IGNORED

Avon Venom X

royalstarjac

After getting only about 2K miles from my last Dunlop D404 rear tire, I decided there was no way I would buy another for the RSV so I put on a set of Avon Venom X tires.

Holy cow, what a difference! Granted, the D404 was wore slap out and the stock Brickstone on the front was looking rough after 11k miles but this thing feels like a sportbike compared to what it was like!

Rode about 100 mi 2 up today down GA hwy 60 through Suches to GA19 then over to US 129 and over Blood Mtn. Some good twisties! I was having a ball flicking (well almost!) the RSV through the curves.

For anyone looking for a new set of tires I would highly recommend them. I'll have to wait and see how many miles I get from the but they've got to be better then the Dunlops!-Jack

There are many of us here on the site that run nothing but Avons. Like was mentioned, all you have to do is try them out and you'll be hooked. Tom gives VERY good advise in that they should be kept at the max pressure. Adjust your suspension and not the air pressure in the tires, you'll get better wear at the upper most pressure :happy34:

I had the D404 on the front and rear of my 87 also and only got around 2000kl and went by other posts that said the Metzler tires were good, but later heard they were'nt. Have to change my front now also but am going with the Metzler just to see. I will probably try the Venom's next.

This is my 2nd set of Avon tires on the bike. I get about 8000 to 9000

miles per set. at that i have two good front tires just seting a round. It seam to be two to one, two back to one front tire. I got the bike tires from

Central Yamaha here in Texas. Way to high can do a lot better on the net.

I put Avon tires on my two pickups a Ford 150 & a Chev1/2 ton. they are doing O.K. I buy all of my truck tires "now" from the "Tirerack.com"

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirebran.jsp

You keep em aired to specs and I have not found a better tire..Yes they handle like a dream!Hard to tell anyone,they have to see and feel to believe. Tom

I called Avon customer service and they said if you run 50 psi in the rear they will run cooler and last longer. I put 50 in the rear and 45 in the front.-Jack

Guest KitCarson

2000 miles on a Dunlop and it is shot..........I am not riding with you guys, I have fought those cigarettes for long time.....do not wish to breath all that smoke at the stop lights........:rotf::rotf::rotf::bighug:

So is the consensus here that one should follow the tire MFG specification on air pressure or the bike MFG air pressure specification?
Tire manufacturer the oem numbers are for oem tires only. If you change brands or models go with the tire mfg recommendations.

Tire manufacturer the oem numbers are for oem tires only. If you change brands or models go with the tire mfg recommendations.

I pulled my Met 880 off yesterday and it was very apparent that the center of the tread was almost gone and much less ware on the sides. This would indicate that either I never lean the bike or there was too much air pressure in the tires for the load. I am very careful to maintain 42 psi in the rear tires, ( by the way, the front which I keep 35 psi in were worn very evenly ) This has got me very wondering, what pressure should I be using in my new Avon's. I appreciate Rednecks response but though I would see what Avon had to say, below is my question and there responce

Hi Ed,

Use the pressures recommended in your handbook. For 2 up or 2 up with luggage, add 2-3 psi front and rear.

Best regards,

Peter J McNally

M/C Technical Product Manager

01225 357753

www.avonmotorcycle.com

Sent: 30 January 2008 12:48

To: McNally, Pete J.

Subject: correct tire pressure

I have a Yamaha Royal Star Venture and have just installed Avon Venom tires. My question is do I put Max pressure front and rear( ie 42 & 50 ) as shown on the side wall or do I use pressure as called for in the bike owners manual. the original tires were either Bridgestone or Dunlop. Please give me recommended pressures for both one up and two up.

Thank You

Ed McChain

I've been riding on Avon Venoms for about five years (this RSV and previous bike Shadow ACE Tourer). I usually ride solo, and keep the front at 37lbs and the rear at 46lbs -- near max pressure written on the sidewalls. These are great tires. As for he ME880, taking them off of your bike was the best thing to do with them!:stickinouttounge:

http://webmail.att.net/wm/images/c0.gif

Dear Mr. Weir Please feel free to revisit Avon Tyres with me. So we both together cansee/read the info that you have requested, plus some. www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/ See, fitment guide - click; see, Choose A Manufacturer; see, the down arrow- click; see, Yamaha - click; see, Model/cc type in "1300"; see, go - click;see, XVZ 1300 Royal Star, Classic, Tour Deluxe (1995-2001) - click; see,Front (AM41) Venom 150/80-16 71H @ 36 p.s.i. (@ cold temp.'s) and Rear(AM42) Venom 150/90B15 M/C 80H @ 42 (42 = a misprint) should read 44 p.s.i.(@ cold temp.'s). NOTE; the front size, your MT90B16 74H AM41 Venom is not the OE size firthis model of motorcycle. So plus time for this custom front fitment. Please feel free to view the attachment that I have sent you. Note; Based on a ___170 lbs rider with no luggage; see, Venom Tires withreinforced construction (for both the MT90B16 74 AM41 Venom and 150/90B15M/C 80H AM42 Venom); see, Front Solo 38-40, 2 up light 40-41 (loads) and 2up heavy (loads) 42-43 and Rear Solo 44, 2 up light (load) 46 and 2 up heavy(load) 48-50; now see (that the bottom of this page) NOTE; This is a widerange recommendation for average conditions only. High speed riding and/orHigh road temperatures may require a moderate increase in pressure (also). I hope that I have answered your question. If not, please feel free to callme at 1-800-624-7470, Mon. thru Fri., 800 to 1700 hours PDT. Thank you for your interest in buying and using Avon Tyres.Regards, Keith

There are many of us here on the site that run nothing but Avons. Like was mentioned, all you have to do is try them out and you'll be hooked. Tom gives VERY good advise in that they should be kept at the max pressure. Adjust your suspension and not the air pressure in the tires, you'll get better wear at the upper most pressure :happy34:

I just had these put on today. Are you saying the front should be @ 42 & the rear @ 50? That's what the max is on each tire. The dealer set them 36 & 42.

That is the way I run mine,by what the MAX pressure says on the tire.I have read posts that the people at Avon says run higher for heavier loads but I cant find that info ANYWHERE on there site and I have found alot of the time people at these companies give their opinions. I will stay with the rating on the tire. No offense to anyone who does otherwise,just works for me. Tom

• 3 months later...

I'm also a firm believer in the Avon tire. Have them on my Road Star, can't wait till the tires need to be replaced on my RSV. The Avon's just feel so nice on the road, hold well and ride great. I'll sacrifice a little mileage for the feel any day.

I just had these put on today. Are you saying the front should be @ 42 & the rear @ 50? That's what the max is on each tire. The dealer set them 36 & 42.

Didn't see this responce when it was made, I run the max pressure in the rear and you can shave a bit off the front. The reason that I say to keep them up at the top pressure is your load capacity is rated at MAX inflation pressure. The less pressure you have in them, the less load capacity you have with the tire. It's easier to keep them at just about max then forget and run an overloaded under inflated tire.

After getting only about 2K miles from my last Dunlop D404 rear tire, I decided there was no way I would buy another for the RSV so I put on a set of Avon Venom X tires.

Holy cow, what a difference! Granted, the D404 was wore slap out and the stock Brickstone on the front was looking rough after 11k miles but this thing feels like a sportbike compared to what it was like!

Rode about 100 mi 2 up today down GA hwy 60 through Suches to GA19 then over to US 129 and over Blood Mtn. Some good twisties! I was having a ball flicking (well almost!) the RSV through the curves.

For anyone looking for a new set of tires I would highly recommend them. I'll have to wait and see how many miles I get from the but they've got to be better then the Dunlops!-Jack

As far as mileage I got 15,500miles on my back tire and so far have 23000 on the front and it has plenty to go. I'm sure it will depend on how you ride, but mine was a mixture of 50/50 1 & 2 up.:thumbsup: And by the way, I LOVE THEM TOO!

• 2 months later...
Guest buckbuckey25

Hey there! Need some quick info for those running the Venom X Avons. Can someone post the model or tire size for both front and rear?

Thanks a BUNCH!

Brian

Some use the smaller front but I will tell you if you just put the STOCK sizes back on in the Avon Venoms there is a world of difference.You will get other responses that the smaller is better for handling but from what i have read they went straight to the smaller front from the stock and didnt try it with the STOCK size first. I do not run the leveling links and I will only run Avons from now on in the STOCK size..I had mets 880s for 1700 miles and they started throwing rubber so Again,MY OPINION stay away from METZ 880s

Front 150/80-16 Rear 150/90-15