IGNORED

Engine swap? WHAT!?!?!

Have any Venture Riders ever thought or heard of swapping the 1300cc out with the thumping 1854cc of the Stratoliner? Would it bolt to the transmition of the Venture since they're both 5 speeds? Don't get me wrong, I love my ride, and I understand it's a bike in it's own class built for the long cruise. But what if...What if it could be more? What if I could have the luxurious comfort of Yamaha's #1 tour bike, powered by the loping thump of Yamaha's biggest V-Twin?

So...what do you all think? Has it been done, or can it be done?

The V-Max 4cyl is the only logical way to go in my opinion but surely this is a matter of taste. The V-Max into a Royal Star frame has been done but is a lot of work and mods. If I remember right the biggest issue they had was hooking up and modifying the electrical system. Was done to a Tour Deluxe 1997 model. Here is an article about it: http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/custom_batman_yamaha_royal_star/

Jonas

I have been saying since I bought my VR that one of the first 10 things I will do if I hit a big lottery is to buy a brand new V Max just to have the power plant installed in my, or another, VR. Just because and no matter the cost.:mo money:

Have any Venture Riders ever thought or heard of swapping the 1300cc out with the thumping 1854cc of the Stratoliner? Would it bolt to the transmition of the Venture since they're both 5 speeds? Don't get me wrong, I love my ride, and I understand it's a bike in it's own class built for the long cruise. But what if...What if it could be more? What if I could have the luxurious comfort of Yamaha's #1 tour bike, powered by the loping thump of Yamaha's biggest V-Twin?

My question is why?? How do you figure its more? both about a 100hp but your stepping back in time with the air cooled push rod engine for what? wait its 1854cc!!

Spend some money on the 1300cc cams,springs,higher compression pistons,carbs. etc. and keep embarrassing the stratoliner at will. order some cams and springs for the 1300 some straight pipes and you will never know a what a stratoliner is. :stirthepot:

First of all, the tranny is integral to the engine on the 1300. I don't know about the Strat but I think it's separate.

Secondly, it's doubtful it would fit; however, like others, I'd be more inclined to put the new V-max engine into an RSV.

Thirdly, WHY? Just "because"?? makes no sense to me! :doh: You'd gain nothing IMO.

Geezzz..........I think you guys are being a bit hard on the guy. Now most of us here who ride the Venture do so because we LOVE the V4 engine. If a V Twin was preferred, then there are a lot of bike choices out there. On the other hand, some of us also LOVE the style and the comfort of the second gen Venture. I have yet to find another bike, V Twin or otherwise, that offers the comfort and room of my RSV.

So...if somebody loves the styling and comfort of the Venture but also happens to love the low high torque and more relaxed loping feel of a V Twin, then the combination mentioned would be a beautiful thing.

So the question asked was not WHY anybody would want to but ..... has anybody seen it done. I have not and have no idea if it could be done or not but I can see where it might be an attractive option for some folks.

So there.....that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :rasberry:

Geezzz..........I think you guys are being a bit hard on the guy. Now most of us here who ride the Venture do so because we LOVE the V4 engine. If a V Twin was preferred, then there are a lot of bike choices out there. On the other hand, some of us also LOVE the style and the comfort of the second gen Venture. I have yet to find another bike, V Twin or otherwise, that offers the comfort and room of my RSV.

So...if somebody loves the styling and comfort of the Venture but also happens to love the low high torque and more relaxed loping feel of a V Twin, then the combination mentioned would be a beautiful thing.

So the question asked was not WHY anybody would want to but ..... has anybody seen it done. I have not and have no idea if it could be done or not but I can see where it might be an attractive option for some folks.

As they say the truth hurts sometimes. could go buy a Hardley I guess, air cooled push rod engine and they already have a touring model. :rotf::080402gudl_prv:

Guest tx2sturgis

Considering the drivetrain is so different, and the entire drivetrain/swingarm/rear wheel/fuelandair intakes would all need to be changed...I think it would make more sense to bolt on all the venture goodies, such as fairing and trunk to the Stratoliner frame.

I took a Strat for a test ride and I couldnt wait to get off that bike...

Lots of power, yes, but the handling, ergos, ride, wind, noise, vibration, all were VERY unpleasant for me.

If you want to barhop with a bike, I suppose it would do the job. But touring with it?

I'll pass.

Lots of power, yes, but the handling, ergos, ride, wind, noise, vibration, all were VERY unpleasant for me.

If you want to barhop with a bike, I suppose it would do the job. But touring with it?

This is from a guy that ordered a Ural.

:rotfl: :buttkick: :080402gudl_prv:

Gary

Thanks Freebird,

You understood the question exactly.

My question is why?? How do you figure its more? both about a 100hp but your stepping back in time with the air cooled push rod engine for what? wait its 1854cc!!

Spend some money on the 1300cc cams,springs,higher compression pistons,carbs. etc. and keep embarrassing the stratoliner at will. order some cams and springs for the 1300 some straight pipes and you will never know a what a stratoliner is. :stirthepot:

Good advice,

It's not just about speed. Although the speed would be good, the low end torque and the classic sound of the V-twin is really what I was thinking of. I had the 1100 V-star brand new off the show room floor before got my RSV. I loved that bike and it sounded great. But after a couple of years of commuting 80 miles a day, I made the switch to the RSV and after the switch, I knew there was no turning back. It's just every now and then I yearn for that V-twin sound, without giving up the comfort of the RSV.

Good advice,

It's not just about speed. Although the speed would be good, the low end torque and the classic sound of the V-twin is really what I was thinking of. I had the 1100 V-star brand new off the show room floor before got my RSV. I loved that bike and it sounded great. But after a couple of years of commuting 80 miles a day, I made the switch to the RSV and after the switch, I knew there was no turning back. It's just every now and then I yearn for that V-twin sound, without giving up the comfort of the RSV.

Get yourself an mp3 player, load it up with V-twin sounds, and play it thru your system as you ride... :whistling: :cool10: :rotfl:

As they say the truth hurts sometimes. could go buy a Hardley I guess, air cooled push rod engine and they already have a touring model. :rotf::080402gudl_prv:

I could buy a Hardley. The good thing about them is there's a shop on every corner. Necessity or convenience? You be the judge, I have my oppinion. But aside from that, I can't stomach the blatantly inflated price tag for a brand name. I'm good with my Yamaha, a good quality bike for a reasonable price.

i keep a 94 shadow 1100 parked next to my venture so i can have the twin and the comfort love both bikes but they each have their place and know it

That was my next suggestion pick up a nice used older v-twin and have both.

I have the venture and a vmax can't take much more than a 100 miles at a time on the vmax but can do a 1000 miles on the venture easy.

A few of us took our old bikes pre 80's out for a 500 mile loop a few weeks back. Wow was I ready to get home the RD,CB,KZ and a friends old Moto-Guzzi wasn't as comfortable as anyone remembered. Butt's out of shape for a flat seat that far anymore.

Sorry I never got into the air-cooled, push rod, chuggin v-twin type power of lack there of, good torque though just not my thing. They build both so everyone has their choice. :bluesbrother:

That was my next suggestion pick up a nice used older v-twin and have both.

I have the venture and a vmax can't take much more than a 100 miles at a time on the vmax but can do a 1000 miles on the venture easy.

A few of us took our old bikes pre 80's out for a 500 mile loop a few weeks back. Wow was I ready to get home the RD,CB,KZ and a friends old Moto-Guzzi wasn't as comfortable as anyone remembered. Butt's out of shape for a flat seat that far anymore.

Sorry I never got into the air-cooled, push rod, chuggin v-twin type power of lack there of, good torque though just not my thing. They build both so everyone has their choice. :bluesbrother:

That may be the more logical way to go. Certainly the cost of an engine swap would be as much and possibly more than the cost of at V-twin for around town. Just one thing left to do. Convince the wife that we need a third bike in the garage, between her 650 V-star and my RSV. :whistling: If i can figure that out, I can buy the bike with proceeds from my new book "How to influence and win her opinion". :rotf::rotf::rotf:

Lots of engineering to do, change from a shaft to a belt drive. I dont know if there would be clearance in the frame. If your looking for some low end performance, a Vmax or FJR rearend will give you some more seat of the pants and are pretty much a direct bolt in.

You could also massage the heads and install Vmax cams and that would give you some grunt too. If your looking for the low end torque of a twin, buy a 2nd bike and have the best of both worlds :thumbsup2: