IGNORED

If you need a diaphragm fixed......

And you're in a pinch.......

This should get you by for a while.

I've done this a few times to help others out, including the ones in my carbs that were done before we knew about the availability from SCI. It works and has held up well for about 20,000 miles on my '84.

But here is what got me started again today. I've known I was pushing my luck on the treated diaphragms I did on mine several years ago. I ordered a set of SD1 x4 diaphragms a couple weeks ago from SCI but they were out of stock with a 4 to 6 week wait before they came in. It was running ok but getting hard to start again so I figured I'd change the plugs before I take off on another road trip. So I got the plugs in and it started fine like it does with fresh fire. But..... it felt a little off. Not quite right. So as long as I had the plastic off I pulled the diaphragm covers to take a look.

Dang! Not cool.

I found two diaphrams with holes in them. Not biggies but enough to cause problems. First pics show what I found. I'm not fixing that. I had spare sliders and diaphragms from another set of carbs. They were set aside long ago as they did have some tiny pinholes in a couple and I didn't need to mess with them at the time.

So, here is what I have done, again, until the SCI SD1's come in.

Cut down the top of a milk bottle so the hole is large enough to drop in the slider to protect it and the needle from any over spray from the Plasti Dip Spray. Tape off the plastic ring on the outside of the slider. It don't need to be sprayed.

Wash the diaphragms down with alcohol to clean them up and let it dry. Give them a light coat of Plasti Dip Spray and let them sit for about a half hour and give them another light coat. They say it needs 4 hours to dry but I'd give them more than that.

I didn't want to let it get too heavy as they still need to be flexible. They actually seem to soak up the spray and feel more flexible than they did in the beginning.

But they cured and back into the carbs they went. Fired right up and idled fine and a quick sync brought them right on line. I'd done a sync this spring so apparently the rips were recent.

But like I said, it's a fix. A pretty durable fix from the miles I've put on the bike since the first time I did this put if you need to get by.... for the cost of a can of Plasti Dip, it's a good one.

I might try the Liquid Electrical Tape on the rips and a coat of of Plasti Dip to see if that holds up. Never hurts to know you can at least get home when you're in a bind.

Still looking forward to the new ones. Got to be a bigger improvement over the repair.

So there ya go.

Mike

Now what you going to do with all the tape you sprayed up so nicely.

It's reusable....

Cleans cat hair off shirt. :whistling:

Patch bald spot on cat. :crackup:

Stick on my foot so the hole in my socks don't show. :smile5:

Patch an inner tube. (maybe not?}:doh:

Marks on wall to align headlight. :biker:

Toss it in the kindling box. :scratchchin:

Tape neighbor kids mouth shut. :buttkick:

Patch the milk jug so I can use the rest the milk.:eek:

See... I'm learning to go green.

Mike

It's reusable....

Cleans cat hair off shirt. :whistling:

Stick on my foot so the hole in my socks don't show. :smile5:

Patch an inner tube. (maybe not?}:doh:

Marks on wall to align headlight. :biker:

Toss it in the kindling box. :scratchchin:

Tape neighbor kids mouth shut. :buttkick:

Patch the milk jug so I can use the rest the milk.:eek:

See... I'm learning to go green.

Mike

There is ONE really good use for that tape, and you mentioned it, but now I forgot which one it was.:think::happy65:

Somehow suggested uses for tape and Carl and his many comments seems to be a no brainer!

:stickpoke:

That's what I specialize in. No Brain! But keep in mind it's Special Tape. It's prepainted!

Limited quantities available if you order now.

Maybe I should go air out the gargage. Must be the fumes. :stirthepot:

The Plasti-dip works good but the Liquid Tape I tried would dissolve when gas hit it.

Good to know for sure. I've used Plasti Dip on tools for year and it held up very well. I was surpised at the durability of it on the diaphragms.

I wanted try the Liquid Tape for patching small rips but but if it's breaking down under gas or oil it's not worth the time and trouble.

Thanks

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
If Y'all would buy a modern bike you wouldn't have to McGiever things ! You could actually go to a bike shop and BUY replacement parts ! :doh: :whistling:

OR... You need to go see your Gynecologist :rotfl::rotfl:

:duck:

But who wants to ride a SLOW HARDLEY Look alike???

• 4 weeks later...

The last time I fixed a leaky diaphragm on a CV carb, I used blue gasket grade silicone. I think this was on my 84 Ninja. Paint on a very very thin layer with a modified acid brush. Take the acid brush and cut the hairs to half of its original length. This makes the brush firmer so you can spread the silicone thinner.

I also used this method to repair the diaphragm in a lawn mower fuel pump.