IGNORED

New Aux. Fuel Tank

I have just completed the test ride after the installation of my aux. fuel tank. All went perfect. Not a problem in sight...or hidden. Of course, I have done this a time or two before, as I have installed aux. fuel tanks on 11 previous bikes, so I kind of have experience doing this. However...this was my first time on a RSTD, so there is always something new...or things to learn.

We all know about the stock tank...nothing new there. And if the bike is ridden at a steady and quick pace, it can consume fuel a little faster than I want to have to stop. Therefore...add aux. fuel. The tank I bought is the 5 gallon tank from Tour Tanks. Here is the link to their site: http://www.tourtank.com/TourTanks.html

I am 100 % happy with the product, and the additional hardware kit that needs to be bought along with the tank. Everyhting is top notch, no junk here.

As you can see by the pictures, I ride a solo bike. In place of the rear seat is a leather rear fender bib, and on top of that is the Yamaha rear fender rack (in place of the rear seat. On top of that rack...I mount a 10" x 18" aluminum rack I got from Aerostich. Then I mounted the Saddlemen bag onto that aluminum rack. All of the leather(fake leather) bag and aluminum rack are through bolted to the yamaha rear fender rack, with 3/8" u-bolts (4 of them) so it is very solid. Then the Tour Tank slides down into the Saddlemen bag...with an extremely snug/tight fit. There is no way that fuel tank is coming out of that Saddlemen bag unless three of us tug with all of our might. The vent hose up next to the filler cap is routed up over the top and far edge of the tank, then down to one of the side pockets of the Saddlemen bag, where I have hidden a catch tank, with secondary vent to the outside of the catch tank.

The red petcock on the left side of the solo seat, attached to the yamaha chrome seat rail, works perfectly. I routed the fuel hose to a brass T-fitting that is spliced into the OEM fuel line about 4 inches above where the fuel filter is.

The tank I chose from Tour Tank is tank design # 2, meaning it has two exit bungs at the bottom of the tank, one at either end of the bottom of the tank, so that all fuel is drained from the tank, despite cornering.

I filled the tank with 2 gallons, filled my regular fuel tank up all the way, then went for a ride. I started out using only the aux. fuel tank, with the main tank turned off at the OEM petcock. The fuel from the aux. tank flowed perfectly, and after 82.7 miles I had used up the two gallongs I put in the aux. fuel tank, and had to switch fuel petcocks on the fly. Simply turned off the aux. fuel tank, and turned on the main fuel petcock, and after a moments hesitation, fuel was flowing again, and zoom...

This additional 5 gallon fuel tank "could" give me a total capacity of 10.3 gallons, however I will not fill the aux. fuel tank up all the way, so the max I will put in it is 4 gallons...just to be safe. Even with that additional 4 gallons, I now have a very useable 8.5 gallons, without any concerns for running low. With that capacity, I can run...at speed...for 350 to 400 miles. That is what I am used to, and this will now satisfy my need to go as far as I want to.

[ATTACH]68554[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68555[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68556[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68557[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68558[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68559[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68560[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68561[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68562[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68563[/ATTACH]

Take a look at the pictures. If you have any questions, let me know. And to answer the one burning question...my wife rides her own bikes...all set up as solo seat bikes, so I don't need to carry a passenger. Want to give your wife or girlfriend the greatest gift you can...give them the gift of empowerment, by having them ride their own bikes.:bighug:

Nice set up. Any reason you didnt use braided steel line? I have tried to get the wife to ride her own a few times. She just aint interested. She likes riding along playing games on the phone in the interstates and just looking at sceenery on backroads. At least she like to ride this bike.

djh3, I did not use any stainless braided lines to begin with, until I fully tested the system, and proofed it all. Sometime this Winter, when we are covered in snow (hopefully), I will most likely change out all the fuel lines to the stainless braided lines, most for show than protection. The way I have them routed, all the fuel lines are well protected.

As for your wife playing games on her phone...when riding on the Interstates...next time she does that, turn around with your left elbow, accidently hitting the phone, knock it out of her hands, it goes bouncing down the road, and she now has to watch the scenary go by as you ride.:080402gudl_prv:

IMHO, cell phones are good for one thing...making phone calls, when the car or bike is stopped. Whoever invented playing games on cell phones, or even online, or the Play stations...obviously did not ride motorcycles.

:whistling:

Funny you should mention it bouncing down the road. Back in 07 when we got the Kawasaki and we took a trip up to NC on it I told her she needed a leash on it if she thought she was using it while on the bike. So we salvaged one off a camera we had around. Been on there ever since. I dont mind on the slabs, but man when you got hills and trees and rivers, screw the games.

IMHO, cell phones are good for one thing...making phone calls, when the car or bike is stopped. Whoever invented playing games on cell phones, or even online, or the Play stations...obviously did not ride motorcycles.:whistling:

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

I like the setup. I'm not sure I'm up for the Iron Butt rides you make though.

I presume this article is about you? (no Miles was the previous record holder)

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/608/3739/Motorcycle-Article/Yamaha-FJR-Sets-Continent-Crossing-Record.aspx

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36308

Edited by RandyR
not Miles

Brake Pad, those articles are very interesting, and I applaud John Ryan for his rides, but that is not me.

I did own an FJR1300, and had just about the same number of miles on it that JR has on his, but I eventually sold it.

My ride from PB to KW was done on a 2004 Honda Varadero 1000, shipped in from Frankfurt, Germany to Fairbanks.

John Ryan beat my record, and he is the current record holder.

While I have ridden to Prudhoe Bay a few times, including doing it on a 2003 Wing, I decided to never do it on a street touring bike again, and stick to dual sport bikes for that ride. The Haul Road can be hard on bikes.

Edited by Miles

Heres a pic of a Honda Varadero 1000. I wasn't familiar with the model.

The ride from Prudhoe is quite a feat. I had a brother who worked part of the year in Coldfoot for several years, and he had some interesting stories.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tx2sturgis

Thats a very neat install. One of the best I have ever seen. Looks like you are toting a big lunchbox, no one would think its a gas tank from 10 feet away.

Very cool.

Along with a 400 mile range...do you have a 400 mile backside?

I gotta give you the props dude. Thats some impressive miles on a bike.

:happy34:

Thats a very neat install. One of the best I have ever seen. Looks like you are toting a big lunchbox, no one would think its a gas tank from 10 feet away.

Very cool.

Along with a 400 mile range...do you have a 400 mile backside?

I gotta give you the props dude. Thats some impressive miles on a bike.

tx2sturgis, thanks for the props. In answer to your question, I do indeed have the backside for this fuel range. The other day I "tried" the Ultimate seat on my '06 RSMTD. It was an immediate failure. It would not work for me. If it works for other riders, great for them, and I hope they ride many miles in comfort. Since the Ultimate seat did not work, I already have an appointment with Russell Day-Long Saddles to make a new seat for me...and it will be my 10th Russell saddle.

So, my butt can handle it, if I have the right seat, and enough fuel.

Edited by Miles

.in May, 1998 I rode 2156 miles in under 24 hours, in an IBA sponsored event called the Big Bang Rally out of Ely, NV. The bike I rode was a 1994 GL-1500, with 14.8 gallons of fuel on board, and two 32 oz. nitrous bottles. I beat the second place rider by 224 miles. Despite being an IBA event, there was no fuel limitation on this ride.

OK....First let me say I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt....BUT.....

I wondered about this because you would have had to AVERAGE over 90 mph for each of the "under" 24 hours. Unless you are on a track how is that possible?

That got me to wondering so I did a bunch of reading because The thought of these marathon rides is intriguing.

On his profile on the IBA web site, Iron Butt Association President, Michael Kneebone is noted as "setting the 24 hour endurance record of 1,704 miles in 24 hours" yet you claim to beat that by over 450 miles.

Here is a link to the Guiness world record holder.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records-2000/greatest-distance-on-a-motorcycle-in-24-hours-(individual)/

In case the link isn't working...it says...

"The longest distance riding a motorcycle in 24 hours is 3,249.9 km (2,019.4 miles) and was achieved by L. Russell "Rusty" Vaughn (USA) at the Continental Tire Test Track, Uvalde, Texas, USA, between 9 and 10 August 2011.

Mr. Vaughn used his own personal 2010 Harley-Davidson FLHTK Electra-Glide Limited for the attempt and completed 238 laps of the test track.

But you beat that distance by 139 miles!

Another site is called "World Record Academy"

here's the link to the site:

http://www.worldrecordsacademy.org/travel/greatest_distance_on_motorcycle_in_24_hours-world_record_set_by_Omar_Al_Mamari_90263.htm

Again...in case the link doesn't work.....

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Greatest Distance on Motorcycle in 24 Hours-world record set by Omar Al Mamari

MUSCAT, Sultanate of Oman -- Omar Al Mamari, 36, drove on his Honda CBR 1100 bike from the Oman Automobile Association premises in Muscat to the city of Salalah which is 1031 kms south (640.634 miles) and returned back the same way averaging a speed of 94.1 km and covering a total of 2062 kms ( 1281.267 Miles) in 24 hours-setting the world record for the Greatest Distance on Motorcycle in 24 Hours (individual).

I agree this doesn't seem like all that great a record! but again...you claim 875 miles more

So....I"m sorry....but again....I have to call BS!

Edited by Trader
to add math

OK....First let me say I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt....BUT.....

I wondered about this because you would have had to AVERAGE over 90 mph for each of the "under" 24 hours. Unless you are on a track how is that possible?

That got me to wondering so I did a bunch of reading because The thought of these marathon rides is intriguing.

On his profile on the IBA web site, Iron Butt Association President, Michael Kneebone is noted as "setting the 24 hour endurance record of 1,704 miles in 24 hours" yet you claim to beat that by over 450 miles.

Here is a link to the Guiness world record holder.

www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records-2000/greatest-distance-on-a-motorcycle-in-24-hours-(individual)/

In case the link isn't working...it says...

"The longest distance riding a motorcycle in 24 hours is 3,249.9 km (2,019.4 miles) and was achieved by L. Russell "Rusty" Vaughn (USA) at the Continental Tire Test Track, Uvalde, Texas, USA, between 9 and 10 August 2011.

Mr. Vaughn used his own personal 2010 Harley-Davidson FLHTK Electra-Glide Limited for the attempt and completed 238 laps of the test track.

But you beat that distance by 139 miles!

Another site is called "World Record Academy"

here's the link to the site:

http://www.worldrecordsacademy.org/travel/greatest_distance_on_motorcycle_in_24_hours-world_record_set_by_Omar_Al_Mamari_90263.htm

Again...in case the link doesn't work.....

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Greatest Distance on Motorcycle in 24 Hours-world record set by Omar Al Mamari

MUSCAT, Sultanate of Oman -- Omar Al Mamari, 36, drove on his Honda CBR 1100 bike from the Oman Automobile Association premises in Muscat to the city of Salalah which is 1031 kms south (640.634 miles) and returned back the same way averaging a speed of 94.1 km and covering a total of 2062 kms ( 1281.267 Miles) in 24 hours-setting the world record for the Greatest Distance on Motorcycle in 24 Hours (individual).

I agree this doesn't seem like all that great a record! but again...you claim 875 miles more

So....I"m sorry....but again....I have to call BS!

I to was wundering how one could ride or drive over 2000 miles in under 24 hours? they would have to average 83 mph none stop. Where in North America could you possibly do this? other then a track.

im not part of IBA and have not boasted about a run i made 2187 miles in 21 hrs. it can be done i know i have done it and you need to think outside the box like what speed limit and 2187 was the mi. on the odom. done on a 90 honda shadow 1100

Nice install, just like the one I run on my Venture. It is really nice and easy to plumb into these bikes.

Are you using a barf tank for your overflow or just running it on the ground (I run mine on the ground)? How did you tie in the electrical ground?

Here are some pics of my setup. The pic near the petcock shows where the line plumbs in. It is capped in the picture. It works great.

RR

Red Rider, I am using a puke tank. It is mounted inside the right side exterior pocket. I ran the vent hose from the vent nipple just under the fuel filler cap, down slightly, then back over top the fuel tank, then exited the Saddlemen bag just above the right side pocket, and then back into the right side pocket, where the puke tank is. The vent hose goes down into the puke tank about 2 inches. Then...I have a second hose that vents the puke tank. That hose it located at the top of the puke tank, and the exterior routing of that house is simply laid on top of the puke tank. It allows the puke tank to vent, but will not allow any fuel that possibly vented into the puke tank to get out.

Guest tx2sturgis

Besides the speeds that need to be maintained, there is another 'hidden' fact:

Some of these IBA riders have been known to use stimulants.

Ok...maybe thats not really a secret, if you count caffeine, but I was referring to stronger stimulants.

Nuff of that.

I have a friend who has done a couple of those IBA events, and he invited me. I said nope, its too much like what I do for a living: Drive in a hurry from point A to point B, keep receipts, no time to sightsee, and when your done, turn in the proof that you did the job.

Except that in the case of IBA, you are NOT getting paid to do all that!

But I do acknowledge the fact that lots of riders love to do this stuff....and because of them, motorcycle riders have a few choices on the market that might not otherwise be there, including auxiliary fuel tanks, high power auxiliary lighting, and oh yeah, bladder buddys.

http://www.bladderbuddy.com/about.html

Trader, and others...I have been reminded by a few others on this forum that are also IBA members that "WE" do not like to post in writing anywhere our speeds, or times, or distances done, as it brings a negative light on the IBA riders and community.

It is unfortunate that I even needed to be reminded. My big mouth and ego got me into this, and then I was goaded into providing even more info. I should not have opened my mouth to begin with.

I have sent all this original info to Trader in a PM, and he can verify if he wishes to, or not. If he does chose to verify my claims, I will know if he did, because someone at the IBA will be telling me they were contacted.

One last thing, and then I am done with this.

One of you folks just posted that "some" riders in the IBA do these riders while using stimulants...and they even said...other than caffeine. I have to take exception to that.

As far as I know, with my 28 years of history as a member of the IBA...the taking of any kind of stimulant...including caffeine...is strictly forbidden in the IBA. I do not know of anyone in the IBA that uses any kind of drug to stimulate themselves, or to stay awake on these rides. I cannot state for a fact that it has never happened, but I will state that in 28 years I have never seen nor heard of it happening. We make it a very strong point that the rider be mentally alert, without the use of chemical aids.

As example of how picky we are is that...in an extreme case of emergency need...a rider "may" actually drink a Mountain Dew, which contains a lot of caffiene, just to get themselves to a safe location, and stop for the night. We do all that we can to avoid drinks like coffee, tea, and soda pops, because they are also diuretics, which cause the rider to have to urinate more than normal.

Long distance/endurance riding is a very pure sport/lifestyle, in that it challenges the rider and his or her machine against the clock and distance to push themselves to be better riders. The ability to do this is involves a lot of science, as to how to maintain the riders body, their mind, their bikes, etc. It is important to know when to stop...so that we can go even further when we have refreshed ourselves.

BUT hey, this forum is supposed to be about Venture/Royal Star bikes...not about the IBA. My original post was about the fuel cell I added to my bike. Can we talk about that kind of stuff, and not about the IBA ?

Edited by Miles

+1 on lack of stimulants. While some folks trying to make their first SS1000 may use stimulants, any of the serious LD riders will actually wean themselves off coffee a couple of months prior to a serious LD ride.

Stimulants are frowned upon and strongly discouraged by the LD folks. If you can't do the ride, stop and sleep. We recognize it isn't THAT important to get another certificate or piece of trophy wood.

OK, back to the regularly scheduled program.

RR

Guest tx2sturgis

Sorry for the thread diversion, and no disrespect is intended toward anyone.

But if a person will knowingly break one set of laws, (speed limits) whats the difference if they break another set of laws?

I only said 'some' riders have used stimulants. If thats only a handful, then thats 'some'. I doubt the IBA has many members you would call 'addicts' or 'users'...those people, generally speaking, spend money on the drugs, not on motorcycles.

But I'm wondering if the IBA began to enforce pre- and post-trip drug tests, would some of the riders have a problem with that?

I have just completed the test ride after the installation of my aux. fuel tank. All went perfect.

I like your install much better than mine:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7242/6901574134_1c7e720c7d.jpg

On my first ride with it, my rear tire blew and I went down after safely making it to the shoulder. The luggage rack "broke" when the bike hit the ground. I was using it as this method so that I could easily ride with my wife on trailer trips. I think it is smarter to just carry the pillion set up in the trailer and trade it with the fender set up (like yours).

One thing I learned on the ride though, is that I can start with the main tank running. When I get to a tick below full, I opened the tourtank and let it backfill the main tank. I did that a few times until the maintank no longer backfilled, then let them both drain together. Worked really well and I didn't have to hit the reserve pitcock and never had a lack of fuel. Just an option.

But I'm wondering if the IBA began to enforce pre- and post-trip drug tests, would some of the riders have a problem with that?

That is rather insulting, to infer that I cannot ride 18 hours without benefit of illegal drugs. Would you have a problem if whatever organization you belong to installed a breathalyzer on your bike? You know, some bar hoppers have been known to drink before riding. I guess you do too.

Too, it would be a logistical problem. I leave at 4AM... what drug lab is open then? Or which is open at 11PM when I get in?

Finally, the problem is riding while impaired. Impairment can easily be caused by over tiredness. Or talking on the cellphone. Or needing to pee really badly.

The short answer is, yes, I would have a problem with that. I don't need another nanny in my life.

Dave

Guest tx2sturgis

That is rather insulting, to infer that I cannot ride 18 hours without benefit of illegal drugs. Would you have a problem if whatever organization you belong to installed a breathalyzer on your bike? You know, some bar hoppers have been known to drink before riding. I guess you do too.

Too, it would be a logistical problem. I leave at 4AM... what drug lab is open then? Or which is open at 11PM when I get in?

Finally, the problem is riding while impaired. Impairment can easily be caused by over tiredness. Or talking on the cellphone. Or needing to pee really badly.

The short answer is, yes, I would have a problem with that. I don't need another nanny in my life.

Dave

Again, no disrespect intended. I'm not here to argue the point either way, Im FOR the right to pursue this sport, not against it.

But some riders will use stimulants, (even if its only a shot of 5-hour) and wont be bragging about it during a post on the IBA website or during the local Sunday ride.

And any decent sized town will usually have a 24 hour lab at the Emergency Center of the local hospital. They only collect the dual-specimens, they dont normally analyze it in-house, they send the samples to the nearest full-service lab the next day. You have the results in a few days to a week.

But my point was not that IBA riders should be tested Dave, my point was that IF drug testing was announced as a mandatory requirement, (as it is in lots of other sports and careers), I'm guessing some riders would exclude themselves from the activity. The ones who are left in the sport, would be certified as clean.

Its a THOUGHT experiment..nothing more...I dont want another incursion on the sport of motorcycling either!

And out of respect to the OP...I wont respond further on the hijacked content in this thread, which is to some degree my fault.

Ride safe.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Sorry for the thread diversion, and no disrespect is intended toward anyone.

But if a person will knowingly break one set of laws, (speed limits) whats the difference if they break another set of laws?

I only said 'some' riders have used stimulants. If thats only a handful, then thats 'some'. I doubt the IBA has many members you would call 'addicts' or 'users'...those people, generally speaking, spend money on the drugs, not on motorcycles.

tx2sturgis, my answer to that question would be...yes, I would have a problem with that. ONLY because of the logistics involved in doing drug testing at the start of a ride.

I, personally, have no problem submitting to a drug test, any time, anywhere. I am probably the most drug free person you will ever meet in your entire life. Don't smoke, don't drink and don't use drugs. I have always preferred a clear mind over the idea of a drug hazed mind, whether that be from alcohol, drugs, coffee, or cigarettes.

In the OLD days of the IBA, it was extremely frowned upon for any rider to use drugs of any kind. If a rider was found to have used drugs, they were banned from the IBA. Most serious riders know very well to stay away from any stimulants, and were prefer the jedi trick of mind over matter. But the mind needs to know...what matters...as in when to stop, and get rest.

As for what happens on a one person ride, doing their own thing, not part of a rally or group ride, I cannot speak on that. I would hope that a rider would use their brain, and not false stimulants.