IGNORED

Venom X Tire Pressure

JohnMidnight

I'd say yes.

Lower pressure will only add to the flexing of the tire. I've heard the war stories about the cracks found by some riders but never had any problems with that on the last set or the new ones I just mounted up about 3,000 mile ago.

I did find some minor cracks in the very bottoms of the grooves on the old front tire only at the end of its useful life. But with that tire being an '05 birthdate and almost the 25k miles I would expect some issues.

BUT----- If you're seeing major cracks or flaws that tire needs to be evaluated for your own safety. If your uncomfortable with it, do what you need to. But again, I've never seen lower tire pressures help any tire condtion improve. With the Venoms low pressure will start the cupping effect very quickly with the softer compound.

Mike

Odd, the Venom X in the rear said 50. Filled both tires to 50 at the shop yesterday. It did make a difference.

Now all I need is the forks redone and a fork brace, and maybe R1 Calipers, almost--not quite--ran out of room in my high speed turn. Little bit of crazy though kinda cleaned me and the bike up though.

Odd, the Venom X in the rear said 50. Filled both tires to 50 at the shop yesterday. It did make a difference.

Now all I need is the forks redone and a fork brace, and maybe R1 Calipers, almost--not quite--ran out of room in my high speed turn. Little bit of crazy though kinda cleaned me and the bike up though.

If it says 50 then run 50. It's been a while since I filled a 1stGen tire. :backinmyday:

And thats 48 front, 42 rear right? I'll try that. I like the Avons they give very nice traction, and ease of movement. Though, with the insane wind we be getting lately--much so I thought the poor arse behind me was gonna find himself with a flag mounted to his windshield!--Its proving to be a beautiful experience, though... BEFORE at 32/32, I could not exceed 75, bike would just wobble, at 50/50 its pretty darn good. I'll lower the pressures tonight when I get home though, I can't find my pressure gauges anywhere on the Venture >:|

One odd thing about Avon tires is they only put the pressure for max loads on their tires, I called Avon and went by this group so I run 42/48 myself and I get around 25K out of a Venom.

What manufacturer provides anything but the max pressure on the side wall? I can't think of any. All tires I have seen say Max load of X at X psi Cold. That is the psi required to acheive the rated load of the tire.

RSTDdog

Seems I have "dry rot" but there's nothing I can do. Don't have a enclosed garage, just a open air sheltered garage.

I will see about calling them up... but it's not covered as far as I know, its not premature cracking, the tires WERE left in the cold. >.>

And thats 48 front, 42 rear right? I'll try that. I like the Avons they give very nice traction, and ease of movement. Though, with the insane wind we be getting lately--much so I thought the poor arse behind me was gonna find himself with a flag mounted to his windshield!--Its proving to be a beautiful experience, though... BEFORE at 32/32, I could not exceed 75, bike would just wobble, at 50/50 its pretty darn good. I'll lower the pressures tonight when I get home though, I can't find my pressure gauges anywhere on the Venture >:|

The very best tires on the market for me and my bike. Hands down the best.......:2cents:

FRONT = Solo Light - 38-40 PSI..... Two up - 40-41 PSI...... Heavy - 42-43 PSI....

REAR = Solo Light -44 PSI....... Two up - 46 PSI...... Heavy - 48-50 PSI.....

Touring Venom Tires with reinforced construction*

*Front

MT90HB16, 130/70HB18, 120/90H18

*Rear

140/90H15, 150/90HB15, 150/90VB15, 170/80H15MT90HB16, 140/90HB16, 150/80HB16, 160/80HB16

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

Here's what Avon says about Venture tire pressure. I usually add 1 or 2# for the front and about 3-4# for the rear when taking long trips with a passenger and full bags. I get about 22-24Kmiles on a set. BTW, the other link to Avon about motorcycle tires is good also.

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorbike/xvz-1300-t-d-venture-royal

Frank D.

One odd thing about Avon tires is they only put the pressure for max loads on their tires, I called Avon and went by this group so I run 42/48 myself and I get around 25K out of a Venom.

I run 42F/46R and ride two up 95% of time. 3rd set of venoms and typically get 18k fronts 11-12k rears. I'm a happy Avon customer........good luck with yours.

• 2 weeks later...

Took advice from other members and went with the Venoms on my '08. Replaced the stock 404's even though they still had tread and were legal. I thought with them being 5+ yrs old and squirrelly in the turns and riding the road snakes, it was time to upgrade.

Just back from Americade where I had them mounted by the Avon technicians at the Forum - (thought they would be best installer in case of any trouble later on). Purchased from Motorcycle Superstore - delivered in 5 days at an excellent price.

So... as I was getting on the bike after they were mounted - a fellow RSV rider ('02) commented as he walked past "it's gonna be like a new bike". Well, he was right! I can't believe the difference in the ride, handling the turns and slow speed maneuverability.

Really brought enjoyment on the 3 hr ride home (took the long route through Vt). Now if I can put up with the darn "whine" (ear plugs and loud music :))

Thanks everyone that lead me to the Avons - really pleased. :cool10:

Ride safe