IGNORED

Engineers

Gary N.

"What is the difference between mechanical engineers and civil engineers? Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build targets."

I thought this was very appropriate for our family. Matt the Mech. Eng. works at General Dynamics (armoured personnel carriers) and his wife Val the Civil Eng. works for the MTO (Hwy. Bridges etc.)

Guess that definition sums it up fairly easily..I cant think of adding anything to it.

From Wikipedia:

Mechanical engineering is a discipline of engineering that applies the principles of physics and materials science for analysis, design, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems. It is the branch of engineering that involves the production and usage of heat and mechanical power for th

e design, production, and operation of machines and tools.[1] It is one of the oldest and broadest engineering disciplines.

Civil engineering is a professional engineering discipline that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the physical and naturally built environment, including works like roads, bridges, canals, dams, and buildings.[1][2][3] Civil engineering is the oldest engineering discipline after military engineering,[4] and it was defined to distinguish non-military engineering from military engineering.[5] It is traditionally broken into several sub-disciplines including environmental engineering, geotechnical engineering, Geophysics, Geodesy, Control engineering, structural engineering, biomechanics, nanotechnology, transportation engineering, earth science, atmospheric sciences, forensic engineering, municipal or urban engineering, water resources engineering, materials engineering, Control Engineering, coastal engineering,[4] surveying, and construction engineering.[6] Civil engineering takes place on all levels: in the public sector from municipal through to national governments, and in the private sector from individual homeowners through to international companies.

I have worked on civil side some, but mostly on mechanical side.

Hated civil side in general. Mechanical side I can have much more control over design with proper tolerancing.

I work in R&D now, it's fun to take something from a blank sheet of paper to a sellable product. I am on a couple of patents, which company owns but I get a bonus for.

I work in a different division than the group picture relates to. We do wireless sensors and other electrical controls. I do the housing & some tooling design. Most everything I work on can be held in your hand for size relation.

Gary

Guess that definition sums it up fairly easily..I cant think of adding anything to it.

From Wikipedia:

Mechanical engineering is a discipline of engineering that applies the principles of physics and materials science for analysis, design, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems. It is the branch of engineering that involves the production and usage of heat and mechanical power for th

e design, production, and operation of machines and tools.[1] It is one of the oldest and broadest engineering disciplines.

Civil engineering is a professional engineering discipline that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the physical and naturally built environment, including works like roads, bridges, canals, dams, and buildings.[1][2][3] Civil engineering is the oldest engineering discipline after military engineering,[4] and it was defined to distinguish non-military engineering from military engineering.[5] It is traditionally broken into several sub-disciplines including environmental engineering, geotechnical engineering, Geophysics, Geodesy, Control engineering, structural engineering, biomechanics, nanotechnology, transportation engineering, earth science, atmospheric sciences, forensic engineering, municipal or urban engineering, water resources engineering, materials engineering, Control Engineering, coastal engineering,[4] surveying, and construction engineering.[6] Civil engineering takes place on all levels: in the public sector from municipal through to national governments, and in the private sector from individual homeowners through to international companies.

Our daughter is going to school to be a Bio-Medical Engineer, better add that one to the list:think:

Craig

Comprehending Engineers - Take Seven An engineering student was walking across campus when another engineer rides up on a shiny new motorcycle.* "Where did you get such a great bike?" asked the first.* The second engineer replied "Well, I was walking along yesterday minding my own business when a beautiful woman rode up on this bike.* She threw the bike to the ground, took off all her clothes and said 'take what you want.'" The second engineer nodded approvingly "Good choice; the clothes probably wouldn't have fit.

:rotf:

Comprehending Engineers - Take Five

Three engineering students were gathered together discussing the possible designers of the human body.* One said, "It was a mechanical engineer. Just look at all the joints."* Another said, "No, it was an electrical engineer.* The nervous systems many thousands of electrical connections." The last said, "Actually it was a civil engineer.* Who else would run a toxic waste pipeline through a recreational area?"

"What is the difference between mechanical engineers and civil engineers? Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build targets."

I thought this was very appropriate for our family. Matt the Mech. Eng. works at General Dynamics (armoured personnel carriers) and his wife Val the Civil Eng. works for the MTO (Hwy. Bridges etc.)

And then theres "Train Engineers", like my brother Jim(CSX), that brings the other engineers building materials.