IGNORED

One lil tweak..one BIG mistake.

That screw should not be in there tight at all. The bolt seats on the shoulder so that you 'cannot' overtighten it. So the screw part never really seats and should be finger loose. Try a small precision screwdriver or awl, you just maybe able to wheeew, that was easy!

:sign yeah that:

Exactly!

This is the same type of break that happens with the side stand bolt. Folks tighten it and then tighten it some more. It can only go so tight because of the shoulder. It ends up breaking because of stress where the reduction is from the shoulder to the thread size.

In most cases the broken off threads section is little more than finger tight. Should be easy to remove the broken threaded section.

Access and getting the grip on it is the trick on the cover bolts.

Come on KIC, don't throw in the towel. God knows we don't want to see you on a 2nd gen. :yikes::stickpoke: Seriously this is probably not as big a problem as you think it is. Follow the force, let the force guide you. In other word, listen to the advise of your fellow VR's. It will work out.

Come on KIC, don't throw in the towel. God knows we don't want to see you on a 2nd gen. :yikes::stickpoke: Seriously this is probably not as big a problem as you think it is. Follow the force, let the force guide you. In other word, listen to the advise of your fellow VR's. It will work out.

The first Generation force has been shadowing me at best...:)... Followed the advise, pulled the cap...wish I had known what that big hose in the middle was before I pulled it at the last minute. :shock3:

Got the cam cap off... used a small screwdriver to turn the broken thread portion out and reinstalled the cam cap.

Borrowed a valve bolt off of the 87, which will be replaced once I order one today.

Haven't got it back together yet because that pesky "work crap" keeps getting in the way.

Hopefully later today.

Marcarl - used your small screw driver trick and it worked beautifully... thanks..:happy65:

:cool10: :cool10: :cool10: :cool10:

The first Generation force has been shadowing me at best...:)... Followed the advise, pulled the cap...wish I had known what that big hose in the middle was before I pulled it at the last minute. :shock3:

I thought you said you were an investigator???

Was that big hose hiding behind a 2nd gen faux air cooling cover the reason you didn't see it.

:rotfl:

Powers of observation my butt.

:sign brain fart:

Gary

I thought you said you were an investigator???

Was that big hose hiding behind a 2nd gen faux air cooling cover the reason you didn't see it.

:rotfl:

Powers of observation my butt.

:sign brain fart:

Gary

My investigative powers of observation told me that the hose was in my way. My not so powerful mechanical skills didn't tell me that it was the radiator hose. It went up toward the the top of the gas tank. Thought maybe "breather hose" Lesson learned. :shock3:

My investigative powers of observation told me that the hose was in my way. My not so powerful mechanical skills didn't tell me that it was the radiator hose. It went up toward the the top of the gas tank. Thought maybe "breather hose" Lesson learned. :shock3:

So it wasn't the big black hose that surprised you then, Huh?

Must have been the gush of that green slimy stuff coming out of it.

None of us were mechanics when born, all this stuff is a lifelong learning experience. Some good, some hurt, some cost. But all lessons.

Gary

Well boys-n-girls, here is the latest. It went from really thinking the bike was down and out to.....riding it today ! :happy65::happy65::happy65::happy65:

Taking off the valve cover, removing the cam cap, removing the broken bolt piece, and for now, resealing and changing the washers on the bolts to a much thinner washer. Put it all together and rode it this afternoon.

I plan on ordering the new valve cover seals and bolt rubbers and doing them all at the same time. This will just keep it running until I am off travel. I really didn’t want to leave it torn apart for a month while I’m gone. I’m glad I had the 87 to borrow a new shoulder bolt from.

I really want to thank all of you for your input and advice and putting me on the right repair track. :thumbsup2: :thumbsup: :clap2::ice_thy-vi101212101

The hardest part was having to take the top fairing piece off to retrieve the radiator cap when I dropped it taking it off. So much for oily fingers.

I also want to say that the washer trick really will work IF you get the right thin washers. I had to go to 3 different Bolt and Hardware Specialty places today to find the correct washer. The last place had them. Ironically, the guy gave me 24 of them for free from a large container. He said it was easier than ringing them up. The thicker ones from that I originally bought at Ace Hardware cost me like .30-cents apiece.

He gave me the number of the washer: 3/8 15FW3-038