IGNORED

Center for Disease Control Considers Helmetless Motorcyclists an Epidemic

AzBones

I want to preface this with a disclaimer... I'm not anti-helmet, I am pro-freedom. The government really should stay out of our private lives... nearly every state in the US has an ABATE. Please consider joining them.

From ABATE of Arizona's Masterlink newsletter:

======================

Editor’s Note: Well folks, you had to know that it was gonna happen. The safety nanny bureaucrats are once again leaning toward a national helmet mandate and this is just the beginning.

First they tried to do it through the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), but we pointed out that they were basing their findings on studies on a mere SIX motorcycle accidents. They are, without a doubt, the experts when it comes to most air and ground transportation - but their ignorance was showing when it came to motorcycles.

Since that end-around run failed, the CDC picked up the ball and has been running full speed toward the end zone. But, like nearly government agency that you could name, they stepped on their shoestrings while performing an early celebration before crossing the line.

GW Peterson with ABATE of Virginia was searching for a breakdown of which part of the body was injured during motorcycle fatalities (percentage of head trauma vs. chest trauma vs. abdomen etc.) He could not find anything so he contacted our friends at the CDC. Below is the response from the Director of the Office of Statistics and Programming. I do not have to point out to this esteemed body the obvious question for which the response calls. Please read the response below:

Hi Mr. Peterson,

Thanks for your inquiry. We do not have Motorcyclist injury deaths tabulated by body region/part. With deaths, there are usually multiple injuries and the primary body part affected is often difficult to determine.

You might search the literature to see if anything is published by body region for motorcyclist deaths. I did a search using http://www.safetylit.org/ but did not see any articles surface on motorcyclist deaths by body part affected.

There are public use multiple-cause-of-death files that are available upon request if you wanted to analyze those data. If you are interested in requesting those files, let me know and I will put you in contact with one of my colleagues at the National Center for Health Statistics.

I am also checking one other resource to see if she knows of any published articles on this topic. I will let you know what I find out.

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

J. Lee Annest, Ph.D., M.S.

Director, Office of Statistics and Programming

National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, CDC

4770 Buford Hwy NE, MS - F64

Atlanta, GA 30341

Editor’s Note: So, while the CDC is now the federal government’s self-appointed expert, they can not answer the simplest of questions, on which their studies should have been based.

We have seen this before and will continue to see it in the future. They are banking on an old adage that - if you tell a lie enough times, the public will soon begin to believe it as truth.

As you well know, the CDC is not the first government agency to pull such a dirty trick. We have seen that from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) for years. The quote from the NHTSA statistician, Umesh Shankar, was "yes, the numbers are inaccurate, but they are consistently inaccurate", or something very close to that.

They admit that their data is flawed but they continue to preach it as gospel.

Believe it folks, there is a big push for a federal helmet mandate coming our way as sure as the monsoon rains in Arizona.

Membership in ABATE of Arizona is soon going to be a necessity if we are to have half of a chance in defeating such a mandate in Arizona.

I urge all of our members to make the effort to recruit as many new members as possible in the coming months - like your freedom depended on it - BECAUSE IT DOES.

Although my feelings are that no one should be forced to wear a helmet, I think it is very foolish and irresponsible NOT to wear one...

My sentiments exactly, but I also like to add that we shouldnt preach at someone that chooses not to wear a helmet, it reminds me of the reformed smoker preaching that everyone else should quit also

Although my feelings are that no one should be forced to wear a helmet, I think it is very foolish and irresponsible NOT to wear one...

I have a couple put up to remind me of this. Have posted pics of them here. Should it be a choice?? I'm kind of torn on that anymore since I know if you go down that mellon is going to smack something!! Aer you going down?? I sure didn't think so.And wouldn't have if that crackheads pipe hadn't gone dry just as I wa passing his hiding place. Not in a great mood today so this could only go downhill. Wear what you want when you want. I dare anybody to complete my ride across their State Capitol NAKED!!Time for pills!!

Roll the way you roll However I have to say that I do not agree with the moron that was riding in front of me with a kid that could barely touch the passenger pegs, in shorts and no helmet. I myself would have a heck of a time dealing with the loss of my son or daughter because I dropped at a stop sign and they hit thier head on a curb or worse.

My view is we live in a country that doesn't want to be a third world country with people getting electricuted while riding on top of an electric rail car like India or have citizens drive with no regard for anything like parts of Mexico, etc.

I understand there's people out there that believe the government shouldn't intervene in their lives. But, that's not how are government works. We regulate to some degree everthing.

If the stats start showing to many senseless deaths then the government will intervene for those they feel don't have the common sense to make good decisions.

Options: 1) Deal with it, drawback for living in a county like ours.

2) Move to a third world country.

Do they take some things to far...maybe. But as long as people continue to make poor decisions they will continue to intervene.

I agree with helmets....especially in Canada where the taxpayer covers the medical bills.

If someone smokes and gets lung cancer or emphysema ...or rides without a helmet and sustains head injuries then they should have to pay extra insurance to cover their own medical expenses.

Why is it that almost universally everyone agrees that younger kids should wear a helmet for their own protection....but get up in arms when the gov't mandates helmets for OUR own protection?

DUH:doh:

Just my :2cents:

I guess we might as well require all elderly to wear a First Alert around there necks. Just think of the time saved when they fall and can't get up because they broke a hip or :stickpoke:Slipped on some wet ROCKS. Might even be handy on the bike.

" I've Dropped My Bike and Can't Get it UP ":rotf:

Hey where's the beer and popcorn :stirthepot:

Guest scarylarry

I have the popcorn but someone ran off with the beer....So if you will get the beer I will share the popcorn..

I guess we might as well require all elderly to wear a First Alert around there necks. Just think of the time saved when they fall and can't get up because they broke a hip or :stickpoke:Slipped on some wet ROCKS. Might even be handy on the bike.

" I've Dropped My Bike and Can't Get it UP ":rotf:

I can take a hint.........:backinmyday:

The helmet debate goes right along with the seatbelt laws. Big brother is going to take us from cradle to grave in a bubble so we never get our hair messed up. Every time I see someone on a bicycle with a helmet I laugh and wonder when we became such a country of sissies. Men went into battle in WWII with less armor than most wear on their motorcycle.

Stop looking at the close up view and stand back and take the 20,000 foot view. Why does the federal gov. care so much about your head? Because when they run all the insurance companies out of business and take over health care then they have to pay for your flattened mellon. That costs them money that they are planning to line their pockets with. Just how long do you think they are going to let us ride these "dangerous motorcycles"? Helmets now, one day our bikes will go away too!

The helmet debate goes right along with the seatbelt laws.!

WELL; since you brought it up..... I agree. Here the LEO's are running around like the dorks they actually are handing out tickets for no seat belt, when in all honesty who really gives a s--- whether or not I am wearing a stupid idiot strap. I don't believe in being tied in a vehicle and possibly in more danger because I can't get out after an accident. I think they look at it as a cash cow for the government..

:rant:

Although I really detest government, interferance with our rights and freedoms. I too believe in wearing helmets. It has been said that freedom should be limited, were it effects someone elses freedom. Sadly the discussion regarding helmets, seems to be centered around deaths but what about all those instances were death, has been evaded yet mental capacity severly damaged and that poor individual must live with a reduced mental capacity, ranging from needing various degrees of care, to being a totally incapacitated individual, requiring constant care and have become a burdan on someone else,s freedom and cost of living. I currantly have an uncle, a cousin and a close friend who fall into this catagory and whose family's are strapped with having to care for them for the rest of their lives. The individuals family's have lost their freedom, because the above three chose to excersize the freedom, to ride without helmets. As well, the additional cost of caring for them is reflected in our insurance and health care costs. I know the last statment sounds a little cold, I don't mean it to be but it is an unavoidable fact.

Edited by saddlebum

Everyone knows If you pull a DUI, that doesn't even involve a wreck or any physical damage, your rates will go thru the roof. :mo money:

Progressive has a device you place in your car that takes a "snapshot " of your driving for a possible discount.

PEIA offers a discount for being a non-smoker(that way they didn't technically increase the rates for smoker). If you buy that, I have some land for sale...LOL

PEIA also wants to offer discounts if you prepare a living will...

Soon they will ask if you wear a helmet...

Soon they will ask if you wear seatbelts...

Soon they will ask if you talk or text on a non-hands free phone......

The health care costs in this country are spiarling out of control. Saw a program that said 10% of US companies will drop health care entirely within the next year.

Like I said before: if we as a people cannot logically make some common sense decisions... Others (insurance companies/GOV/lawyers) will force theirs upon us.:backinmyday:

Individuals who smoke probably know by now that smoking is a serious health risk. I don't need to tell them that. Folks who ride without a helmet probably know what will happen in even a minor accident when their head hits something. I don't need to tell them that either. Making the argument that we all will share in their increased health care costs for dangerous/unhealthful behavior opens the gate to a mighty slippery slope. Tying behavior to health care costs allows the government to regulate almost all behavior from drinking sodas (See New York city), to what we eat, wear, ride, drive. This list could be endless. For myself, I really do not want that intimate of a relationship with my government. As an adult, I want to be able to make my own choices and live with the consequences, both good and bad, of those choices.

Guest scarylarry

Soon they will ask if you talk or text on a non-hands free phone.......

Coming to town near you, if you are in a wreck and they pull your phone and you are texting you will NOT be covered..

That is coming in the future for Ins policies according to my agent at Farm Bureau..

He did say it ain't kids it is adults too...

I MYSELF think texting and driving should be treated like a DUI...Riding a lot at night I see more lane weavers and you know what they are doing cause you can see that bright phone light in the car...

Although I really detest government, interferance with our rights and freedoms. I too believe in wearing helmets. It has been said that freedom should be limited, were it effects someone elses freedom. Sadly the discussion regarding helmets, seems to be centered around deaths but what about all those instances were death, has been evaded yet mental capacity severly damaged and that poor individual must live with a reduced mental capacity, ranging from needing various degrees of care, to being a totally incapacitated individual, requiring constant care and have become a burdan on someone else,s freedom and cost of living. I currantly have an uncle, a cousin and a close friend who fall into this catagory and whose family's are strapped with having to care for them for the rest of their lives. The individuals family's have lost thier freedom, because the above three chose to excersize the freedom, to ride without helmets. As well, the additional cost of caring for them is reflected in our insurance and health care costs. I know the last statment sounds a little cold, I don't mean it to be but it is an unavoidable fact.

That about covers it. Having been down myself I have my own thoughts but I ain't pissed nobody off in a while (I don't think) so I'll just stay in my corner....with my FullFace!!

I am pro helmet since I have had several crashes where the helmet probably saved my life. However, I do understand the pleasure of riding without a helmet as I did for a good part of my Sturgis 2008 trip out west.

But, most of all I just don't want to end up like Gary Bussey.:12101:

Here's the problem, I agree they ( the goverment ) should not have to make it a law not to ride without a helmet, not to work in a work zone without a hard hat, not to text while driving, not to drink and drive, not to speed in school zones or in towns. But a lot of people don't have common sense, freedom isn't doing anything you want. Laws are made to protect the many from the few.