IGNORED

My son wants to start riding

Freebird

I have to say I kind of like the idea of taking him out in the cage. I did simular things when mine was on a learners permit for his licenece @ 15. If we were going somewhere I would shoot question like what color was the car sitting at the stop sign we just passed? Or if something flew off the truck infront of us whats your escape route. I think it made him pay a little more attention to surroundings. He did sort of get a headstart on looking down the road and driving ahead so to speak from some racing in younger years. He has expressed some interest in a bike but @ late 20's with a 1yr old , wife house pmt etc I dont see it happening. Plus his other half said "when the bills are paid off you can think about one". Well I just dont see it say in the next 25yrs.

I had a 900 Kawaski Vulcan and thought it was a good handeling bike. They are relativley inexpensive for a used one. Dont know if I would go much bigger for a first bike. But you dont want to start to small either. Actually the 883 from the motro company are all over the place and I have seen them under 4K. Taking the MSF course in some staes is rewuired for an endorsement. And most ins companies give you a discount if you have taken the course in the last 3yr. Good luck my friend.

All you can do is teach them well, attend motorcycle safety course with them, go to a lot and practice, set up some drills and master them and then show them how to ride safely. There is only so much you can do, do all you can and enjoy your time together,

With a 42 year old son that rides and a 20 year old grandson that rides, I can surely understand your feelings. Brian (Lil Venturous) rode sport bikes for years and I was concerned with this. My grandson and granddaughter got bikes when they were both young and grew up with them.

For a while now, my grandson has been riding a CBR600 that is a strong running bike. And, as I posted the other day, he crashed hard and has very severe injuries to his right leg, with both extensive bone and muscle damage. We are looking at least three more months before he can start physical therapy. This is an injury that he will probably have to live with the rest of his life. He spent six days in Intensive Care and another week in the hospital before he got out and came to my house. He had 18 units of blood in the hospital and according to his surgeon, he could have easily died from the blood loss before he was brought to the hospital.

I know that this is not what you want to hear, but this is also the real world of riding a motorcycle, especially when they do not use their best judgment and push the limits. I also know that it is a wonderful feeling to have three generations ride together and we have done this several times..

Shane, my grandson, and I have had several good discussions about riding and I think he is beginning to realize that riding can be fun and pleasurable without having the adrenalin rush from pushing the limits.

RandyA

My sons first ride was on a 3 wheeler (50cc) in the deep snow when he was six, doing donuts up by the deck, then riding 50-85cc dirt bikes in the woods with me up till he was 15. Got him a Suzuki Katana 750 last year, he took MSF and rides it up to college. Smart boy on 2 wheels.

Don,

The pleasure we have riding eventually shows thru to our kids. My two oldest boys have their MC endorsement and ride. I have always had a couple of bikes around smaller than the Venture. My path for them was as follows:

1) I set a good example of safe riding. Took MSF basic course and attend periodic training still. NEVER drink and ride. Always wear ATGATT including full face helmet, boots, gloves, armored jacket, and armored pants (will occasionally wear jeans if running errands locally).

2) Watched their car driving skills for a couple of years. When I was comfortable with and trusted their driving skills, we started the riding tract.

3) Took them to a large parking lot and taught them the basics of how the bike worked. How to shift, brake, and countersteer. They ran around the lots until they were comfortable with how the bike worked.

4) This was done so they would not be embarrassed during their MSF class.

5) I got them all the gear and make sure they wear it.

6) As far as I can tell, they have never drank and ridden. They recognize this would be a deal breaker and they will not break this trust.

I have taken a trip with my oldest son and he joined me for and 8 hour LD ride. So far, it has all been very positive. Wish we had more time to ride together.

RR

My son was 14 when I got his first bike for him,it was a 550 Honda Nighthawk.Perfect for him to learn on.He had a school permit so he rode it everyday to school 15 miles.Then after 6 months he got a 2001 883 sportster and he got my old 2002 Vulcan 1500 classic when he turned 15 and we rode together to Sturgis and back when he was 15.Now he has a 2003 Midnite Venture and I got an 2001 Royal Star Venture.He practically grew up on bikes and is a very good rider.He is my riding buddy we really enjoy riding together.His Mom was not too keen on the idea of him having a bike but she has seen the joy we get out of riding together and how it is just one more thing that he and I love to do together and something we do as a family.We go on poker runs and rallies as much as we can and he and I both ride 32 miles one way to work everyday.So I think he will probably be like me and never give up riding till he can't throw the leg over the bike or keep it balanced.Then you get a trike!!!

Know the feeling, my daughter starting riding my brothers Wide Glide around when she was 13 so I knew she was hooked. She can ride the RSV but I am not comfortable with her doing it so we are looking at the Shawdows and V-Stars. She looked at the Triumphs and the Sportsters but was not thrilled with them and she has no intrest in sport bikes.

My Dad got me on a little 125 when I was 4 and regretted it his whole life but he helped me get several bikes and said I told you so when I cam home skinned up more times than I can count. Do what you thinks best and all you can do is try to talk some sense and safety into him like my Dad did.

I bet you picture your son like this:

Edited by etcswjoe

I'm just shy of 6' and love my Yamaha 650 V-star midnight custom... Some have commented here about bad steering but my 2005 feels like a bicycle compared to the RSV. It's the perfect learning bike. Top speed is about 80-85 . it looks Great and is not a crotch rocket. The blinding speed of a crotch rocket will get even an experienced rider into trouble...

The only negative thing(s) i can say about the bike is I had to replace a stator at 22,000 mi. and the rear splines on the final drive"hub" striped out(my fault) lack of lubrication. That was a $600 mistake. ouch ...:mo money:

The stock seat and pillion sucks so I bought Mustang replacements($650)

That being said, it's a 300 mi. bike. it's a cruiser not a tourer.

Ones with a couple years can be bought cheap... If he were to drive/learn on for a year or so, then he could decide what to buy next. Perhaps a heavier 1100 or 1300 vstar?

650's sell for around $7k new

Edited by CaptainJoe

Don, I know what you are going thru. My son is now 22, and has been riding my old 920 Virago for Four years.

Like you where thinking and saying of having him take the Motorcycle safety course, I did also. I have never taken such a course, so I didn't want to teach him bad habits.

What I did do and made me feel so much better was go for a weekend ride with him, on highways, city roads, residential and country roads. I rode behind him and observed what he was doing and what his instincts made him do. We stopped several times and discussed what he did and why he did it. If I felt different about it, I told him my thought process on why I would do something different.

For instance he was told while on the course to ride on the left side of the lane on a single highway. He did this religiously. In my opinion, you must also move over in certain circumstances, especially in the country approaching the crest of a hill or on a straight away when approaching a clump of opposing traffic as one of those cars not at the front may pull out to pass and they can't see you close to the middle line like they can when you are moved more to the right side of the lane.

We spoke about city riding and looking into the cars at the driver as they can give you a better clue as to their movement as opposed to turn signals or lack there of.

I was able to educate him on spring riding with dirt, sand and gravel on the road at turns and stop signs, along with fall riding and what leaves do if you break on them.

These little things and others like them he did not learn on the course. More common sense, but in my line of work, I see all too often that common sense, is not so common.

I wish the two of you well in this venture (sorry for the pun) together. For me the more I saw him on the bike, the better I slept when he was out on the bike. Teaching him respect of the bike was huge. Without the respect it is too easy to do stupid things. And we all know that there are enough stupid things being done on the road in front of us without us adding to them.

Again Don, good luck in both your decisions.

Wow Dogman-see there reading your post sparked the ole memory banks in me now. I have been riding here in Fla for so long now I completly forgot about the leaves and sand in spring thing. Not a worry down here. Here in the fall you watch for blue hairs from up north that cant see over the steering wheel. Thanks for the reminder. I guess it shows we all sort of get use to what we are riding in most of the time and forget our training some.

Just the fact that Dylan is talking to you about it BEFORE he gets his bike is a huge first step.

It means that he wants your input and is much more likely to follow your recommendations and coaching.

Start with a MSF course, If you have not taken one (recently), take it with him. Who says you cant teach an old dog new tricks?

My V-Star 650 was a greater learners bike. Yea steerings not too great when comparing from a Venture or a GoldWing, but its like a bicycle, and its light.

If all else, the VSTar 950 isn't that bad of a learners bike either. Rode alright, but I only got to hop on for around the block test.

And if you well... want to be a heavy duty limiter. Tell em to pay for their own gas ;) And see what the difference is between going easy, and going hard. :bluesbrother:

my dad had the same delima...after yrs of riding around on small bikes of his, i told him i wanted to ride the streets with him. so he thought he had a way to prolong the issue.

a couple of rules were set up. i would have to save the money for a street bike, retake the rider safety course, always wear a helmet and maintain the bike. we'll i saved the money which took a while and did the course. now i was so proud of the bike i didn't want it scratched or dirty so the thought of doing anything crazy escaped my mind and i washed it almost daily after even the shortest ride. i was about 16 when this all happened and shortly after i got my bike a close friend wrecked his but was lucky not to have been killed.

i remember this to this day and every time i ride 44yrs later it keeps me under control.

i would do the same with my son, except he never go the desire to ride much and now he is 26 going in his lifes direction.

GOOD LUCK, DAD

shamue