IGNORED

Another new way to mount stuff on a 1st gen handlebar.

Snaggletooth

Nice job Mike. Looks like you have a winner there.

I also have been in the invent/re-invent mode for the past several days. I am thinking and in the process of changing my flag mounts. I have a different design in thought and I am in the process as we speak of getting the first one welded up. I am changing the angles a little and going with a lighter pipe than before. The new angel and different cut will look a lot better and cut down on the weight a little. The schedule 40 pipe was way over kill for the use and very hard to cut at my new angles.

I hope you get something worked out there Mike. Good for you. I really like the camera ideas, that is something I might tackle one of these days. I may have to rattle your cage for a little information when I do.

Pay no attention to that remark about nice steal Mike. I am sure it is just a joke. All though I have been accused of that and I knew very well that it was a blatant lie. I feel sorry for people whom can not come up with an idea of their own and have to copy someone else.

Good job Mike, you and Bob both have really good ideas and plans there I see. Thanks for sharing.

Fuzzy :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pay no attention to that remark about nice steal Mike. I am sure it is just a joke. All though I have been accused of that and I knew very well that it was a blatant lie. I feel sorry for people whom can not come up with an idea of their own and have to copy someone else.

Good job Mike, you and Bob both have really good ideas and plans there I see. Thanks for sharing.

Fuzzy :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

No issue with it at all. At some point it time everyone has an idea. Some act on it, some share the idea, and some file it away as a brain fart and space it off. But I'll bet more that Bob, Dingy and I have looked into that nut in the past.

If I had seen Bobs post from '08 I would have probably called him to try to buy from him. Would have saved me some brain cells.

I know in the past there have been times where feathers got ruffled because someone had brought up an idea and never acted on it. Someone else picked up the ball and ran with it and made it work. I was caught in the middle of one of those situations and it was nuts. No reason for the anger over it. Something good come out of it and to me that was all that mattered.

I have sent a PM to Bob Myers to see if he wants to run with it. He's got the tools and skills to turn these out at a higher quality than I am. So if he wants it, it's his to do.

I could not produce these in mass with any promise of quality. Hey ya know, I'm working with a bench grinder and a file. :rotf: I was thrilled with ending up with two decent ones for myself.

So we shall see what happens.

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

Ok... got them on the bars. They lined up fine thanks to Danos drill work. The studs are 4" long and there is exactly 4" between the inner ends.

From the seated position the line of sight was good for the gauges. Nothing was obstructed. I hung one of my Venture bags on the riser and that holds the power cord for the GPS tucked in out of the way for use and storage.

In my opinion, 4" is about right. Maybe get away with 3" depending on what you decide to mount on them.

So that's a wrap on that project.

Mike

Boy this was a slow developing, and long drawn out fart.

I remember your PM from back in October.

But I do really like it.

I was thinkin' about it.........

Then I thought about it some more.....

Then I ran out of chilli and got to work. :eek::whistling:

The shot looking at the stud from the end showing how centered and good looking that hole providin' was to the "manufacturer" of the stud shows that "I got lucky one mo' time" for him! :cool10: :cool10: :cool10: :cool10:

Ok, some of you have expressed interest in this idea and I appreciate your comments and kudos.

But being a simple guy with a simple shop I can not produce these cheaply or with any decent quality control to produce a product I would be proud of offering.

So..... I've talked to Bob Myers and he would be interested it making these for the folks that are interested in a set. The deal is you contact Bob via PM to let him know you want a set and he will let you know what he can do. He's talking using 1" aluminum round stock for his studs. There is no doubt that he will produce a stud far nicer than what I came up with.

So there it is..... PM the man if you want them.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Mike

Boy this was a slow developing, and long drawn out fart.

I remember your PM from back in October.

But I do really like it.

Speaking of long drawn out farts Fool, how are the valve shim tools doing?? Haven't heard anything about them for a long time.

Gary

Ok... got them on the bars. They lined up fine thanks to Danos drill work. The studs are 4" long and there is exactly 4" between the inner ends.

From the seated position the line of sight was good for the gauges. Nothing was obstructed. I hung one of my Venture bags on the riser and that holds the power cord for the GPS tucked in out of the way for use and storage.

In my opinion, 4" is about right. Maybe get away with 3" depending on what you decide to mount on them.

So that's a wrap on that project.

Mike

Good job Mike. Glad you all got that worked out alright.

Looks like an airplane console. " Snaglle to tower one, coming in on runway 211, Ventuer out, and two wheels down." :whistling:

Take care and be careful with all those gadgets on there Mike.

I got my new designed flag mount back today and I really like it. So does my partner. So I will be posting up the new design and pictures in the classifieds soon. Got a take more pictures and go through the changing process in the classifieds area. I am going to try and leave them all the same price, even though I will be out a little more on them. But they look so much better and are a lot lighter.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

Good idea, there Bob.

Nice steal, there Mike.

Just Kidding! Seriously, really great idea Mike and Bob. Either of you planning on making more for us non-machinists?

Make them out of wood:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

What you laughing about? My first mock up for these was made from a piece of broom stick.

That was left over from what I used to use for my first damper tool for fork rebuilds.

And every guy knows every good idea involves a woody. :eek:

You would be surprised what a good piece of hickory or white oak would hold. That is a good idea, and a lot easier to work with. Bob should consider making a few out of hard wood too.

Fuzzy :thumbsup2:

You would be surprised what a good piece of hickory or white oak would hold. That is a good idea, and a lot easier to work with. Bob should consider making a few out of hard wood too.

Fuzzy :thumbsup2:

Hope your handle bars don't fall off:080402gudl_prv:

Prairiehammer's vocation is a wood worker, just couldn't pass up a chance to needle him

Hope your handle bars don't fall off:080402gudl_prv:

Prairiehammer's vocation is a wood worker, just couldn't pass up a chance to needle him

I understand, but no kidding, I have seen some really nice wooden trailers that people have built to tow behind their bike. A fellow I know over in Rowan county Ky showed me his trailer he built from hardwood. He layered it many times over with a clear coating and it was absolutely a work of art, beautiful.

http://www.teardroptraveltrailers.com/wooden-teardrop-trailers

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_To_Build_A_Teardrop_Trailer/Trailer_Bed

Fuzzy

It occurred to me, Shorty.

I could use my wood turning lathe to turn a piece of HARD wood and especially, use the lathe to bore a concentric hole in the end and then tap that hole for the handlebar stud. I would have faith in the strength of the wood as a lever holding some devices, but I wouldn't feel so confident of the threads cut into the wood withstanding the torque of tightening the handlebars. Even if I were to use some Osage orange I have, I'd still be leery of those threads. I could try to epoxy a nut into an enlarged bore in the end, but it appears the walls of the bore would be necessarily quite thin in order to fit inside the recess on the handlebars.

All food for thought, though!

There is a trick to making very strong threads in wood.

1. Drill and tap for a HeliCoil of the correct size.

2. Soak the threads with thin cyanoacrylate adhesive.

3. After the glue dries, run the tap thru again just to clean things up.

4. Install the HeliCoil.

I have used this method to bolt some very highly stressed parts together.

Try it on some scrap wood. You can do this without the HeliCoil too, but it is slightly less strong. It is the CA glue binding all of the wood fibers back together that were abused by the tap that makes this work.

Now see what ya started!

Now I can see piles of saw dust, shaving everywhere.......

Teak accessories....:080402gudl_prv:

Brazilian Rosewood trim....:scratchchin:

Tiger eye Maple side panels.....:fingers crossed:

OMG!!

Wicker seat covers! :thumbdown:

NO NO NO! Stay away from the Bamboo! :doh:

Wait! They have been making helmets out of Bamboo haven't they.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/eicma-2011/2012-roof-helmets/

Carry on guys..... Never mind me. :smile5:

Mike

Bad idea, scratch that thought about the wood. A lot better to go with the aluminum from Bob. Just a brain fart ............. I think these pain pills are doing something to me, have done something t o m e , I a m n o t r e a l s u r e .

Fuzzy :rasberry: