IGNORED

Michigan Helmet Law

rickardracing

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... my helmet, and man do I remember that pavement :depressed:going by my visor! I wear full helmet all the time, and no one rides with me without a helmet.

Just saying. Be safe all. :fingers-crossed-emo

I believe CO requires it for the PASSENGER but not the driver. THAT does NOT make sense to me!

Jack T

... my helmet, and man do I remember that pavement :depressed:going by my visor! I wear full helmet all the time, and no one rides with me without a helmet.

Just saying. Be safe all. :fingers-crossed-emo

I believe CO requires it for the PASSENGER but not the driver. THAT does NOT make sense to me!

Jack T

None of the Rally Masters affiliated to the Iron Butt Association, even loosely, will allow riders to take part without Helmet, Gloves, Arms and Legs covered and Decent footwear, regardless of State Laws.

I too have enjoyed the view of pavement going by the visor while the armor protected my hide. I just can't imagine the view being any better without the lid, I always wear it.

I didn't make it to 69 years old because the government told me to, I made it because of choices that I made.

I second that and thrid and fourth........... I pay a ton of taxes in this state to have someone telling me whats's best for me. Now to get this Gov. to take over Detriot and he will be a living legend.

I find it amazing that people will wear protective leathers to protect thier hide but refuse to wear a Helmet. Just sayin.

P/S I too have scraped a helmet or two over the years and am thankful it was only my helmet. In my accident in 2007 I did about six somersaults from 40 km an hour, wrote off the bike and walked away. I am sure NO helmet then, would have meant NO Saddlebum today.

:thumbsup2::Avatars_Gee_George:

Edited by saddlebum

My wife and I snowmobile in Michigan the UP, we were with friends one weekend and one of my buddies was not wearing his helment while driving in the parking lot to get some gas when a police car pulled in front of him and stopped him. He told him to put his helment on.

Now they can pretty much stop you for anything just to make you have the correct insurance.

Like my wife says we have helment head for for about 9 to 10 months out of the year.

Richie R

In a memo sent to all posts, Michigan State Police Director Col. Kriste Kibbey Etue clarified for officers how the law will be enforced.

-- The law does not require a motorcycle operator to carry or present proof he or she has a motorcycle endorsement for at least two years or has successfully passed the motorcycle safety course.

-- The law does not require a motorcycle operator or passenger to carry proof of the $20,000 security required to operate or ride a motorcycle without a helmet.

-- Officers may not stop a motorcyclist for not wearing a helmet based on the possibility the operator or passenger may be in violation of the helmet law.

-- Operators and passengers who violate the new law are responsible for a civil infraction.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120413/POLITICS02/204130397#ixzz1s1m7I9W3

people driving convertibles arent required to wear a helmet...why should we??

"Let those who ride decide". "Let those who wear opt out of paying for those who don't" I know it's not as catchy, but it should be an option. $20k worth of insurance? That's a joke! That might cover the helicopter trip and a few hours in the ER. Who supports the vegetable for the rest of their life?

I think that a lot of members are missing the point.

This has nothing to do with whether or not you should wear a helmet.

It has everything to do with whether or not you have the choice to wear the helmet.

The helmet law wasn't established because your local government cares about whether or not you crash and die.

The helmet law was created because your insurance company was afraid that you would crash and die or worse yet, crash and require long term medical treatment.

So when I read the headline about repealing the law, I wondered how Michigan got that past the insurance companies.

Read the article and it becomes clear. The additional insurance coverage was the buy off.

I wonder how the authorities will confirm that a helmet-less rider has the additional insurance.

the authoritieswill not be able to confirm it. its not listed on i.d. cards the amounts of liability you carry. the article i posted earlier clearly states that the cops cannot ask you to prove coverage, nor even stop you to find out if your covered appropriately. it is an insurance gig, plain and simple. thats why Mich repealed it. obviously, the insurance lobbyists didnt have enough pull. thats all im saying. i just rode around upper mich for 3 hours without my helmet, even pulled up next to a state trooper and he waived.:cool10:

I'm glad that another state is letting the rider decide.

Living in MY I am required to wear one. Many years ago on a trip to Ohio I crossed the state line and pulled over to take off my helmet. After about 5 miles of "wind in my hair" and bugs in my face, I put it back on. And ride with one 99% of the time.

I too have heard the sound of helmet hitting pavement or dirt. Glad it wasn't the melon sound of my head hitting.

I do wear a half helmet at times. About as much risk as I want to take.

:322:

Guys,

They don't give a s.... about the riders.

Nobody read about the reasons for this? To attract more riders, so they can come and drink and spend and finally get an accident and spend more money on Dr, Hospitals and Insurances....

Somebody said on the news: We're going to have more people on the Bars, they going to come to drink and the Patrons are going to be more happy....

That is all about, who said that they care about Michigan Motorcycle Drivers???

Cheers!!!

:322:

people driving convertibles arent required to wear a helmet...why should we??

Because when someone hits you in your convertable, your probably not going to get knocked to the ground and slide accross the pavement whereas if you get hit on your bike and your not wearing a helmet, your going to be seriously injured if not killed.

Now this is solely my opinion. You have the right to not wear a brain bucket AND I have the right as a tax payer NOT to have to support an individual that turned themselves into a turnip and has to be fed through a tube for the rest of their life by being a burden to the state and tax payers or through higher medical and auto/motorcycle insurance for me.

I seen the results of a 50/55 mph motorcycle accident. My wife. Had she not been wearing a helmet, she would be dead. Period. All I can say is that all the poeple that do not wear a helmet, do me a favor. Take out a small cheap life insurance policy out on yourself and make me the beneficiary.

It's all about managing risk. If we all drove and rode 15mph or less there would be very few highway injuries or fatalities. Most of us are willing to trade some extra risk to save time. Our speed laws reflect that.

Some people think a motorcycle is too risky under any circumstance. If they got to make the rules we wouldn't be driving up insurance rates by riding motorcycles at all.

Personally, I always wear a full face helmet, armor, gloves and boots. Anything less is more risk than I'm willing to take.

Some people feel that they are appropriately managing risk with a t-shirt and half helmet - something I wouldn't consider doing. But, fortunately for them, I only get to make the rules for me.

Now people that want no gear whatsoever have the right to decide for themselves. While I wouldn't do it I defend their right to make their own decision. Anything less would be hypocritical because I don't want the 15MPH or no motorcycle crowd making my decision for me.

THANK YOU Governor Snyder for giving us the choice to wear a lid or not....

It's a matter of personal choice.....:thumbsup2:

Shari and I DO NOT ridicule anyone who chooses to wear a helmet,so don't bash us for choosing not to wear a lid....

This is a great day for the state of Michigan..........

Guest Swifty
THANK YOU Governor Snyder for giving us the choice to wear a lid or not....

It's a matter of personal choice.

Shari and I DO NOT ridicule anyone who chooses to wear a helmet,so don't bash us for choosing not to wear a lid....

This is a great day for the state of Michigan..........

Is it really a matter of personal choice? Or is it society's choice? When does an issue become the "people's choice"? The wise critic on this topic would NOT focus their ridicule at anyone in particular, Dan. From this observer's perspective, (even while BlackOwl is watching the countdown) the ridicule on issues like this (in whatever country/state they occur) should ALWAYS be focused on the politics behind a "people's democracy" that would allow corporate influence peddling or lobbying into the legislative process. Sooo...

Helmet laws...let those who ride decide? or the insurance companies decide? or the doctors decide? or the helmet manufacturers decide? OR let the people decide?

Stand your ground law...let those who feel threatened decide? or the gun manufacturers decide, or the undertakers decide? or the midnight sidewalk hikers decide? OR let the people decide?

War on drugs...let those who like to get stoned decide? or the health professionals decide? or the prison guard unions decide? OR let the people decide?