IGNORED

Rode a harley, can't hardly move today

ediddy

One of my high school friends is selling his goldwing and harley softail to get a venture. We ride together but he has never ridden my venture. I told him he was welcome to ride my venture anytime. He came by yesterday with his wife and wanted to drive my venture. He had the harley softail on his trailer and asked if I would like to ride it along with them. I thought sure, so we rode for about 20 or 25 miles and came home. He was pleased with my venture and is definately going to by one. The harley softail is one of the worst bikes I have ever ridden in my life. It vibrated so bad at 60mph that all you can see in the rear view mirror is a streak. When I got off my back was hurting, I felt like I had been punched in my side and the skin was off my right big toe from shifting gears. This morning my lower right back is so sore I can't bend over. I'm sure the road king and ultra are better riders but I don't see how anyone can ride a softail. By the way, how did they come up with a name like softail. It should be called hardtail.

First off let me state this is not HD bashing. But I also had a chance to ride a soft-tail for my niece about a year ago and I had a similar experience. :missingtooth:

It just wasn't the bike for me. But I would like to ride the full dress and get a comparison to my RSV. Not that I would change just noisy I guess. Beside I like to ride all kinds of bikes doesn't matter the make. I would really like to ride a Vision too! :2cents:

Edited by Bubber

A good friend of mine just sold a 2004 Heritage Soft-tale with just fewer than 100K miles. He is now riding a new Fatboy Soft-tale and rides more than most. Every year he spends 2 weeks in the Rocky’s and comes home with about 8K more miles than he left with. His bikes run flawless and have never left him stranded. I think Harleys are great bikes and have come a long way in the past years.

oops. The skin was rubbed off my let toe. The harley fat boy, heritage classic and softail duece are different bikes. I'm sure they are a good ride. The bike I rode is the softail custom which is the bike with a small front tire. I have ridden a fat boy and it was a smooth ride after you got up to speed but my back was killing me after about 90 miles.

Exactly the reason I gave up H-D's after 30 years. A 30 mile ride would have my knees, back and butt hurting so I just stopped riding altogether. A few years later I tried out a Road Star and bought it (my sigpic) then bought the Venture a few months later. The Harleys were good when I was young and it didn't matter.

Last Sunday was Harley demo days .... and like every other year, I go and ride 'em. I'm partial to the Ultra Limited. Tried the Street Glide, Ultra Limited, and the Trike (just for fun). Then I got back on my Wing and was reaffirmed of how much easier it is to drive in comparison ... and then there's the POWER difference!!! :sign woo hoo:

oops. The skin was rubbed off my let toe. The harley fat boy, heritage classic and softail duece are different bikes. I'm sure they are a good ride. The bike I rode is the softail custom which is the bike with a small front tire. I have ridden a fat boy and it was a smooth ride after you got up to speed but my back was killing me after about 90 miles.

There's your problem right there. You are not supposed to ride a Harley that far! You shine your Harley, ride it to the coffee shop, get your coffee and stand besides it wearing your Harley Davidson jacket and bandana and watch your Harley buddies admire it.:stirthepot:

:beer:

If I am not mistaken a Softail frame and rear suspension is the same on all "trim levels" of the Softail (Heritage,Springer,Fat Boy,Night Train, Custom, ect..). Are you sure that your buddies bike didn't have some suspension modification such and being lowered? I have owned and ridden a few miles on a dyna and I wouldn't say that it was harsh at all. The ride is firm but not going to cause any back aches. The Softail is a step up in comfort from a dyna. Should ride smoother in stock setup. I also agree that if this bike was shaking or vibrating badly at 60 MPH there was something wrong with the bike. All of the Harleys I have owned shook and vibrated during idle and when at low RPM; however, they all smooth out at speed. I think that Harley makes a great motorcycle. I also think that Yamaha makes a superb motorcycle. I have a passion for two wheels. Doesn't matter what the name badge says. They are all fun in there own ways.

I have a Road Glide Custom, which is a lowered bike compared to the Road Glide Ultra. I also have an 08 RSTD. Both have drivers backrests. I changed bars on my RG with a 79 dollar pair of HD bars. The RSTD is stock seat with stock bars.

I put 4800 miles on my RG, and 17 on my rstd last summer. No comparison in comfort. Of course a RSTD compared to a venture is night and day as well. I will get a jolt every now and again with the lowered suspension, but its not bad, and it doesnt vibrate when you get it rolling.

The thing that strikes me most when reading my own post is this. I need to get out more, only 4817 miles in one summer? I need to start slacking off more!