressive springs. there is a pvc spacer that allows you to do just what you are asking....at the front. My spacer is approx. 1/2" and the fork sag is just 2.3". Leaving me with about 3" of travel remaining. Yes, get the seat reshaped. The trick to reaching the ground is narrowing the front of the seat foam. Which allows you to pivot forward and making a straighter reach as you step out with you feet at a stop. I have a travelcade seat. That is narrower than stock at the front...I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the issue of ride height I have a question. My first 2 ventures were 1984's bought new and now I ride an 86 VR. When I bought the bike the guy said he had ridden an 84 prior and it rode different, I thought nothing of it. After riding the 86 I see what he meant. High speed handling is fine, but low speed is a different story. It feels to me that the 86 sits higher at least in the rear than my 84's did which were more of a reclined position. Is this my imagination or is there a difference in the ride height between them?:backinmyday: