IGNORED

RSTD 2005 with 107,000 miles???

I'm considering making a purchase in the next day or so. Found a 2005 RSTD in great cosmetic condition, but has 107,000 miles on it. It's at a used bike dealer with no history or documentation but he claims it was a trade in from original owner who did coast to coast touring on it and hasn't had any problems with it.

The rear tire is bald, fluids appear old and dark, but the price is about $1500 under book value compared to 30,000 mile bikes with similar equipment. It does have a new windshield and new seat. Hard bags are nice also.

I've had ST1100 with 94k miles in the past with no fear of the bike letting me down, but I had receipts that went back 5 years and A LOT of work was done to it.

Would you take the chance? What would you inspect before laying out the cash? The price is $3500. If a rebuild or major failure is eminent at 107k, it would be smarter to go with a $5000 bike with lower miles. Considering the highway touring it's had, I wonder how religious the owner was about oil changes and valve adjustments? Anyone else with 6 digits on their odometer? :confused24:

The miles are nothing for that engine. The dark fluids would make me wary. Although not an indicater of neglect it would leave one to believe that. If you buy it, change all the fluids (oil, clutch, brakes), pull the rear wheel and driveline and lubricate those.

:farmer:

Personally, I would be more leery of the dealer than of the bike. Any dealer - even a used bike dealer - who doesn't have enough pride in his inventory to put a new rear tire on it and change all the fluids before offering it for sale seems to be a pretty low-quality dealer to me.

I would look elsewhere, not because of the bike but because of the dealer.

First of all, welcome to the forum. I hope your stay is enjoyable. It is well worth becoming a paid member, especially if you get the RSTD.

Personally, I would be more leery of the dealer than of the bike. Any dealer - even a used bike dealer - who doesn't have enough pride in his inventory to put a new rear tire on it and change all the fluids before offering it for sale seems to be a pretty low-quality dealer to me.

I would look elsewhere, not because of the bike but because of the dealer.

:sign yeah that:

+1 to FR. I have a 2006 with nearly 70,000 miles on it. Had I ridden it for the first 2 years (previous owner put on 2K in 2Yr) and last summer (I worked out of state), it would easily have 107,000 miles on it. The miles don't bother me, but the dealer's lack of enthusiasm would.

You don't know about this bike, and you would think the dealer would want to service it. Seeing the shape it is in now, would you? Knowing that fixing tire and fluids would cost $200 and 1 hour? I bet that when you ride it, if you do, the carbs will be out of sync.

That's a great bike and a reasonable price, but unknown shape. I'd have an experienced member here go with you to inspect it.

Dave

Thanks for the input guys. I've always joined forums to the bike of choice over the years.

If this transaction goes through, I'll be learning all I can about the bike right here, probably out of no choice.

I like the style of the bike and protection it looks like it can provide while still having a V4 engine. http://www.championsyamaha.com/new_galleria.asp?sid=01999628X3K7K2012J8I03I41JAMQ2218R0&veh=13151&pov=2524338

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcd/2868145472.html

The bike is 75 miles away. Tomorrow I plan to make the trip to check it out further with a thorough test ride.

Thanks for the input guys. I've always joined forums to the bike of choice over the years.

If this transaction goes through, I'll be learning all I can about the bike right here, probably out of no choice.

I like the style of the bike and protection it looks like it can provide while still having a V4 engine. http://www.championsyamaha.com/new_galleria.asp?sid=01999628X3K7K2012J8I03I41JAMQ2218R0&veh=13151&pov=2524338

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcd/2868145472.html

The bike is 75 miles away. Tomorrow I plan to make the trip to check it out further with a thorough test ride.

I can't imagine driving that many miles and not having passing lamps. That is an absolute safety upgrade, IMO. Added all that chrome, and no passing lamps. Or luggage rack. Seems odd.

Dave

He may have pulled off the add-ons since a dealer doesn't give anything on trade for them.

Also, it's too much for that bike.

$1500 lower than a regular mileage machine.

$400 for a rear tire

I don't even want to guess what a dealer would charge to flush the fluids.

That $1500 savings is going to disappear real quick to get the bike road worthy again.

If the dealer were to service it, new tires, neck bearings, yada yada yada, Maybe, but as-is, no.

I got the dealer link to work. Looks like he left the accessories on it. Just no driving lights or rack.

That looks like a decent radio on there as well.

If they were to at least put a rear tire on and PROPERLY service the splines and final drive....It would close to what they're asking.

I can't imagine driving that many miles and not having passing lamps. That is an absolute safety upgrade, IMO. Added all that chrome, and no passing lamps. Or luggage rack. Seems odd.

Dave

The dealer said the guy bought the same bike but a newer model, and took the passing lamps and luggage rack and put it on the newer bike (2007).

I'll check the steering bearing when I get there. I got a quote of $170 for a Dunlop rear tire, mounted and balanced for this bike. The front tire is fine.

I never would entertain a dealer shop for any basic fluid service personally and rather use a $60 hr independent shop for work I can't do myself.

What I'm concerned about is internals on the engine and transmission with those miles, the final drive gear wear, stuff that would be in the $1000s. Tires, pads, fluid flushes, accessories, that's all about owning a bike and I don't consider those major expenses.

Dealer wanted extra for any work done to this bike.

I got the dealer link to work. Looks like he left the accessories on it. Just no driving lights or rack.

That looks like a decent radio on there as well.

If they were to at least put a rear tire on and PROPERLY service the splines and final drive....It would close to what they're asking.

He listed the bike for $4495, then dropped it $3799, now he's at $3500. I was shooting for $3300 but he won't do it. There is no dealer fee but a $24 tag transfer is $90. He will take a credit card, which is convenient since I have a 0% interest card for 1 year I can use.

Again my concern isn't lamps, tire, or dirty fluids, that stuff I can handle. My fear is timing chains, trans gears/bearings, u joints, worn rings/valves, the big dollar stuff that suddenly breaks down. I understand it varies bike to bike on how it was cared for.

I find it hard to imagine a 1 owner bike having a guy keep all that paint and chrome clean and neglect the service, knowing he was going to clock so many miles/long trips with it.

I never did put the passing lamps on mine. I was perfectly content with my led headlamp. Most of the passing lamps I see on the road aren't any more affective to me than a single headlamp on high beam unless they have the led sunspots.

Thanks. I just mapquested the address, it's 112 miles / 2 hrs 12 minutes from my house. Pretty good ride to find a few undisclosed issues. We fired back and forth 8 emails yesterday but today he didn't respond to any of my emails or calls. Strange. Maybe with Daytona bike week starting, he wants to find another customer willing to pay more, or doesn't think I'm going to show up.

I never did put the passing lamps on mine. I was perfectly content with my led headlamp. Most of the passing lamps I see on the road aren't any more affective to me than a single headlamp on high beam unless they have the led sunspots.

This would be a first for me, most of the bikes I've owned are sport touring like ST1100 and Concours C-10 with a fairing. Installing passing lamps would be mostly cosmetic.

What does a passing lamp kit cost?

I have a 2006 RSTD with 85k miles (and a RSV with 35k miles). Real happy with both, especially love my RSTD (my solo bike).

We all say they are good for 150 to 200k miles,,,, but I think the bike you are looking at was "rode hard,,,,". I would go with spending $1500 more for the one with 30k miles.

Mike G

Well for an FYI if the engine is totally tanked or craps out after you buy it, there is a used one on ebay for $1000.00 plus shipping with only 6000 miles on it. So now you would be at 4500 with 107K on everything else (rear end wheel bearings drive shaft, suspension, etc. Plus you need to buy a tire, etc.

If you have a budget your staying within look it over real good first and consider the total cost of getting it road worthy. If you have some extra money, I would look for a lower mileage example.

I have had a Honda ST1100. I like my RTSD but will tell you, unfortunately Yamahas are not Hondas. All things equal, I would take a high mileage Honda over a Yamaha, no offense to my fellow VR members. That being said I'm not concerned about the 107 K on the engine, short of running it out of oil or water, its bullet proof. If the valves were never adjusted, thats another concern. but 107K on everything else may be the biggest issue.

Think long and hard about total cost.

RSTDdog

Maybe the dealer can get you in touch with the previous owner and you could ask him a few questions. I would want to know above all else when the last time the valves were adjusted, if ever. If you can't get the right answers or no answers, then walk away!!

I got a call back just now from the dealer about an appointment, so it's too late to rush there (112 miles one way) today. Planning on seeing it in person tomorrow, the test drive should tell how tight the bike feels.

Craiglist current listing for the 30k bike, (thinking I can get it for $5000 cash);

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/mcy/2823095534.html

It doesn't have passing lamps either but it's a bike with records, new rear tire and fluids, and it does have the rack and electronic cruise. Not too fond of the "red" color, but I've ridden worse.

His stated fuel economy averaging 34 mpg and no valve adjustment yet leaves more work to be done. Feb 17 ad, and no response yet, may have already sold or he gave up?

Looking at the asking prices, the $3500 bike seems to be the best deal for my area. Check it out, some 1997, 1999 bikes have a crazy asking price.

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/search/mcy?query=Royal+Star&catAbb=mca&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=&hasPic=1

i'll go ahead and answer for Tom, hello,your breaking up!! i've ridden with tom and know the bike and it's a sweet ride.i think he asking 7500 for it but i'm sure if you whissper sweet nothing into his ear he may knock off 5 or 10 bucks.LOL not going to say what he'll take for it cause thats not my place but i do know if i were looking for a ride i would buy it no questions ask. good luck on your quest. these guys here have more knowledge about these bikes than YAMAHA because they dont sell them they live them.