IGNORED

Maintenance Day Info for Newcomers

Freebird

Well, I'm out here in San Diego, so I can't make the Maintenance Day. I wish you all good weather and lots of good wrenching!

I don't write on here often, but just wanted to say thanks for all the good advice and info that I glean from here whenever I come by surfing and reading here. Over the last couple weeks,

my Black Beauty has received new rear brakes (they were down to the metal on the inside pad) at 15k miles. Also looked at the front brakes and they are almost like new and applied some anti-squeal and took away the squealing when front brake is applied. Bled the clutch and today I pulled the air filters and cleaned them and put them back in. I've learned so much about this bike on here and the venturers site that has allowed me to do some of my own work where I would have been hesitant to do so without all your help! I'm going to attach some pics of my Dunlop E-3s at 8,543 miles and see what opinions I can get out of you. Not real happy with the mileage I'm getting out of them.

Have a great maintenance day and ride safe! Sending you some of our sunshine!

BigDawg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

opinions I can get out of you.

Looking at picture # 1, i come to the conclusion that you need to clip your thumb nail, to start with.:detective:

I will give chance to others to have their input on rest of your problems...:smile5:

:beer:

I think if he's patient and keeps turning wrenches the nail will chip off on its own.

Well, I'm out here in San Diego, so I can't make the Maintenance Day. I wish you all good weather and lots of good wrenching!

I don't write on here often, but just wanted to say thanks for all the good advice and info that I glean from here whenever I come by surfing and reading here. Over the last couple weeks,

my Black Beauty has received new rear brakes (they were down to the metal on the inside pad) at 15k miles. Also looked at the front brakes and they are almost like new and applied some anti-squeal and took away the squealing when front brake is applied. Bled the clutch and today I pulled the air filters and cleaned them and put them back in. I've learned so much about this bike on here and the venturers site that has allowed me to do some of my own work where I would have been hesitant to do so without all your help! I'm going to attach some pics of my Dunlop E-3s at 8,543 miles and see what opinions I can get out of you. Not real happy with the mileage I'm getting out of them.

Have a great maintenance day and ride safe! Sending you some of our sunshine!

BigDawg

I'm sorry to say, but a Lot of Folks who could give you Input are at the MD at Freebird's Place, so please, don't feel ignored. The Opinions will come, just takes a bit longer than usual.

On a second Thought, at least i for one, can't really see your Questions in your Posting. You aren't happy with the Mileage the Tires provide, Ok. I get that, but other than this, i don't understand. I'm sorry, really.

Edited by Squeeze

Ok, seriously. (Yes, it's after Maintenance Day.) I can't really tell from your photos. How deep are the grooves? E3s don't really have a lot of grooves to begin with. Deeper at the center than toward the sides?

I'm going to attach some pics of my Dunlop E-3s at 8,543 miles and see what opinions I can get out of you. Not real happy with the mileage I'm getting out of them.

BigDawg,

There are lots of variables that go into tire wear, personal riding habits, area in which you live, air pressure that you keep the tires at are just a few. It appears that you still have a reasonable amount of tread in the center as it doesn't look slick to me. Another thing too is if you do a lot of slab or strait away riding it will obviously wear the center of the tire faster, this is where the tire pressures come into play.

I'll be quite honest with you, if I can get 12K out of a MC tire I am pretty happy. I know you hear of folks getting 18 to 20K out of a rear tire, and not saying that I am doubting the folks that make this claim, but I have NEVER gotten close to that on any MC tire I have owned, but thats just me.

Biggest thing is to religiously check your tire pressures, on the rear I keep them within 2 lbs of max sidewall pressure, the front I keep 4 to 5 lbs under max. E3's are decent tires, and many folks here like them. Some get great results others not so much. In my mind your about 3500 miles away from what I expect out of a rear tire. If at 10K the tire is completely shot, then I might get a little cranked up....:2cents:

Guest scarylarry

I agree with Squid here tires looks great and in my experience E3 will last a little longer when they get down 1/4 of the way compare to a Avon which just willl vanish at that point...

I would say that is a normal wear to me..

Ok, seriously. (Yes, it's after Maintenance Day.) I can't really tell from your photos. How deep are the grooves? E3s don't really have a lot of grooves to begin with. Deeper at the center than toward the sides?

I would say the grooves are deeper towards the outside of the tread. I guess I can't remember how deep they were new 13 months ago..but my main concern is I;m going on a 3500-4000 mile trip in July, so would rather have fresh rubber than need to buy tires on vacation.

thanks Bummer!

BigDawg

Like Squid said, you're getting close. I usually go through two rears to one front with around 20k to 24k on the front.

If I was heading out on vacation I'd probably get a new rear of the same kind and keep that one in case of problems later on - nail in the new one, for example. That way you could put on the old one long enough to get a new one. Then when it happens I would just get a new one and have that one hanging around until I took it to the dump. But just in case...