IGNORED

Finally Bit the Bullet !!

GeorgeS

After 19 years of rideing my 89, finally decided its time to get a new bike .

Not getting any younger, so decided, to get one now and most likly will last me till its time to " Hang it Up " as they say !! ( Whoever they are ? )

Anyway, as of yesterday I'm the proud new owner of a " New" 08 RSTD " ( Blue/Black ) . Purchased at Enumclaw, Wa. Yamaha.

What to do with the 89 ?? Hmmmm ?? not sure, the Darn thing is still " running like a Swiss Watch " !!!

OK, down to business, Modifications !!!! ???? --- Will be setting it up for " Solo " traveling. I'm removeing the Passenger seat, and will need a Solo, Luggage Fender Rack. Started searching last night, but not much luck ????

Anybody know who carries a Fender, Solo, Rack for the RSTD ??? I'm all ears !!

And one more thing !!! Its still Cold, and Raining in Seattle this week !!!!! :depressed:

Also: Whats the source for that Niffty little Hand Pump, for Airing up the Shocks ??? Can't locate that information. I remember

a few years ago, sombody mentioning the " Preferred " hand pump to carry on the bike

And just to " Stir the Pot " After, about 30 miles on the new bike, I " Love the Handling " Very different world from rideing the 1st Gen !!! Not better, Not worse, Just different !!!!

Edited by GeorgeS

(Quote) And one more thing !!! Its still Cold, and Raining in Seattle this week !!!!! :depressed:

Sounds like you need a good rain suit and heated clothing..congrats on the new ride..keep your eye on the shifter screw, known to come loose...other then that, it is one solid running machine.

They love to be waxed and carressed....often..:whistling:

No, thats not the type rack I want. I'm removeing the Passenger seat, and want to install a Fender Rack, Over the top of rear fender. Complete SOLO, set up !!

GeorgeS, you don't live that far away from me...and I have everything on my '06 RSMTD that you are looking for. Really !

Let's go private, and I will meet up with you, show you all the solo rider stuff on my bike, and then we can get you started in the right direction.

I have the solo seat, the yamaha solo seat chrome rail around the seat, the Yamaha rear fender chrome rack that goes in place of the rear seat...blah blah blah.

I will send you a PM, and we can get together.

Congrats on the new ride.....But,..... don't forget what you know about the 1st gens..... I still need you........ Love ya man.... mean it

I could not forget all that I been thru with the 89, I love the ride, but the first 30K were , well, lots of problems !!.

But it was worth it, nothing like cruzeing from Seattle to Los Angeles, on a 1st Gen !! Especially thru the Mountains, of Southern Oregon, 4 lane's of I-5 , Twisties, at 75 to 80 MPH, playing dodge em Cars, with the big Rigs !!

I remember one trip, I had all 3 brake Calipers Smoking !!! going thru those mountain pass's !! Ahhhh, it was a " Good Day " as they say !! :backinmyday:

I never sold my 87 even after I bought my 08 Blue/black.That was the first new bike I had in 30 years and I really loved it.Broke my heart when the insurance co took it away. Yamaha makes(or made) the rack you want.You may have to check Ebay to find one.

• 2 weeks later...
You can get the pump from any HD store. Not sure if the fender rack for a Road Star would work for you or not.

Your Correct, on the hand pump at an HD , dealer. Stopped in one yesterday, they had seven of them in stock !! $49.00 plus tax !!

Also, looked at all the " New Harleys " Hmmmmm ?? They actually had a lot of good deals. Some 3 and 4 year left overs !! marked down to the 12K range.

A couple at $10K, and even a White Police model, an 08 I think, for $8,999.00.

If anybody our there is interested, do some shopping around, there are deals to be had !! :detective: