IGNORED

Japanese Harley washes ashore on BC Coast

SilvrT

They say restore the bike, but really, after that long in salt water, what part of teh bike is worth keeping/fixing restoring, Basically they will have to build the bike from scratch with new parts.

It would be interesting to know what parts they keep on it though....:shock3:

I can only imagine the amount of corrosion inside the bike as well. Even the frame. So in the end is it going to really be worth the trouble and expense of doing a restoration?

Myself I'd just write it off as a loss and go from there.

Larry

It's about time the big money $$$ Harley Davidson Corp stepped up and did something for someone who is really deserving. Use the bike as a memory of the devestation of the tsunami and let Yokoyama choose any new bike in the Harley lineup that he wants.

It's about time the big money $$$ Harley Davidson Corp stepped up and did something for someone who is really deserving.

This is not the first time they've done this kind of thing. I read a while ago about this guy who'd put a zillion +/- miles on his HD ... and they gave him a brand new one. Wish I could find that story. I'd bet they've done things such as this several times. Let's face it ... there's really no other motocycle company like 'em.

The bike was inside a Styrofoam lined box used as a garage. That is what floated. I believe it is a local Victoria HD place that is going to do the restoration. I really would not want it back other than as a conversation piece due to the corrosion. From the picture there is a lot of it.

But the question is .... how many parts came off while it was in transit....

I ride with a friend and his 1996 Heritage Soft-tail. It is a beautiful bike, runs like a clock, and nothing has ever fallen off.

Don't you think you can give this bad-taste joke a rest? :confused24:

This reminds me of the joke about the old lord of the manor dying in England and his estate being sold off. Of great interest to buyers was the 300 years old axe that the old man's great-great-great-grandfather used to clear the forest and cut logs to build his first house, and had been used by every generation since to cut fire wood for the castles that now dotted the estate.

The agent assured prospective buyers that it was the original axe, despite the fact that the head and handle had been replaced many times over the years.

Perhaps this guy will recognise his registration (licence) plate and think he has his old bike back? :confused24:

This is not the first time they've done this kind of thing. I read a while ago about this guy who'd put a zillion +/- miles on his HD ... and they gave him a brand new one. Wish I could find that story.

I think you're thinking of former Wisconsin State Senator Dave Zien.

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/asp/museum/exhibits/heroesofharley/biopage1.asp?id=369

This guy lived about 3 hours from our state capitol, and rode there to go to work most days, including during the winter.

I think you're thinking of former Wisconsin State Senator Dave Zien.

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/asp/museum/exhibits/heroesofharley/biopage1.asp?id=369

This guy lived about 3 hours from our state capitol, and rode there to go to work most days, including during the winter.

yep, I believe that was the story I'd read...and remembered. Thanks for digging that up. :thumbsup2:

I ride with a friend and his 1996 Heritage Soft-tail. It is a beautiful bike, runs like a clock, and nothing has ever fallen off.

I apologize if I offended either you or your friend. I would think that by now even the most die-harl hardley afficionados among us would realize that the teasing is meant at least mostly in fun....

but perhaps not...

Do you think we should also stop joking around about 1st and 2nd generation Venturers? :rotf:

Harley is one outfit that knows how to treat their customers, I wish some of the others (you listening yamaha?) were as good.

Now only if all of the dealerships could get on board and treat the customers the way they should be treated. I would say that 75% of the time if not greater the bad taste people associate with the manufacturer should actually be dircted at the individual dealership.

Do you think we should also stop joking around about 1st and 2nd generation Venturers? :rotf:

joking? those 1st genners weren't joking.... they actually believe their antequated bikes are faster than a 2nd gen ... :stickpoke: :rotfl:

Hey GaryZ...check out the posts between 1st gen and 2nd gen, the harley guys get off easy.It is all in fun but hard to resist when so many harley guys have such extreme attitudes.

You know, the fun is the same on all the forums. On our ADVRider forum, the "jokes" are between the KTM's ( Keep The Money comin') mo%20money.gif and the KLR's ( Keep Locktight Ready) . The bantering goes back and forth. I first rode my friend's 2nd Gen that got me looking at Ventures. Then another friend bought a 1st Gen and I liked to "retro" aspect of it. That was before I found out how much faster and better a 1st Gen was. :stirthepot:

All in good fun. :smile5:

People need to lighten up. Of course we could just change course and leave the 2nd Gens and Harley's alone and just pick on the Gold/Silverwing guys.... Hmmm.....:stirthepot: :stirthepot:

1st Gen - :superman:

2nd Gens - :bang head:

Harleys - :bawling:

Goldwings - :doh:

:stirthepot: :whistling:

Now.... go out and ride it like ya stole it !

1st Gen - :superman:

(Superman was originally written in the 1930's... almost a century ago. 1st Gens... built in the last millenium)

2nd Gens - :bang head:

(banging head because Yamaha still ships with a cassette player.... but at least manufactured in this century)

Only stating the facts. 1st or 2nd Gen.... don't care which one is faster. Just know they both get you to where you are going.

The bike was inside a Styrofoam lined box used as a garage. That is what floated. I believe it is a local Victoria HD place that is going to do the restoration. I really would not want it back other than as a conversation piece due to the corrosion. From the picture there is a lot of it.

The Harley was in what apeared like the box off a U-Haul moving truck and it had been insulated with styrofoam. This man had been using it for storage of his belongings including the bike. Steve Drain Harley in Victoria picked up on the idea of getting the bike back to its owner. Steve, contacted harley and the bike is being shipped to Japan as is and it will be restored in Japan by Harley Davidson of Japan before being returned to the owner. What is a good restoration for a motorcycle that has spent 12 months in the ocean..... I dont think it matters to the man that owns it.... he lost everything he owned as well as 3 family members that day..... it is a bit of brightness in his life.

Ok and now I feel a need to comment on the "joking". There is a time and a place for everything.... If this was a thead about the devistation in Joplan would you feel so inclinde to be making a joke out of the thread... I think not. I totaly agree that there is always jokes going around about every style of bike out there but the timing is the key to any joke, that can change it from a joke to being hurtful.

As is the case with most on line forums, members should always think before typing.

:2cents: