IGNORED

Need help Lowering the Front end

I'm NOT the most mechanically inclined, but can do a lot if I've seen it done once before.

The problem: I've been following the directions and have finally gotten the front fairing off (one allen bolt on my passing lights was stripped and I I had a lot of trouble getting it off, but did get it off).

NOW THE PROBLEM: the directions say I need to take the back side of the fairing loose. It mentions two 12 mm nuts that need removal from behind the headlight 5 mm allen head screws beside the head light. Does anyone out there have any pics of these locations and the nuts and screws in question. Either I'm nuts or something, but for the life of me I can't figure this part out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve:bang head:

I am not much of a mechanic myself, but Obber and Kinkywinks lowered the front end on Kinkywinks bike. I don't know if they took pictures, but I am thinking they can help you out when they are on line.

I am planning on lowering my front end also, if I find any pics I will let you know.

Steve,

The 12mm nuts are down under the cassette player and you can barely see them looking down over the headlight. In fact you will need to remove the headlight and this will take care of the right (facing the headlight) 5mm allen. There is one on the other side just like it. I've attached a pdf of the parts fiche for the cowling. The numbers you are looking for are #5 for the 5mm allen and #6 for the 12mm nut that goes on the stud located under the #2 pan headed allen. You will need a long extension to get to the 12mm nuts.

Hope this helps,

Rick

• 2 months later...

I'm working on lowering my front end too, along with adding passing lamps, and Baron's handlebar risers. I have the windshield off, and the front half of the fairing off. The 2 nuts and bolts that hold the rear part of the fairing in place are off, so it is loose. It looks like I need to disconnect a lot of wiring to actually get the rear part of the fairing completely off the bike. Is this necessary, or can I accomplish the fork slide with the rear fairing still hanging there?? Maybe it's not that bad to disconnect the wiring, but it sure is tied off in a lot of places, and bundled up just so to get it all in there. What do you think?? Larry

You don't need to remove the back part of the fairing. Just move it forward out of the way so you can get the handle bars and upper clamp off. I put a short piece if 2X4 between the front of the frame and back fairing to keep it out of the way.

Jerry

Any idea how long it takes to lower the front end from start to finish, if you know what you are doing? Dont really want to try it myself and I am wondering what its going to cost me. Thanks Craig

Ditto.............I want to try this mod too, but am not confident enough in my abilities to try it alone. Anyone want to get together and try together???

Larry,

What you need is a Sky Hook. Just kidding (just on the name) but seriously you need to suspend the entire fairing and handlebars to get them up and out of the way. I have a eye-bolt in my ceiling that I use two sets of tie downs. One to lift the fairing and the second to hold the handlebars. Once you have the headlight off and the 2 12mm nuts off you can pull it loose and pull it up. I've attached a couple of pictures of this contraption along with a few others of when I last did one.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Nathan,

I just looked at your photo and for someone your size, you need to install leveling links rather than lower the front end?

This mod is only for the inseamed challenged, who wants a good handling bike. You will loose a little ground clearance by lowering the front but it will level the bike and set the attitude for better handling.

Rick

Nathan,

I just looked at your photo and for someone your size, you need to install leveling links rather than lower the front end?

This mod is only for the inseamed challenged, who wants a good handling bike. You will loose a little ground clearance by lowering the front but it will level the bike and set the attitude for better handling.

Rick

Thanks:thumbsup2:..............but i am only 5'8". I have added weight:confused24: in the last year or 2 and that makes me look bigger in the pics, but I really am short:rotfl:

I have shaved the seat and that helped, but am still not flat footing the bike yet. I have gotten used to it and that is really not a problem now, but I like the idea of this mod to improve the handling because I will not be able handle the leveling links.

Rick:

Looking at your pictures, that looks like a good idea, but I don't seem to have much slack in the cables. I don't think I could get the fairing and handlebars that far out of the way. I was out looking at the whole thing again, and although there are a lot of wires, they appear to go pretty much, maybe all, to big plugs. I could probably cut a couple of cable ties, unplug the plugs, and get the whole thing off of there. Maybe cutting the ties is the key, get some extra slack?? While the bars are off, I'm putting in Barons risers as well.

You commented to Nathan about this being a mod for the inseam challenged, but I'm interested in the reported improved handling of raising the rear, but do not want the bike any taller, even though I'm 6'2". The bike is pretty new to me, and still feels big and heavy to me, so talk of improved handling and lower center-of-gravity are of interest to me. My previous bike was a Honda Shadow 1100, about 250# lighter. Big difference, at least to me. Thanks for the info and pictures. I'll dig into it again tomorrow.

I did this modification of lowering the bike on the forks the 1" and add the risers at the same time.. I used a rolled up towel to hold the fairing out from the bike, and used the overhead hook to support the handlebars during the job. In my case the bolts that hold the fairing to the triple tree were a problem.. They are button head allen bolts and one was very tight.. So I stripped the head trying to get it out.. Getting a replacement wasn't easy, and getting it out was a little harder still.. Some filing and muscle eventually worked.. and my local yam dealer ordered the bolt for me.. Also sliding the fork up in the clamp was a bit difficult for me, others had no problem, but I put some wood under the front wheel and let off the jack a small amount and the fork slid just fine.. I am very pleased with the results. And despite the few hic-ups would do it again..

Okay, for those of you who have done this mod, how many have gone with the narrower front tire as well? Opinions on the combination.

I just realized that the PO of my bike did this very thing and it has the narrower front tire on it as well. Wonder if I should switch back to the regular size tire.

I've thought about raising the front end back up and adding the leveling links as well but I'm, kind of, a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda guy.

I did this a few months ago and can say it was the best mod I have ever done. I'm not vertically challenged, I'm 6'1" with a 34 inseam, and tried the leveling links but that also raises the center of gravity on the bike. Makes it want to fall over even easier on tight slow turns. Lowering the front so the bike sits level front to back just about cured it and I have no ground clearance issues. Start to finish was less than an hour and that was with having to go back and print the directions. I used a bungee cord to hold the fairing out of the way which worked fine. I will say when following the directions it appears that there is a step missing. There was something I had to undo to get the fairing loose that wasn't mentioned in the directions but I can't remember off the top of my head what it was. Take your time, cover your tank and loosen up the wires as much as possible. Besides disconnecting them all I had to release a few ties also. Good luck with it.

You guys that did both the front end lower and the Baron risers---did you have any trouble with the throttle cables and clutch hose being too short?? The sky hook thing worked for me, and i got the mod done, but the throttle cables are plenty snug when locked to the right, and so is the clutch hose. I re-routed a couple wire cables, and that helped the throttle cables, but the clutch hose still creaks and stretches a bit when I turn hard right. Everything seems to work, but????? Anybody else have this problem? I may take the risers back out and try it that way. It didn't occur to me that by lowering the front end, the handlebars move up and closer to the rider, so the risers may be overkill for me. It would sure be nice if it would quit snowing, so I could go try her out as modified. I haven't turned a wheel since early Nov. Larry

You guys that did both the front end lower and the Baron risers---did you have any trouble with the throttle cables and clutch hose being too short?? The sky hook thing worked for me, and i got the mod done, but the throttle cables are plenty snug when locked to the right, and so is the clutch hose. I re-routed a couple wire cables, and that helped the throttle cables, but the clutch hose still creaks and stretches a bit when I turn hard right. Everything seems to work, but????? Anybody else have this problem? I may take the risers back out and try it that way. It didn't occur to me that by lowering the front end, the handlebars move up and closer to the rider, so the risers may be overkill for me. It would sure be nice if it would quit snowing, so I could go try her out as modified. I haven't turned a wheel since early Nov. Larry

I would be interested in how the cables worked also, I have lowered the front end of my RSV and am thinking of ordering the Baron 1 1/2" extensions. It had not occured to me that lowering the front end might cause a problem with the cables and hoses when I intall the extensions.

Okay, for those of you who have done this mod, how many have gone with the narrower front tire as well? Opinions on the combination.

I just realized that the PO of my bike did this very thing and it has the narrower front tire on it as well. Wonder if I should switch back to the regular size tire.

I've thought about raising the front end back up and adding the leveling links as well but I'm, kind of, a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda guy.

I had the front down a 1/2 inch when I went to the narrower tire. It seemed a little too light to me and after about a week I took the drop back out of the front. I'm not sure just how much difference up or down with the narrow front but the tire change was a great improvement. I does feel a bit light tracking in the wind now but hasn't really been blown around anymore then before. Sure likes to turn. The bike is really a different animal now.

Jerry

Yes , my cables are tight. But full lock right or left, other than 'creaking' , hasn't been a problem.. Now , whether it's adding additional stress/wear on them I don't know.. Wish I could be more help. Just remembered one other item.. I removed the plastic cable guides that are attached to the handlebar , closest to the fairing. The ones up near the controls I left in place. This was suggested in another post about installing the Risers..