IGNORED

noise in rear shock

It is actually your butt that is squeeking. Grease at your own risk!!! :rotf:

The rear shock does that until you get the bike moving and the lube in the shock gets spread around. I believe Rick Butler has done some extensive research into this problem including cutting away an old shock and putting together a methodology to add lube to the shock.

However, the squeeking goes away once you get moving.

RR

Art,

My suggestion would be not to worry about it and let it groan. It's the seal moving up and down on the dry ram causing it to moan. If fact my Works shock even moans at times? Hopefully if there is a problem, it will start leaking and you can get it replaced under warrenty.

Rick

Guest KitCarson

I do not know much about this rear shock on the venture.....I do not even run with any air......I am 195 pounds and my wife is like 115......just some rainsuits and some snacks and first aid kit and few tools in the bags........but I am very mechanical.......can fix anything......so I would think if you took the inner snifter valve needle out of the air fill stem.......took an eye dropper full of light hydraulic oil......carefully put that into the shock........air it back up....go for a ride down a bumpy road.......that would stop it from squawking.

Just a suggestion......that is exactly what I would do for it. Don't think it would hurt anything.........I hear mine make a noise sometimes.....and it is almost new.......usually in my drive.......I have a burm thrown up in it to stop water from washing it out all the time......if I hit that hard enough to work the shock......sometimes it will make a groan...............

I do not know much about this rear shock on the venture.....I do not even run with any air......I am 195 pounds and my wife is like 115......just some rainsuits and some snacks and first aid kit and few tools in the bags........but I am very mechanical.......can fix anything......so I would think if you took the inner snifter valve needle out of the air fill stem.......took an eye dropper full of light hydraulic oil......carefully put that into the shock........air it back up....go for a ride down a bumpy road.......that would stop it from squawking.

Just a suggestion......that is exactly what I would do for it. Don't think it would hurt anything.........I hear mine make a noise sometimes.....and it is almost new.......usually in my drive.......I have a burm thrown up in it to stop water from washing it out all the time......if I hit that hard enough to work the shock......sometimes it will make a groan...............

That very thing has been done before with success, except they used a syringe with fork oil and ATF fluid if I am not mistaken.

• 2 weeks later...

Tricked me, I thought the title of the thread read "NOSE IN REAR END" my morbid curiosity got the better of me.

I have had the same problem, NOISE in rear end that is. I removed the air valve to the shock, using a syringe, I put mixture of Trani oil and 30w oil into it. Stopped groan for a while but is back again now, will have to redo.

HKD

..... I have had one shock replaced on Warranty due to the "moaning" problem. Not long after, it too began to "moan". I removed the Schraeder valve and used gravity to drain the contents of the shock overnight............ 7.5 ounces of fluid was captured. I re-inserted 2 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil and 5.5 ounces of BelRay 15W suspension fluid using a vet syringe. No more "moan". I bought an eBay shock and installed it........... the dreaded "moan" ------ I guess that is why it was on eBay. I took it off and drained it as well and re-inserted MMO and 15W BelRay. No more "moan".

A couple of years have gone by now with no further "moaning" from either. I have swapped out both shocks and am currently running an eBay 2002 shock on my '03 Midnight. I have the '03 version on the shelf.

ken.jo@shaw.ca

• 3 years later...