IGNORED

Performance decrease out west?

Looks like we're gonna have to head west Thursday instead of our eastern trip we had planned due to hurricane Isaac.

The question I have is, how much performance decrease should I expect once we get into the mountains in Colorado, NM, Ut, and Ariz?

We have been all over the Smoky's and Blue Ridges with the 6000ft peaks, and really didn't notice a decrease, however, I hear out west with the additional altitudes, and dryer air, there might be an issue.

Like to know what to expect so I won't think there is something wrong with my ride.

Thanks

Looks like we're gonna have to head west Thursday instead of our eastern trip we had planned due to hurricane Isaac.

The question I have is, how much performance decrease should I expect once we get into the mountains in Colorado, NM, Ut, and Ariz?

We have been all over the Smoky's and Blue Ridges with the 6000ft peaks, and really didn't notice a decrease, however, I hear out west with the additional altitudes, and dryer air, there might be an issue.

Like to know what to expect so I won't think there is something wrong with my ride.

Thanks

I doubt if you will notice any difference. You had a little loss of power at 6K and you'll have twice that little loss at 12K. :080402gudl_prv:

All naturally aspirated engines will loose about 3% per thousand feet of elevation. Sorry guys thats just physics. The Venture does not have a lot of reserve power so this can be noticeable. Especially in fifth gear. The RSTD is a bit lighter so it may not be as apparent. So depending on the altitude you are accustomed to riding at and the load you are carrying you may feel some difference. It should not however be enough to be a problem.

Mike

I am being 100% honest when I say that I've had absolutely no problems with my RSV crossed the highest mountains in Colorado. Maybe I was just so into the beauty of the mountains that I just didn't notice but whatever power was lost certainly wasn't an issue. Much of it was riding two up and pulling a fairly heavily loaded Bushtec trailer.

Gas milage will go dow a little, depending on the fuel you burn(stay away from the 15% ethanol) the atltitude and the westerly winds.

Really Noticed the winds around Larimie Wy.

Be careful anywhere you see snow barriers or windmills (they are there for a reason) :whistling:LOL

ENJOY!

Thanks so much for the input. Taking an average of everyones responses, it sounds like it's something I shouldn't be worrying about.

And yes, Sarges46, you're right. I'm sure my big a** will be puffing way harder than my bike in those altitudes.

Hello Lynn: If you get as close as Colorado, besure to keep us posted maybe we can meet up?:)

Mark,

If we go west we will certainly be going to Colorado, however, the farthest north we will be going is to Salida, or the Royal Gorge area. Then we will head west on Hwy 50 to Montrose, then down the Million Dollar Hwy to Durango.

Not sure how close that would be to you.

Mark,

If we go west we will certainly be going to Colorado, however, the farthest north we will be going is to Salida, or the Royal Gorge area. Then we will head west on Hwy 50 to Montrose, then down the Million Dollar Hwy to Durango.

I love the Million Dollar Hwy but Rt 50 from Gunnison to Montrose, though not as high energy, is very nice as well. The Blue Mesa Reservoir is spectacular at sunrise. Enjoy. I'm jealous.

I normally ride in the 92 to 1000 feet above sea level when i rode out to stardays in 2009 found that in the 8000 foot level I was getting about 30% less mpg. but that was e85 gas two up all day long and fully loaded with clothing and supplies for a week

Al

i have no experience with e85 in my rs, but i did put it oncein my work truck (e85-ready) and had at least 30% loss in mpg....the truck ran so bad the one time i ran it (it seems like it developed a miss) i never ran it again.

are these bikes e85-ready? how was the performance on your steed when you ran it? did it have any lasting effects?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I forgot to respond to this thread after we got back from our trip two weeks ago.

The concern I raised of less power at higher altitudes really never mattered. The bike performed great at all altitudes. Did I notice less power and less throttle reaction at the higher altitudes (9000 and above)? Yes. However, it wasn't enough to fret over.

In the end, I was impressed with the plenty of perfomance the bike gave considering we were packed to the gills, and was surely somewhat over weight.

I don't even think the high altitudes affected the gas mileage that much. I was checking the mpg at every fillup, and while we were in the serious mountains, we were averaging 39-42 mpg. And as I said before, we were loaded up. Where we suffered the most on mpg was while we were on the freeway running 75mph for hours. The bike only averaged 29-32mpg on the freeway. The big red booger sucks gas like a Hoover at speeds above 65mph.