IGNORED

Radar Detector use...and a Cover for it

Miles

My question is...how many of you riders use a Radar Detector on your bikes? And secondly...do you use a Radar Detector COVER on it, to protect it from the weather?

I am NOT looking for opinions as to which detector to use, and which cover is best. I simply would like to ask...do you use a radar detector, and if so...do you have a cover for it, OTHER than a plastic ziplock baggy. I mean....a real world custom made...serious duty cover made to protect your $ 400.00 + radar detector????:detective:

I am going somewhere with this, so I ask you to please just bear this out, and let's see what the numbers are. If you want...go to the VR poll pages, and answer there.

On my 83, I mounted my detector on the front brake master cylinder with velcro. When the weather got nasty, I just put it away. I haven't installed it on the 89, but I've been thinking of it. I used it for a car trip last week, and it did alert me a time or two.

Frank D.

Pretty much by the time those things go off, they already got you. Stay within 5 over the limit and you don't need one.

Pretty much my way of thinking as well. Only I keep about 7-8 over. I've gotten pulled over several times for speeding over the years. All but three times I deserved it.

Here's the last detector I owned. I was huge and it went off at just about anything. A lot of things gave off signals that could set it off, even building alarm systems. Got rid of it and never got one again. To expensive to keep up with the ever changing technology. Both in radars and detectors.

Friend of mine built mine, haven't used it, it has three color leds, basically the colors for chp are Red, and white. Red for KA, and White for K band, those are the two that they use, I also got a sensor bar to detect laser, useless tho.

There's yellow, and the lights can blend one another. Other lights can go off for the other thans, but I ignore em.

Yes, I do use a radar detector and no, it does not have a cover on it as it is mounted in the vent hole.

When one of you guys get a ticket because an SUV a quarter mile behind you was speeding, you will wish you had a detector so you could be absolutely sure how fast you were going, not that it will matter to most cops or judges.

I may run five or so over and mine has warned me many times when I needed to know.

RandyA

I got a Liberty Motorcycle Radar Detector. Made around 1992. Been on the bike every since and apparently still works.

The HP boys in Ohio and Illinois checked it out for me. :whistling:

The main unit is mounted the the right fairing and has a remote control head that I mounted in the right dash vent. It's wired into my helmet audio.