IGNORED

Test rode new Victory Tour bikes???????

BigLenny

Okay, here's the deal. My RSTD has been a wonderful bike. My wife and I have loved it to death, and have rode it on several long range rides that have ranged from weekend getaways to 2 week vacations. I haven't had a hiccups trouble with it, and I intend to keep it until the wheels fall. Having said that, I have been tossing around the idea of moving up to a full dresser before a 4000 mile ride we have planned to go on in September.

So, this past Saturday, Victory had their Demo Tour truck at the local dealership close by, and I accepted their offer to ride the Victory Vision and the Victory Cross Country Tour. I first rode the Cross Country and was certainly impressed, then I rode the Vision and it was an even nicer experience. Those two bikes are awesome, well thought out machines that I think would be very capable rides for the two up touring that we do so much of. HOWEVER, the whole time I was riding both machines, I kept feeling like something was missing, or off. I racked my brain so hard about it that after I got back to the dealership from the second ride, I decided to ride them again. It was in the middle of the second ride that it finally dawned on me what was gnawing at me. IT IS THE 4 CYLINDER!!! The difference between the throttle response and characteristics of the 4 cylinder in my RSTD is what i was missing while riding the V-Twin thumper type bikes the Victory's are. To me, there was a marked decrease in performance even though the Victory's are state of the art ultra modern high tech V-Twin machines. I also had this nagging feeling that I just don't want to stray away from a liquid cooled bike.

Someone tell me, is this what I am going to face if I continue to flirt with the idea of buying a v-twin touring bike? I know I could just buy a new Venture and settle it, but I struggle with loving the motor the Venture has, but feeling lack luster about spending new money on a machine that is still......dated somewhat. I wish to the good Lord that Yamaha would get off their haunches and update the Venture with features like fuel injection, heated grips and seats, and for crying out loud a this millennium sound system that doesn't include a cassette tape deck.

Someone talk me off of the ledge here. Lol.

Guest scarylarry

I would not leave a liquid cool for anything, wait till it is 100 degrees and you are at traffic light you will miss that water cool....I thought the vision was water cool though..

I have 1700cc = 103 cubic inches same has a HD, and if you think the big V-Twins have more power they don't, love my Kaw and makes a great 2nd bike but if I was to head out of state I would take the RSV in heartbeat...

A good friend of mine has a Vic Vision.Great bike but a bit ostentatious for me.He rode by me and the bike has a unique awesome exhaust note. He complains of wind buffeting at highway speeds. I hear they are a nice bike to ride and very well balance. I would not say it is a quick as any of the Venture family.It sure is a head turner though. Ray:cool10:

Like Larry say's I would not leave the liquid cooled, Had a friend who rode an HD. and on more than one occasion he had to push it to the curb because it shut down sitting in traffic Just my thought

Guest tx2sturgis

ALL motorcycles are 'air-cooled'.

Every one of them.

The flowing air either cools the cylinders directly, or cools the radiator, and then the coolant and the engine indirectly. With either bike, the waste heat is pulled away by the outside air.

So there is nothing wrong with 'direct' air cooling in 90% of the situations we ride in.

Of course, if the 10% of the time you find is too much for the aircooling capacity, then its time to think water cooled. Water cooling has one primary advantage in that 10% extreme situation: It can INCREASE its cooling ability. Direct air cooling cannot do that. I have seen oil temps on my aircooled HD around 315 degrees in really extreme situations. Yes, it most likely damaged the oil.

If your riding 2-up, pulling a trailer, on 90-110 degree days, in the mountains, pulling long grades, that is where water-cooling will be able to keep up with the demand. (the thermostat opens wide and the electric fan is probably on high speed)

But in most other 'normal' situations, air cooling can get the job done.

I really like the Victory bikes...but in 2007, when I test rode the Vision, and then immediately test rode the Venture, on a day with 30 mph cross-winds, I said NO to the Vision which became an unpleasant handful during the ride.

If you plan on pulling a trailer (and camping) on those long tours, I'd stick with the RSTD or the RSV.

If your idea of touring is staying in motels all the time and no trailer needed, then any air-cooled bike will do the job just fine.

My :2cents:.

Well the engine design is certainly different. I am still getting use to this V-4 from my 900 Kawai twin I had. I think the VIc probably has more power, certainly more torque but its low in RPM range. You are use to the high reving V-4 so it would be a learning curve. I too rode the VIcs. Talk about grunt!!!!! If you are traveling 2 up I would seriously take another look at the Vision. While a excellen riding and driving bik. There aint a lot of room in them bags the way they are all slanted and curved. If I had the funds I would be on a Cross Country Tour now.

Hey BigLenny, like you I rode the XC, and thought it was a great machine. Put on almost 50k on the RSV and thought it was a fantastic bike. Nothing out their like the V4. I ended up buying a HD Ultra, and truly enjoy it. But often miss my RSV, the liquid cooled engine and hardly no heat from engine was great, not to mention the amount of passenger room for the passenger. I had put fishtails on the RSV and it sounded like a small block V-8, was awsome, little loud. The HD sound is, well it's a Harley and many try to copy it.

But all in all, I wish I could have afforded both the RSV and Ultra, both different, but both great bikes.

Question, couldn't you add a detachable fairing w/sterio and detachable trunk and make your bike the best of both worlds? Later-

Here are some "reviews" from guys on the Goldwing site that have either moved to a Victory or are considering it. Maybe this will help and further address the V-twin versus V-four and liquid cooled versus oil cooled situation.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?317246-Thinking-of-Trading-my-Wing-for-a-new-Victory-Vision&highlight=victory

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?316899-Reporting-on-Vision-as-promised&highlight=victory

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?308337-Cross-Country-Tour-vrs-Wing&highlight=victory

I have rode fuel injected bikes.... personally I dont mind pulling out the choke, then pushing it back in. Keep in mind..... no other bike carries a warranty like the Venture. Far as the tape player.... I dont use CD's, I have it all on an mp3 player. Only complaint I have is ...... BRING BACK THE RSTD in the line-up !!!!!

Here are some "reviews" from guys on the Goldwing site that have either moved to a Victory or are considering it. Maybe this will help and further address the V-twin versus V-four and liquid cooled versus oil cooled situation.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?317246-Thinking-of-Trading-my-Wing-for-a-new-Victory-Vision&highlight=victory

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?316899-Reporting-on-Vision-as-promised&highlight=victory

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?308337-Cross-Country-Tour-vrs-Wing&highlight=victory

Darn you, Rick!!! I've been battling Vision fever for a couple weeks now, thought I about had it licked. Now you gotta make me read all these good reviews, and I'm re-infected.

The only thing holding me back is that the Boss would probably wring my neck. Again.

Joe

Red Ryder, I certainly have been thinking about the option of adding a fairing to my bike. The trunk thing is a tossup because I'm wondering if we can actually pack more stuff in our large t-bag with a roll top, and the convenience of carrying the whole bag into the hotel room is nice.

It could be the main thing gnawing at me is, I just want a new bike to play with. Lol.

I love both the Victory Touring bikes but would lean toward the C/C tourer. I can't get past the ugly on the Vision and the saddle bags are tiny. I have ridden both on a number of occasions, but I am waiting until HOT weather to try one to see about radiant heat. Sylvester will remain in my possession no matter what.

:farmer:

ALL motorcycles are 'air-cooled'.

Every one of them.

The flowing air either cools the cylinders directly, or cools the radiator, and then the coolant and the engine indirectly. With either bike, the waste heat is pulled away by the outside air.

So there is nothing wrong with 'direct' air cooling in 90% of the situations we ride in.

Of course, if the 10% of the time you find is too much for the aircooling capacity, then its time to think water cooled. Water cooling has one primary advantage in that 10% extreme situation: It can INCREASE its cooling ability. Direct air cooling cannot do that. I have seen oil temps on my aircooled HD around 315 degrees in really extreme situations. Yes, it most likely damaged the oil.

If your riding 2-up, pulling a trailer, on 90-110 degree days, in the mountains, pulling long grades, that is where water-cooling will be able to keep up with the demand. (the thermostat opens wide and the electric fan is probably on high speed)

But in most other 'normal' situations, air cooling can get the job done.

I really like the Victory bikes...but in 2007, when I test rode the Vision, and then immediately test rode the Venture, on a day with 30 mph cross-winds, I said NO to the Vision which became an unpleasant handful during the ride.

If you plan on pulling a trailer (and camping) on those long tours, I'd stick with the RSTD or the RSV.

If your idea of touring is staying in motels all the time and no trailer needed, then any air-cooled bike will do the job just fine.

My :2cents:.

Great point, all bikes are air cooled. I guess I have a liquid cooled hang up. I have been in several scenario's that I was glad I was on a liquid cooled bike. Branson, Mo. and Pigeon Forge-Gatlinburg, Tn. during hot weather creeping in slow traffic for miles are just a couple times that come to mind. Because my wife loves to ride so much, I am two up 90% of the time the bike is running.

Sylvester,

It was a tad over 90 degrees here last Friday when I rode the Victory bikes and I certainly felt a measure of heat coming off the right side of the Vision at slow speeds, and while stopped at intersections. Didn't really notice it as much on the XC Tour. I'm pretty sure that would get annoying to me since I haven't had to deal with that on my RSTD.

BigLenny,

Did you notice a loud "Clunk!" every time you shifted up or down?

It was annoying. That and the "SeeDoo" sounding exhaust. I would take off, and it sounded just like a SeeDoo starting off trying to plane... The Wifey mentioned it first.

Still want to try the XC Tourer. Its shorter wheel base as well.

Darn you, Rick!!! I've been battling Vision fever for a couple weeks now, thought I about had it licked. Now you gotta make me read all these good reviews, and I'm re-infected.

The only thing holding me back is that the Boss would probably wring my neck. Again.

Joe

I'm always willing to help a guy out Joe... LOL

I did notice the clunk. The exhaust, not so much. I think Victory is sitting the catbird seat with these bikes because either people are buying them at a pretty good rate, or at the very least they are discussing them like we are doing.