IGNORED

Blacked out Chrome

the eyebrows on the G2 bikes will come off as they are held on with double sided tape. (slide some nylon fishing line underneath and gently saw back and forth)

I dont know of anyone doing the chrome trim around the headlight etc. but it might look pretty sharp!

Brian

Edited by friesman

There is a product that is like paint for chrome to turn into black chrome I havent used it but watched on one of those hot rod shows. They were using it on chrome valve covers looked like pretty good results might be a option for you.

I painted my whole bike with bedliner paint and in the process i painted the chrome VW Bug headlight ring and the chrome windshield trim... I tossed the plastic chrome accent pieces a few years ago... The whole paint job cost me about $80 including sandpaper... I also painted the clear plastic pieces at the bottom of the fairing...

I have used that product before with mixed results.But i am sure it would do the trick.The other one I was considering,since my 2012 bike will be black anyways, is self sticking faux carbon fibre .If I do not like I can always remove.

I painted my whole bike with bedliner paint and in the process i painted the chrome VW Bug headlight ring and the chrome windshield trim... I tossed the plastic chrome accent pieces a few years ago... The whole paint job cost me about $80 including sandpaper... I also painted the clear plastic pieces at the bottom of the fairing...

How about some pic of your bike with the bedliner paint. Must be pretty easy to keep clean eh?

How about some pic of your bike with the bedliner paint. Must be pretty easy to keep clean eh?

Why would you think that, my bed liner is always dirty.......

But I do find this whole thing interesting, I hate chrome but have never found a good way to cover it. The only time I ever had any success with covering chrome was the chrome front fender on an old Yami 650 that I painted black to match the rest of the bike. I did that by starting with a power sander and 80 grit to "scuff" the surface.

I painted the Chrome gas cap with flat black, high heat paint. I simply cleaned it good with lacquer thinner, applied a coat of primer and then the flat black. It never chipped or peeled after 3 years.

I'd toyed with the idea of painting part of the "cyclops ring" around the headlight.

Here's a pic I "doctored" in Photopaint ...

[ATTACH]65512[/ATTACH]

... and here's one with everything blacked out

[ATTACH]65515[/ATTACH]

Edited by SilvrT

I scuff sanded the chrome piece, that goes around the gas cap and over the ignition switch, with 400 grit sandpaper and then put a heavy coat of "rattle can" black on it. It dried to a crinkle finish, which looks pretty good. Now no more blinding reflection on the windshield. Oh and I cut the bottom off a can kozzy and put it over the gas cap, to deter that reflection on the windshield.

:bluesbrother:

I painted the Chrome gas cap with flat black, high heat paint. I simply cleaned it good with lacquer thinner, applied a coat of primer and then the flat black. It never chipped or peeled after 3 years.

I'd toyed with the idea of painting part of the "cyclops ring" around the headlight.

Here's a pic I "doctored" in Photopaint ...

[ATTACH]65512[/ATTACH]

... and here's one with everything blacked out

[ATTACH]65515[/ATTACH]

Silvr t can you do a photochop with a side or 45 degree look with the cyclops nose blacked out and chrome trim on windshield and front fender blacked out. Leave the forks chrome.

Silvr t can you do a photochop with a side or 45 degree look with the cyclops nose blacked out and chrome trim on windshield and front fender blacked out. Leave the forks chrome.

Hows this...?

[ATTACH]65523[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65522[/ATTACH]

• 3 weeks later...
I have used that product before with mixed results.But i am sure it would do the trick.The other one I was considering,since my 2012 bike will be black anyways, is self sticking faux carbon fibre .If I do not like I can always remove.

i did some carbon accents on my first gen.... i think jdmtoy has it on sale right now...