IGNORED

Clutch help?

sarges46

I am just throwing this out there. My clutch seems to be slipping just a little bit. Now it is too late for ordering and replacing at this stage before we begin our journey east.

I was wondering if I somehow got a hold of one if I could get it changed out at the International and would there be anyone willing to help? Can this be done there?

I do pull a camper so I expect that if its slipping a little now it may become alot worse by the time our trip is done.

Feed back is greatly appreciated!

Check out Sky Doc's add on the classified section, contact him and see what he can do in short order. It can be done while the bike is on the side stand , you do not even have to drain the oil, just remove the cover and the clutch plates and reinstall. Note: The new friction plates need to be soaked in engine oil over night before installing.

We had a similar issue with an '05 at our trip to St. George in mid-June.

One thought was that the reservoir was overfilled and with the heat and possible water absorption, the fluid was expanding and partially releasing the clutch.

When we opened the reservoir, the fluid was almost black!!

We removed the fluid in the reservoir, and bled the line to the slave cylinder until all the fluid in the line was clear and clean. No more slippage.

This step is the cheapest and easiest to accomplish. It's a good place to start.

Dave

I am just throwing this out there. My clutch seems to be slipping just a little bit. Now it is too late for ordering and replacing at this stage before we begin our journey east.

I was wondering if I somehow got a hold of one if I could get it changed out at the International and would there be anyone willing to help? Can this be done there?

I do pull a camper so I expect that if its slipping a little now it may become alot worse by the time our trip is done.

Feed back is greatly appreciated!

I will be at Int. Rally and can assist you changing clutch.

Gary

With pulling a trailer and the clutch already slipping, the clutch may be completely gone before you get to the rally. What may right now be just a fluid change or a spring change could end up being a full clutch replacement on the side of the road. (still a simple job if you have the tools and parts)

If the clutch does go out completely then you will also have to do several quick oil and filter changes to get all of the burnt clutch crap out of the engine.

As mentioned I would start by checking the fluid in the clutch reservoir. That can be changed or lowered as required and still give time to order and get parts shipped today if they are needed.

If you are going to go for limping to the rally, make sure you have some member phone numbers with you for possible roadside assistance. Even better would be to have all of the necessary parts with you just in case.

Rick,

All good advise here, if you have the means, or an extra clutch spring, I would do a double spring on the clutch. Do a complete fluid change as this will help too. You can do the clutch in about 30 minutes on the sidestand when you get to NY....:2cents:

Rick,

What everyone has said about how easy it is is very true. I just did the clutch job on my RSTD last week. It was literally so easy, I thought there should've been more work to it. I ordered the kit from Skydoc. Get in touch with him, he is super helpful.

Good luck.

In addition to the fluid change, something else you can do---seeing that you are pulling a trailer, your clutch has more load on it, and it will be more inclined to slip. If you ride in 4th gear instead of 5th, this will decrease the load on the clutch. Also, limit how much throttle you apply. We all like the way these bikes run at full throttle, but with a weak clutch and a trip you want to go on, be easy on it and the last of your clutch will last a lot longer.

Frank D.

Hey Rick,

The two kits linked below will basically give you a new, better than stock clutch set up.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3763&title=second-genheavy-duty-clutch-spring-upgrade-kit-21&cat=22

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3854&title=first-and-second-gen7-new-genuine-yamaha-clutch-friction-discs-21&cat=22

I would gladly ship these kits to one of the New York VR.ORG Members so the kits would be there for you during your visit.

As of this writing, I plan to attend the International this year Rick, but there is a pretty good chance that I might be moving to a new location during the time of the rally. I would be more than happy to personally install these clutch kits for you if I do attend the International.

I am sure that there will be many members there that can help you with the install. The important thing is to have the kits there to affect the install.

It would be my pleasure to help you with this project!:thumbsup2:

Ok Earl!

Lets make this happen. I have an offer of a garage at a members place. But if I can get er done at the rally that is better I guess. Let me know what I need to do to get you the money and I will make a decision on where to send the parts.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Earl (skydoc) is sending the complete kit to bongobobny and Bob will bring it to the international.

Now to recruit some watchers while I attempt to put this thing together when we get there!

We will be at the campground....dang can't remember the name!

Just look for the blue bike with a good looking gal working on it! That be Marilyn....my mechanic and bestest love.

BTW....the 25th is our 20th anniversary and this trip is just part of our month long venture to celebrate those years without her killing me deader than a possum on the freeway!