IGNORED

Be careful out there...

Condor

While sitting here in the office every morning I have a news radio station playing in the background. Now that the weather has turned warmer every morning and evening I hear traffic reports of Motorcyclists down, Motorcyclist vs Semi, Motorcylist Abulance on it's way, Life flight, Fatalities..... etc. I'm not talking about once in a while... it's every morning and evening!! It's like mayhem carnage. While typing this another motorcycle accident to the hospital report was just given... It scares the cr@p out of me, to the point I don't run any errands around town any longer. It just ain't worth it... :stirthepot:

i hear about fires all the time on tv and radio.....haven't personally seen one in a looong time. :confused24::stirthepot:

:sign **** happens: all the time out there. we can't lock ourselves in the house all the time.

But your warning is fair...we all have to be careful...but not fearful. :banana:

:beer:

It sure is intense driving to and from work with zombie commuters all around you. Thrilling is a good word for it - scary is the other word for it. I know you shouldn't be fearful but its hard sometimes when things move fast. Sometimes I don't mind the traffic jams because there is less of a chance to get hurt when things aren't moving. What I don't like is when commuters go 90kph in a 60 zone, breaking hard, cutting into lanes with no signal... Its a challenge to stay cool and collected.

Half of my drive I enjoy an easy scenic lightly traveled route, the other half makes me want multiple straight pipes angled in every direction, maybe even a few machine guns. I don't drive aggressively, I just want rushing commutes to stay away.

This last year has been crazy here. If it's not a squib losing control at high speed it's a another rider being taken out by a cage. Last month a rider was blown off the road by high winds and died from his injuries. Six riders had died within 3 miles of my house since spring. Roads I ride every day.

The speeds at some of these guys are getting caught at blow me away. One at 156 mph on one of the busiest streets in Omaha, another at 162 then the big one was 188 mph on the Interstate for 6 miles. That one was looking at 2 years in jail but the judge ended up giving him 6 months and a day of community service for every mph over the limit. He got 163 days for that alone. His Mom defended his actions by saying it was a "split second decision". For six miles? Nope, he gave that some thought don't ya think?

But those survived without injury. God takes care of drunks and fools right?

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

Thanks for the post definetly need to keep a watch out but around here its not just the cages that are stupid, in the last week we have had half a dozen single vehicle accidents involving motorcycles.

I watched a young man about get cut in half when he passed inbetween a truck and a car on the interstate and I do not understand why some riders around here insist on riding a foot from the vehicle in front of them.

Thanks for the post. We all need to stay alert. Although things can get crazy I don't think they are any worse than years past. I do think there are more inexperienced riders out there though. With all the sport bikes and all the new riders I'm not at all surprised the statistics are climbing. While I question just how much they listen, It's up to all us old guys to at least try and educate the younger ones.

This last year has been crazy here. If it's not a squib losing control at high speed it's a another rider being taken out by a cage. Last month a rider was blown off the road by high winds and died from his injuries. Six riders had died within 3 miles of my house since spring. Roads I ride every day.

The speeds at some of these guys are getting caught at blow me away. One at 156 mph on one of the busiest streets in Omaha, another at 162 then the big one was 188 mph on the Interstate for 6 miles. That one was looking at 2 years in jail but the judge ended up giving him 6 months and a day of community service for every mph over the limit. He got 163 days for that alone. His Mom defended his actions by saying it was a "split second decision". For six miles? Nope, he gave that some thought don't ya think?

Mike

Going over 100 mph is not a "split second decision" that is wanton disregard for yourself, and others, oh and your own insurance policy ;) which may or may not cover you in the event of a accident like that.

A friend of a friend got into a accident on HW 99 here in Cali. Poor sod was doing 132 when a car clipped him. He survived, though when I went to see him in the hospital he was out like a light, but stable. Me and his girlfriend got to talking, and I found out. Geico was refusing to cover him. He was riding in a very unsafe manner, especially for someone who submitted a recent MSF ERC card.

He's doing OK now. Rides a V-Star 1300 Tourer, he doesn't speed anymore, makes himself extra safe, etc. During summer he's never without a mesh jacket and overpants with CE foam, and a full face helmet. Still owes me for a job... damn bugger.

Mike

Oh to be young and invincibly again.....

:mytruck1:

While sitting here in the office every morning I have a news radio station playing in the background. Now that the weather has turned warmer every morning and evening I hear traffic reports of Motorcyclists down, Motorcyclist vs Semi, Motorcylist Abulance on it's way, Life flight, Fatalities..... etc. I'm not talking about once in a while... it's every morning and evening!! It's like mayhem carnage. While typing this another motorcycle accident to the hospital report was just given... It scares the cr@p out of me, to the point I don't run any errands around town any longer. It just ain't worth it... :stirthepot:

no offence but I've been to California many times in the semi and bikes all day long there ride down the center lines I've even seen the police do it and I'm not just talking about when traffic is stopped either I'm taking when traffic is doing 60 mph and the bikes shoot the gap doing a 100+ mph I understand what your saying completely but some people just don't have common since if it wasn't for the cars and trucks that have to live with knowing they hit someone I'd say its natural selection only the smart survive I'm sure there is a lot of great drivers out there but I'm always busy getting cut off by the bad ones to ever see them

Jack, Carmichael was so small back when I used to stay with my grandmother

for the summers there. I really missed that, but growing up, Carmichael was such

a small tiny town with lots of bare land. now look at it I guess.

My Brother now retire from the sheriffs Dept ran the Carmichael beat for over 35 years.

Jeff

I work in the transportation industry. I know what a truck can do. I respect trucks and give them all the distance I can. Cars are no picnics either.

As a former road cop two things come to mind about accidents. The attention factor and speed.

But I am preaching to the choir here. You guys ride safe.

Bit hard to do with the trailer queen, but if I remember correctly lane splitting is legal in CA.....

:mytruck1:

Actually it's not legal, but it isn't illegal either. There isn't a vehicle code on it one way or the other. So they just turn a blind eye.... I wouldn't be a bit surprised if lane spliting weren't a major cause of a lot of the accidents, injuries, and fatalities since most of the traffic reports seem to be on freeways during commute hours.

Tennessee has had a big increase in motorcycle deaths this year. I believe much of it was the early spring and so many inexperienced riders justifying buying a motorcycle due to gas prices.

And, just like my grandson's crash, just pushing it too much. He is now out of the hospital as of yesterday and is staying with me. He is doing good, but he really did suffer some real serious injuries on his right leg. He could just as easily been one of the statistics.

RandyA

Been a trauma nurse since 1999 and have seen my fair share of the carnage. It's rare when a motorcyclist comes out un-injured be it involving another vehicle or not. I think if you see the results of this enough, you will naturally cool your jets. I say that and work with a nurse who rides his bike like a maniac.:confused24: